Dirtyrocks- we waited 20 minutes and you never showed; sorry if we left too early

I'll post a full ride report later- this is DrZ on his DRZ with trophy sweeping on trail 3

IMG-20110515-00313.jpg

We did bear valley, kernan, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8...so; two black diamonds, a few easy trails, some graded fire road and some street-

This back tire makes for a "different" kind of fun

IMG-20110515-00310.jpg

I was planning on bringing the WR, but the oil change went awry, and I had to bring the drz with 15-40 gearing and a street tire

Actually; it did better than I wouldve though...not that I would recommend it

I jumped from group to group out there today but I did see your posse near four corners I think.

Good fun.

Had much fun today riding with Bob & Ken. Nice to finally get the DRZ out to Corral work it and me out.

Thanx guys!post-14085-026879800 1305500503_thumb.jp

Looks like a fun day..so bizarre how cool it is still...Mid May !...extended spring riding season is nice..

Was a good day out there for us too. Son did great on the 200 for the first time up there, he's only rode the dez before on it. Had the funniest thing happen right after we saw you guys at the end of 1. We were heading toward 5 on Skye Valley(?), cruising 4th gear when I look back to check on my son and something catches my eye down low, a stinking jack rabbit is keeping pace maybe 10 feet back from me. I can't believe it! I'm kinda of shocked and look down again and that sucker passes me, ears tucked back and keeps flying down the road haulin butt! I had to gas it and hit another gear to catch him and he finally pulls into a bush and turns around headin back from where he came. My son almost had a headon with him and we pull over laughing. He said he was following me for a bit before he passed me. But we ended up hitting 5 and part way up 3 back down to 11 and then trail 911, I'm confused on that one. Theres a short little loop right by the road at the west end marked 911 and then the good long one around it that wasn't marked. Back to the Corral Canyon campground and up 9, around 8 both ways, down 7, the singletrack that has no #'s, a lot of good stuff and the kid did great, I was impressed. Felt great, I haven't been up there for a year and a half and that new 911 trail is good stuff, or is that trail called ranger since it isn't marked at either end that I could see. Got a little wet, actually had rain drops but mostly mist and finished off at the BBQ with some hot dogs. A good day

Looks like a fun day..so bizarre how cool it is still...Mid May !...extended spring riding season is nice..

delayed Spring riding season sucks. Snowed today in Big Bear.

Wish I was in Corral or Anza.

I think Ranger (still unmarked) is we (or 912...all the trails have a 900 prefix I think on some maps)

Its nice to ride with your kids when they can kind of keep up...it was nice too see you out there and happy to you continue to get better

Guest Crusty

I rode with Steve, till we found Vic, then Vic and Steve till Steve flatted, then with Vic, had a great time. Thank's Vic & Steve.

Craig.

I rode with Steve, till we found Vic, then Vic and Steve till Steve flatted, then with Vic, had a great time. Thank's Vic & Steve.

Craig.

I'd like to thank you both for taking the time to show me around out there today! I had a blast. Bummer about the flat Steve....I'm glad I was riding a KTM out there (I know how you feel about that) Lol.

I'll keep in touch for future rides with my local Carls"badders".

Cheers!

BS disappearing toward the bottom of Trail 1

CIMG2172.jpg

Dennis makin' his way off the big rock.

CIMG2171.jpg

The ride home on 94

CIMG2173.jpg

Had a great time, had a sudden and testiculary smashing event, 107 miles round trip. Thx!

I am very sorry guys. I ended up on the wrong freeway, and did not get there until 8:40.

At first, I thought I had just made it in time for a group picture (there were about 8 mounted riders smilling at a camera). Then I realized it was not the same group, but they let me join in the picture just the same. Friendly people.

Rather than trying to ride faster and playing catchup (seemed like a recipe to brake or hurt something), I thought I might find the group by going opposite direction of the loop. So I started onto the trail right off the Pine Valley parking lot and headed into the mountains towards Four Corners and started to unwind from the stress of running late as the views got better and better.

After a loop around the top and talking with others, it appears Kernan Cycle trail the only trail connecting to Four Corners. But it was also the trail the "not the 8am group" cautioned me about, with a slippery rocky section as it descends down. I continued onto Kernan with the thought that would just turn back. It has some fun sections and was soon found myself overlooking the next valley and recognized Corral Canyon road below. Enough room to get my bike off the trail and turn around if I wanted, it was the perfect spot to stop, look around, and have a few sips of coffee.

A few minutes later a couple of KTMs also stopped for the view, chatted a little, and looked for anyone making their way up the trail. They also cautioned me about the slippery rocky sections below. I continued forward to the rocky descent very slowly and was really really glad to have knobbies up front! For this section of Kernan trail, I'll admit to spending more time walking down it with a KLR between my legs rather than riding down it.

Just before joining Corral Canyon, there a stream crossing of unknown depth. Lots of tracks running through it, so I thought I would be just fine too, and stood on my pegs and barged through the stream. Then I discovered how deep it is and instantly felt my socks filling with water. Hmmm, I think I should have sat down and lifted up my feet above the water on that one! So now my hiking boots are entirely filled with water.

The relatively smooth flowing ride of Carrol Canyon's pavement was a welcome contrast to the slippery rocky descent of Kernan. There were a few trucks there and a couple of dirt only cycles. It became clear that I was going to be very unlikely for me to be able to find bikeslut and crew. Trolling around Bobcat Meadow campground, I was flagged down by a group of bikers having a bbq. It was the same group that I had taken a picture with at the Pine Valley lot! They invited me to join and the franks with grilled onions, sauerkraut, and a couple of rings of jalapenos was super tasty. Very friendly people.

It was drizzling, windy, and almost cold. But I still had a little more gas left and continued up Los Pinos. I realized low visability was not the conditions to appreciate this road so I headed back for gas. On the way back, a little east of the entrace to Lake Morena, I found a small trail with a few tracks, but no markers. I went in a little, but thought that maybe I should not so stopped. But before turning back, I left the bike there and hiked around the lake.

Almost out of gas, I made it back to Pine Valley (by road) and put in three gallons and got a slice of pizza for later. Headed back to Corral Canyon. Sun looked like it might break through, and I wanted to see the views of Los Pinos. At Four Corners, I made a wrong turn and ended up in the lower campgrounds for some exploring on Skye Valley road before heading back up for Los Pinos.

What a different a couple of hours make. Now Los Pinos was clear with beautiful views and road up very slowly with half my attention on the road and any oncoming, and half on the views. I parked at the top. Then I heard a hollering. The guy in the lookout post was waiving me up saying "come on up out of the cold".

What a treat! I was in the observation tower at Los Pinos soaking in magnificant views.

On the way down I took the Spur Meadow Cycle trail really like its roller coaster banks at the bottom (I suspect it is a whole lot more fun going uphill). When it reached paved road, I decided to keep on it and find my way to Four Corners on dirt rather than pavement. On this side by side trail I saw single track and decided to give it a try. I made it down and up the first stream crossing without problem. The second climb was took me three attempts for my nearly worn out 50% street rear tire to find any traction. Then a muddy patch that looked like it required some speed to make it through, and all the tracks by others are telling me that I am going the wrong way. Good point to turn around. Today I discovered this trail is "Sodbuster" and is rated black diamond for experts only - which I am not, and for all I know these are the easy parts. Turning around can be a very good idea sometimes.

On the way backon Carrol Canyon Rd. I parked just when it reaches the stream and hiked on the gated road a little ways to enjoy the peaceful dense vegitation, a slice of pizza, and a little peace pipe, then back to highways as the sun had just set and its get cold very quick.

Hope I may join on the next ride,

Roger