Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

990 Adventure

Hi Gentlemen,

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a '07 990 Adventure. Yes, I know it is not a Dual Sport bike! Thanks for the wealth of discussion on Dual Sport and Adventure riding.

Question: Have you 950 riders moved on or are you still enjoying the KTM Experience. My idea of a perfect week is to ride the two lanes to Death Valley or Utah and get lost on the back roads, dirt, gravel, pavement. The bike would usually be used while staying in motels, but some camping thrown in. I think my question is, Have you tired of the dirt aspect and come back to the pavement? My take is that the Adventure is really a big dirt bike that tolerates the pavement. But, it is put together quite well.

Lately, the pavement has seemed rather crowded. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped on Mesa Grande to take pictures and was overwhelmed by the crowds of Harleys and Miatas.

Coming off a FJR1300

Regards, Dave

Our club has lots of diversity, the 950&990s are great bikesand so are the bmws gs & hp models,watch for rides in forums,they will tell you what type of terrain we will be riding that day,alot of us have several bikes from harleys to sport bikes & big adv bikes to dirt bikes, but best of all we like to bag on each other, :unsure:B)B) welcome to the zoo. sounds like you were at the hideout,I work there on sundays.

Bagstr, I have a 950 and it is a very worthy trail bike.....if you really want it to be. There's quite a few 950 riders here in San Diego....some of them don't visit this site much, but they're out there.

These ride reports might answer some of your questions....

Gnarly Trails on big bikes

WMRS II High Sierra Ride

High Sierra Adventure 2005

High Sierra Ride 2006

950 Attack

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I would love to ride a KTM> 950 at Amago on the vet track. SDAR should have a race at Amago.

Our club has lots of diversity, the 950&990s are great bikesand so are the bmws gs & hp models,watch for rides in forums,they will tell you what type of terrain we will be riding that day,alot of us have several bikes from harleys to sport bikes & big adv bikes to dirt bikes, but best of all we like to bag on each other, :unsure:B)B) welcome to the zoo. sounds like you were at the hideout,I work there on sundays.

agreed... from the sounds of it, a lot of the guys here have more than one ride... i have a DRZ, V Strom and a tw200... recently sold a zx-11 and have an xr250 project in the garage. On the Cleveland Forest Ride we had a couple on a DL650 tag along for, as far as I know, all of it... I have taken my V strom on Bear Valley/Kernan... it was a handful but doable... I expect any of the big KTMs is more of a dual sport than my V Strom.

and bagstr- regarding crowded pavement... you're right. It's the reason ALL of my current bikes have SOME potential of off roading. FEWER asshats on the dirt... or at least there are fewer per square mile.

Hey Dave, welcome!!

I can't comment on the 07 KTM 990, since I don't own one.. But I can tell you that I have heard really good things about it, and I was also considering buying one this month, when I settled for the BMW G 650 Xchallenge... As I get more involved in this sport, it seems that you really need different types of bikes depending on the ride... I'm covered now for the difficult and challenging terrain where I can take my lighter enduro racer Husaqvarna TE450... for longer local rides where I have to take some pavement and go around, I'll take the BMW G 650 X.... Now, my next project in the next few years (if my wife does not divorce me B) ) is to purchase the KTM 990 adventure for the long rides to other towns etc...and why not, might as well get the triumph tiger for the twisties.. :unsure:

Good luck with your decision and hope to see ya on the trails.... B)

Husky4me,

My garage has space for only one bike, so I take my best shot, one at a time! Tommorrow should be deal day.

BAGSTR

Congrats Dave!

I was just trying to use some humor! The KTM adventure should cover you pretty well!! I believe KTMrad, SDAR president uses his for almost all rides... it should be a lot of fun... let us know how you like it..

By the way, where are you buying it? Last time I checked wtih rocket motorcycles they told me they would not get one until the middle of April???

NORTH COUNTY YAMAHA,KTM has a orange KTM 990 coming in any day now,A blue 990 this month, and a black 990 in may,call bob delia at 760-432-9501. GOOD LUCK.

You can take a big bike offroad, sometimes WAY offroad, but you have to decide for yourself if you're up for the challenge, as it'll be more effort than on a DRZ400. But then if there's only one space in the garage, or the wife snatches away as you grab for the checkbook, a lot of guys settle on a swiss army knife of a bike,. Mine has to do VERY well 2-up, as my wife loves to ride, on and off-road too on long trips, that shortens the list drastically, otherwise I would've kept my LC4 and rode the world with a slight buzz on pavement, but amazing offroad ability. I swung into a sweet deal on the uberpig, but was seriously leaning toward a KTM 950 after riding one seriously offroad. Here's the thing after your all done with the brochures: ride both, figure out which one works for you, and which one is the funnest for you (everyone's different) and then learn to love the glitches every bike has, then just go ride and don't worry about it, most people talk more than they ride, you'll be happier if you do the reverse :)

just go ride and don't worry about it, most people talk more than they ride, you'll be happier if you do the reverse :)

Well said, Shut up and Ride! :)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

on'']id, Shut up and Ride! :)

Well said but ,if we all sut up and ride there would be no site. It seems kinda HYPOCRITICAL. Every time I see that phrase here especialy when written in orange I :):):) SURFS UP. B)B)

post-465-1176260093_thumb.jpg

post-465-1176260142_thumb.jpg

post-465-1176260180_thumb.jpg

post-465-1176260341_thumb.jpg

on'']id, Shut up and Ride! :)

Well said but ,if we all sut up and ride there would be no site. It seems kinda HYPOCRITICAL. Every time I see that phrase here especialy when written in orange I :):):) SURFS UP. B)B)

we need the "poke the hornets nest with a stick" smiley from advrider

Well said but ,if we all sut up and ride there would be no site.

You got a good point! We all enjoy riding, but also enjoy discussing the rides, motorcycles stuff... that's also fun and this site makes it possible... :) So, lets ride and have fun! And don't take all these too seriously... :)

By the way, did Bagstr buy the KTM 990?? B) That was the whole issue of the original post...

husky4me,

Well, I have a deal and have talked to a few dealers. There is only one thing missing...a bike! Rumours are several, anything from anyday to early May.

BAGSTR

PS, my '03 FJR is up for sale for anyone interested. $7800 obo

+1 for the Katoom. I love my 950, and although I considermyself new to dirt and do 90/10 (street/dirt) This thing is sweet everywhere I've been. +10k miles in a little more than a year and I'm doing at least 3k more by the end of October.

Luck to you on finding one. I know they're kinda scarce.