jbw

Headset testing

I should warn you that it comes with enameled magnet wire for the connections so it's a little tricky. Also put a 2.2k resistor in parallel with the mic or it won't trigger the ht's ptt reliably.

Yeah I saw that in the description, makes it a bit of a pain. But nothing I cannot handle. The headsets I have made already have the 2.2k resistor switched (PTT) in parallel with the mic.

When I was looking for mics earlier I actually had come across this one but at the time discounted it as it is label as 1.3 volts while the radio provides 3 volts. But in the data sheet it indicates that is works up to 10 volts.

You won't be disappointed.

I should warn you that it comes with enameled magnet wire for the connections so it's a little tricky. Also put a 2.2k resistor in parallel with the mic or it won't trigger the ht's ptt reliably.

Which drives me crazy. Why have the ptt in the audio circuit at all? Just to be sure the slightest imperfection in the ptt switch becomes a static blast of audio?

Which drives me crazy. Why have the ptt in the audio circuit at all? Just to be sure the slightest imperfection in the ptt switch becomes a static blast of audio?

Sadly it's the way all HT's are wired. Mobile rigs are seperate. That said I've been using this switch

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=679-1093-ND

It's IP67 rated (dust tight and good to 1M of water) and proven to be very reliable although a little pricey. They also make a sealing boot for it. Digikey doesn't carry it but Mouser does. It's an APEM U5125.

BTW - I was kidding. Your singing isn't THAT bad!

Did you get the mic yet? I also should mention that with the Knowles mic I take a heat gun (remove the wind sock first)and carefully bend the boom about an inch back from the mic so that the mic ends up parallel to your face when mounted in the helmet.

Nope. I have tried throat mics a couple of times both at work and on the bike. Results in both cases were not that impressive.

Confirm. In the Recon community we tried them for a while. Then went back to the boom mic, for a very good reason...sound quality. I did buy a highend set recently. Found ou the hard way they are still garbage, espcially on the bike where your whole boddy is vibrating.

As for the aftermarket kits. They are worth it, I have 3 sets (2 Rugged amd one Baja which is rebranded Rugged) The time it would have taken me to gather components and do the assembly would have ended up csting me money based on the Time-Value Calculator. Based on this tool if it took me more than 2.7 hours to make this,I lost money, and that does not take into accounting locating and getting the parts.

yes, I have them but at the moment I am busy with school... The headsets work, all I need is to solder on the new mics.

Just finished up with a big exam in school and had some free time to finish up the project...

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg