Sign in to follow this  
Olivenhainer

Registration quandry

We've pretty much cleared out our collection of pure dirt bikes and switched to a nice array of dual sports. One of the last bikes to go is a nice 2007 Honda CRF150. This is the third CRF150 we've owned, and here's the rub: a while ago I sold a 2006 CRF150 we had, but mistakenly gave the buyer the title to the 2007 CRF150. Had a guy come over to buy the 2007, cash in hand... Go to give him the title, and he looks at the bikes VIN, and it's wrong. So, we figured out the title mixup. Of course, now I'm looking like a scammer / doofus / idiot. So, I've got a nice 2007 CRF150 sitting here with no title, and a title to a 2006 CRF150 that I sold to a guy in Alpine, but don't have his name, address etc anymore. I just know that a trip to the dreaded DMV is in order, and can't imagine what they'll do. Any bright ideas?

Ed

We've pretty much cleared out our collection of pure dirt bikes and switched to a nice array of dual sports. One of the last bikes to go is a nice 2007 Honda CRF150. This is the third CRF150 we've owned, and here's the rub: a while ago I sold a 2006 CRF150 we had, but mistakenly gave the buyer the title to the 2007 CRF150. Had a guy come over to buy the 2007, cash in hand... Go to give him the title, and he looks at the bikes VIN, and it's wrong. So, we figured out the title mixup. Of course, now I'm looking like a scammer / doofus / idiot. So, I've got a nice 2007 CRF150 sitting here with no title, and a title to a 2006 CRF150 that I sold to a guy in Alpine, but don't have his name, address etc anymore. I just know that a trip to the dreaded DMV is in order, and can't imagine what they'll do. Any bright ideas?

Ed

I use a private registration business in el cajon ask for nikki. she can do anything,and you dont have to go the D.M.V....#619441-8263....good luck.

DMV

Complete the necessary docs, print 'em, mail them in, wait. Put "Lost" on everything....don't try to explain it to them as it will just complicate things.

I agree with Trophy. Just file for a lost title and do not explain how it was lost. It does happen all the time. What could complicate things however is if the buyer who got the wrong title registered that bike in his name with that title and never checked the vin. Now his reg. would not reflect the correct bike. Hmmmm... I would go to a registration service and talk with them.

Exactly. If I was sure the buyer had not transferred the bike to his name, I would simply file a lost title. However, chances are he did transfer it, and now we each have title to the wrong bike. I think I'll call the title service folks...

Good point Ben..didn't think about the other guy filing what he had. This could get a little messy unwinding the incorrectly filed title.

Write down your VIN and ENG number of the current bike. The service may be able to access DMV computers and tell you who the bike is registered to. Get them the correct title that you have and have them sign their (incorrect) title back to you. Each of you do it as a gift so there's no sales tax and pay the $15 transfer fee (for each title) and wait for your new correct title in the mail. It'd be doing a favor for the other guy too as he's gonna run into this same problem some day.

I could get this done in a few minutes but I can only access DMV at work for criminal investigations. If it gets really sticky, PM me.....I've worked with a few DMV investigators over the years that could sort this out.

The Mistress and I recently dealt with this exact problem on our dune buggy. It took the DMV 3 months to make the correction and get us the correct title. You can use a DMV service, but it will not really save you any time. We had to bring in our buggy so they could do a vin verification. Once the local office processed the paperwork, a report was filed for the correction and was sent to Sacramento. Good luck with your DMV adventure!