Sign in to follow this  
2Wheels

Baja Photos

Made a road trip with the family to Guerrero Negro to see the whales and on to Mulegé the first week of 2011.

First stop: Ensenada

This is my wife and I on a carriage ride in Ensenada.

Picture001.jpg

We'd always seen the carriages, but this is the first time we went on a ride in one.

Here's a view from the bar in the Hotel Villa Marina. It's in the top floor and anyone can go up there. You don't have to be a guest in the hotel.

1Ensenada006.jpg

Next stop, the Old Mill in San Quintín.

2OldMill015.jpg

That's myself and my son keeping warm by the fire.

Next stop was Guerrero Negro to see the Whales.

I found out how Guerrero Negro got its name on this trip. A whaling ship named the Black Warrior shipwrecked near the entrance to the Ojo de Liebre lagoon (right next to the current town of Guerrero Negro) in the 1850's and it got its name from that boat. Black Warrior translated into Spanish is Guerrero Negro.

The town itself is new compared to the other towns in Baja California. It got started in 1954 by an American salt mining company.

Here's a picture of the salt works which we got see as part of our whale-watching tour.

820101231Mulege100.jpg

Here's the skipper who took us to see the whales.

3BoatRide027.jpg

And of course pictures of some whales.

4Whales043.jpg

This one's swimming on its side with half its tail sticking out of the water.

520101231Mulege033.jpg

And a couple more pics of whales.

6WhaleTail048.jpg

7WhaleTail.jpg

Next stop, San Ignacio to see the cave paintings in the Sierra de San Francisco. We stayed at the La Pinta Hotel in San Ignacio. Both myself and my wife liked it better than the other hotel we stayed at last year, Rice and Beans.

Myself and my son in front of Mission in San Ignacio which is still in use as a church more than 300 years after its founding.

9MissionSanIgnacio136.jpg

San Francisco de la Sierra

1020101231SanFranciscodelaSierra126.jpg

I paid $120 USD for transportation up and back to San Francisco. Well worth the money to avoid beating up your car on the road going up there.

Our guide was born in San Ignacio and lived in Baja California Sur all his life. His mother was from San Francisco de la Sierra and he had some interesting stories. When he was a boy, the only way to get up to San Francisco de la Sierra was on a donkey and he made a few trips up there with his father.

Cueva del Ratón

11CuevadelRaton114.jpg

12CuevadelRaton108.jpg

These cave paintings are a 5 minute walk from where you park. There are others that are a three-day mule ride from where you park and I'm going back to see those later this year with my son. It'll just be the guide, myself, and my son. I have more info about the guide and cost. If anyone's interested, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Next stop was Santa Rosalia which was founded in the 1880's as a French mining town.

13SantaRosalia146.jpg

The tour books give it glowing reviews, but I didn't like it much. My wife did like it because it's different from other towns in Mexico. So I guess everyone's got to see it and make up their own mind.

Gene nice to see that you are really getting to explore all of what Baja has to offer. When we go with the bikes it,s just go from point A to point B and enjoying the scenery while dogging rocks. Good for you !