Sign in to follow this  
alyeska

TKC 70 life

I have never run the tkc 70 before on a heavy bike so I was wondering how many miles anyone has gotten out of one on a 990 or bigger bike. I have to complete a 16k plus journey starting Tuesday and am trying to plan tire replacement intervals, any help appreciated.

I use to get 3- 4-5 K.Depends -- Air up to max for better mileage . But they work good ! 

3k and they will be pretty done. I'd definitely go with a different tire if going on a 16k journey.

Thanks for the tips, I have this tire on already with about 1500 miles on it so I will just plan my next tire replacement in about 2500 miles, Im carrying a load (tent etc) so I will be running air up on the high end.  I plan on switching to anakees in Montana, I seem to have gotten  5-6 out of those but that's on KLRs heavily loaded, My last trip into maritimes I did on 3 sets of tires since I always replace the front at the same time because of cupping and balance issues.

Carrying and changing tires on the road is the story of my life, maybe someday they will make a tire last like an automobile 40-50 K

pics_of_trip_198.jpg

pics_of_trip_219.jpg

depending on the mix of dirt / street, I'd seriously consider throwing some Heidenau k60s on there and not have to worry about tire changes at all.

What's your route look like? I'll be in Utah in September for 7 to 8 days.

leaving rogers Arkansas on aug 9th then onto bozeman Montana (MSU) then port angeles wa to catch blackball ferry to Victoria then onto pt hardy to catch ferry to prince Rupert, after that Ill catch another ferry to the charlotte islands and then back to Rupert and onto Alaska  where I will circumnavigate the entire state (3rd time) visiting deadhorse and friend at UAF then zig zag back to san diego, I estimate 15-17k and and 4 sets of tires so Ill switch up according to riding conditions. Need to be home for ODF in Oct.

If you stop in moab say hi to fred at arrowhead motorsports, hes a good guy and has gotten me out of binds many times.

Sounds like an AMAZING trip.

I'll definitely be stopping in Moab and I'll try to stop in.