DesmoStucky

Frustration with my TE450

I'll look in to the clutch. Thanks for the tip!

When I drained the oil there was quite a bit of ferrous metal stuck to the drain bolt magnet. I wiped it off on a paper towel and sure enough it was ferrous. I have the cams out right now and am getting ready to pull the head. Still not sure where it is coming from. Is anyone positive you can remove the head with out taking the whole motor out? I can't seem to get to the header bolts or the front piston head bolt (13mm). I am going to go buy some wobble sockets and see if I can get that 13mm front bolt.

Thanks again for all the help and support. Maybe someday when I have a running bike, I'll be able to meet and thank you all in person :blink: .

-Mike

Oh snap :rolleyes:, I just made a huge rookie mistake.

Before I pulled the cams I made sure that there were the alignment marks on each cam gear as well as the larger (name escapes me) main sprocket (with the TDC marking). However I pulled that main sprocket before I marked the actual chain position on that sprocket! SH#T! Now I can't put that main sprocket back in and be 100% sure my timing is right. I know I was close to TDC when I removed the cams, but I could be off by a couple of teeth. Doh, I'm really an idiot B).

Another thing to check are the stator retaining bolts. I`ve heard of them coming loose on the huskys and making noise. They can even back out far enough to lock the motor.

i will go look at my dad's 510 tomorrow but i believe like most motorcycles you should be able to find the mark from the flywheel and then align the marks on the cams if not then through a rod or zip tie in the spark plug hole and twist the crank till its at the top.

Thanks starpal, but you don't have to do that. I am almost certain there is a mark on the fly wheel or crank. I can look myself. It just would of been a lot simpler to just mark he chain.

Stator retaining bolts. Another thing to check. Thanks for the tip!

Mike

Don't know if this motor is anything like the KTM, but there is a primary nut on the KTM that loosens and whacks the heck out of it's woodruff key.