Sign in to follow this  
dirtyrocks

Palomar's north side

Hi All,

I am thinking of exploring the north side of Palomar. It looks like there are some trails going up the mountain from Holcomb village area. Any tips on riding around Palomar would be much appreciated.

Start around noon? Spend some time exploring the trails and eventually head back down the east grade (assuming the trails connect up at the top). I'll be on a KLR650 riding cautiously on unfamilair terrain. I like to stop frequently to soak in the views and sip on ice cold water (I've learned to throw in a couple of frozen water bottles in my pack). Sure would appreciate the company of other riders.

Anyone interested in riding Palomar tails this Saturday?

Roger

PalomarJune2009019-1.jpg

PalomarJune2009018.jpg

Look for these landmarks for a point of entry off of the 79. I have commitments this weekend or I'd join you. Great views from the mtn.

Hi All,

I am thinking of exploring the north side of Palomar. It looks like there are some trails going up the mountain from Holcomb village area. Any tips on riding around Palomar would be much appreciated.

Start around noon? Spend some time exploring the trails and eventually head back down the east grade (assuming the trails connect up at the top). I'll be on a KLR650 riding cautiously on unfamilair terrain. I like to stop frequently to soak in the views and sip on ice cold water (I've learned to throw in a couple of frozen water bottles in my pack). Sure would appreciate the company of other riders.

Anyone interested in riding Palomar tails this Saturday?

Roger

I'd be down but my bike is in pieces right now :wacko:

Hey Dirty Rocks,

I'm on duty, Sat other wise I would ride up there with ya for sure. I was just up there a few weeks ago. I'd definitely be up for riding with you up there another time that I'm not working.

Palomar Divide Road at Hwy79 looks like an excellent place to start - thanks for the pics TrophyHunter!

I am planning on getting there at noon tomorrow.

I'd like to see how far I can go on Palomar Divide. Google maps shows a pretty large break in the trail west of the observatory, which has got me curiuos about finding a relatively tame path between them.

http://maps.google.c...043945&t=h&z=15

I am definately going riding up there this saturday and will be wanting to return to these trails soon. Not this trip, but next Palomar trip I am thinking of packing a some charcol and small ice chest for a modest BBQ at the campgrounds (I'm slowly progressing towards packing for longer trips).

TrophyHunter, Andrew, Drabnor and Wakemedic (and everyone else), lets find a day to ride this beautiful mountain!

And still looking for others for tomorrow ride

Roger,

If you're still riding tomorrow, I'm in. Where do you want to meet. I will be coming from the Poway area.

John

626-533-1352

I am most definately riding tomorrow and will be at Palomar Divide and Hwy79 at noon tomorrow.

Poway is on my way (riding up from Clairemont) and I was planning on taking the 78 east from Ramona to 79 north to Palomar Divide pictured by TrophyHunter.

I'll be on a blueish-green KLR650 with yellow helmet.

(cell number sent using pm)

DirtyRocks, I could be down for this ride. Been wanting to check out the roads around Palomar and this looks to be a good weekend for riding. What would you say your skill level is and how fast do you plan on going? I take it relatively easy and would consider myself a cautious intermediate rider. I'll be riding an '02 Suzuki Dr-z400s. I.M. me your number if you think this'll work out and we'll talk more.

Thanks,

Paul

Or just leave a message here. I just realized you may not want to give out your number.

Edited by DirtSurfin

Was up there Saturday, ran behind schedule getting to the trail head though. Didnt get there till noon, rode anyway. Saw a couple sets of tracks but never caught up. Pretty good, enjoyable, easy riding. Looking forward to doing more exploring on those trails. Thinking about camping at Oak Grove just west of the trail head and getting an earlier start next time.