kellymac530

Inspection shop needed

I finally got time on a day that the DMV is actually open to go in and register my new to me BMW.

I called the dmv ahead of time and asked the guy what i needed to register a bike that is (A) out of state and (B) salvage title...here in cali?

The guy helped me find the right forms online and told me that was all i needed, i even asked him about any needed inspections...he said all i needed was the vin verification and emmissions cert verified and that they did that at my local DMV without an appointment....perfect....

I get there, check in, and wait, and wait, and.....finally a guy comes out and takes my form, an looks at all my numbers and my emmisions tag and signs off on the form...

I then go back inside and wait for my number to be called, and wait, and wait, and.....

finally after another hour and a half my number gets called i greet my lady nicely, and exchance some plesantries, hand her my paper work and explain what i needed to do...she looks at everything a few times....types a bit on the computer, and tells me i need to surrender $587.00 dollars that is "mostly taxes"

I painfully hand her my hard earned cash, she goes and works at another station and comes back and hands me a stack of papers and one of those old style red tags with a 12 on it and says i need to get a brake and light inpection from a certified motorcycle inspection shop!

CRAP!!!!! :angry2:

Does anyone know of a shop that performs these inspections for a reasonable rate????

Then i get to go BACK to the DMV....and wait again..... <_<

I NEED HELP....

Call the shop closest to you....maybe the BMW dealer? I know Baja Designs did it in the past but that's not the most convenient for you.

....and yes, DMV will everything without an appointment.....but they also make them. All of us have spent hours there.....such a nice ambiance.

What was the $586.00 for. It is illegal to charge you out of state tax for a used bike.

I pulled a Harley Davidson FXR out of Texas dirt cheap and walked into the DMV and they wanted $600.00. I threw a fit and their supervisor came over and says it doesnt apply to motorcycles and tore up that paperwork..WEW.

yeah- AAA is a good place, if you are a member...

trophy also has a good suggestion about BMW... make sure they realize that THEY will be your go-to place for parts and some service... plus, since you ride a BMW now, you'll need a hi-viz aerostitch, Nolan flip-Up, etc. They should do it fairly cheaply; seriously... how long can it take to flip a couple of switches and sign a form.

Also; ask the good kelly; doesn't he work at a shop?

What was the $586.00 for. It is illegal to charge you out of state tax for a used bike.

I pulled a Harley Davidson FXR out of Texas dirt cheap and walked into the DMV and they wanted $600.00. I threw a fit and their supervisor came over and says it doesnt apply to motorcycles and tore up that paperwork..WEW.

second, it says right on the form that if you did not pay tax in the other state, you must pay tax here...one or the other. i did not pay tax in so. carolina so i have to pay tax here...although i do agree that it should be illegal to charge me....

come schwinn give me the secret?????

"nameless organization". I just paid the $90 or so for membership. In 1 hr, I registered my dirt DRZ(previously plated, but didn't want to take any chances), built trailer from Harbor freight, sV650 from Nevada with "over7500" miles, , plus the peace of mind that people there work FOR you, not against you. Go over to O'side and ask for "nameless Gentleman", he is the man for registration. He saved me more money in taxes than my membership. Ex: When I bought the SV it was imported from NV, but didn't quite work. I have a bill of sale and title, but since I bought 2 bikes from the same guy, I initially listed it for sale price $2,000. "nameless gentleman", asked if I had to work on it. I said yes, rebuild forks, prep engine, change all fluids, clean off 5 yrs of dust. He marks thru the price, and says, it sounds more like $200, don't you think? well, you do the math. If it can be done, he can point you to the right guy, and the place didn't smell like the DMV.

For the nameless gentleman's sake at the nameless organization, you may wish to remove that line from the *public internet*. I suspect what he may or may not have done would be considered less than legal, and could get him in a heap 'o trouble, regardless of it's benefit. Maybe a PM?

Posts 4,6, and 7 need to be yanked asap and moved over to the Members only forum. I would move the entire thread over there, so it will make sense. Ken

Posts 4,6, and 7 need to be yanked asap and moved over to the Members only forum. I would move the entire thread over there, so it will make sense. Ken

but im NOT a paid member....how will i find out where i can register my wrF...somebody PM me with this info....call me, email me, write me an annnymous letter....something

but im NOT a paid member...

And wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to remedy that?

I edited the posts to take out some stuff... I didn't move the whole thread, as it is Kelly's thread, and he can't post in members only

but everybody should realize by now that some things just shouldn't be discussed on open forums, and the people with the best info won't be answering you any way

Kelly,

I moved here from AZ with three bikes and am a AAA member. I was warned how bad CA DMV offices are. I took each bike to AAA and each one took no more than 40 minutes from when I walked in to when I walked out. One took only 20 minutes. My wife took the cars and each one took 15-30 minutes. Time of day and day of the week make a difference... go in the morning and do NOT go on Fridays. It may be worth your time to join.