husky4me

Trip to Laguna de San Ignacio BC in my Jeep

O.Key, this is an adventure bike forum, not a jeep 4x4 forum, but I'd thought I would share with all you guys my experience. Last three day weekend, for the first time ever, I drove my jeep together with my RV to Baja (half way to the tip). It's about 400 miles one way, but it took me 12 hours. The road is very narrow, and it does not have any space to get off in case of a mechanical malfunction etc.. Actually, most of the sides goes down 45 to 90 degrees, so it's a little spooky at first, but then I got used to it. I did see a lot of adventure riders all over, and lots and lots of trails.. My destination was Laguna de San Ignacio (it's in between Guerrero Negro and Muleje).. At this time of the year the gray whales come to that area to give birth to their young, and amazingly if you take one of the boat tours, whales will come to your side where you can pet them... wow, that was amazing! :D The little "pueblito" of San Ignacio was different and interesting.. From there I had to take trail of about 50 miles to reach the "laguna." Over there I was super hungry as I had not eaten anything since the morning.. well, I found this "loncheria" where an elderly man cooked for us fresh fish with hand made tortillas, all for 10 bucks (for me and my wife), dining in his own home, while his grand children, all clean, and cordial played games out in the dirt.. After being in San Diego for over 20 years and seeing the bad side of things (crime in T.J. etc..), it was nice to realize how there's really cool nice people ready to help you out in the little villages in Mexico.. By the way, I changed a flat tire in the middle of the dirt road (sharp stone puncture my BF Goodrich TA's) and I found someone at night willing to repair my tire.. I learned a lot during this short trip. The area were the lagoon's are are protected by the government in order to protect the whales, birds, and plant species (kind of like the National Parks in U.S), with the difference that dirt bikes are always welcome!! :rolleyes: I did not take many pictures, but here's a few to share.. I'm looking forward for my motorcycle adventure trip! In my experience, with exception for the dangerous roads, the trip is fun and safe. I think most of the crime is in the big cities like T.J. .. By the way, there is a stretch from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro where there's no gas stations (about 225 miles), where I almost ended up with out gas (I stopped in a village and asked around for gas), so a big tank helps for Baja.. Also, I found the military checkpoints (about 4 all together) to be fun and cordial.. the Mexican soldiers were friendly and just checked for fire arms (illegal in Mexico) and drugs etc.. They joked around and were helpful. I would never recommend driving at night, and if you take a car, you should have emergency flares in case of your car stalling (if you don't want the other drivers to hit you)..

Well, I got to tell you in case you did not know.. My first language is Spanish and I was raised in Guadalajara, Mexico, but after over 28 years in S.D. I was feeling uneasy myself to take this adventure, and I'm sure glad I did.. it was just a lot of fun!! :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the best place to eat at San Ignacio Lagoon, ask for Don Gonzalo

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did not take many pictures, but here's a few to share..

I enjoyed your write up, scouting report, and pictures.

I agree with you about safety. Once you're past Tijuana, you don't have to worry about crime so much anymore.

I want to ride down to the end of the Baja California Peninsula sometime too, even if it's mostly on pavement. There are beautiful beaches you have all to yourself, and dirt roads that stretch for miles and miles. It may not last, I want to enjoy it while it's still there.

I want to ride down to the end of the Baja California Peninsula sometime too, even if it's mostly on pavement. There are beautiful beaches you have all to yourself, and dirt roads that stretch for miles and miles. It may not last, I want to enjoy it while it's still there.

Yes, unfortunately there's a lot of development going on down in baja... so, we better enjoy it while it lasts.. before it becomes just another turist attraction.. the good thing about that area I was talking about (I think it's called Vizcaino) is that it's supposed to be a nature preserve.. hopefully it will stay that way for years to come.. my father used to own a development called Los Frailes almost at the tip of baja, a place I never got to check out, and I'd like to take a look in the future...

Awesome pics Martin!

I also travel to Baja quite a bit, usually in my Landcruiser, this October i am driving the entire thing to Cabo!

Check your PMs!

Some pics of a trip we did a few weeks ago:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey all, since we don't want the Ride Reports forum to become a place for general photos and trips, I'd like to move this topic to the General Photos Forum. That OK with you all ?

No, i think this is the proper place for it. It might inspire others to ride there! :D

That is my two cents.

Hey all, since we don't want the Ride Reports forum to become a place for general photos and trips, I'd like to move this topic to the General Photos Forum. That OK with you all ?

No, i think this is the proper place for it. It might inspire others to ride there! :D

That is my two cents.

The reason I posted this trip under ride write-ups, stories and photos is because these are possible riding areas for other members to consider... there's a lot of cool rides down in baja and I was trying to inspire and also give information to other members who might consider taking the trip themselves.. This story fits under Stories part, but I guess you are right that it is not a ride. I did take my husky inside my R.V. and rode it around, but did not really do any extensive trip on my bike.. I personally don't think it's such a big deal, so if you want to move it, that's fine with me... :lol:

You both have a good point, we'll leave it here, no problem.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I did not take many pictures, but here's a few to share..

I enjoyed your write up, scouting report, and pictures.

I agree with you about safety. Once you're past Tijuana, you don't have to worry about crime so much anymore.

So do we me and Ms. Hammon surfing all the way there and back, on our XR 650L I was hoping to meet some riders here hwo want to go with us. Even Rosarito can be fun on a bike we cruse to Ensenada for drinks and lunch. All kinds of surf breaks a short fun ride from Rosarito . and plenty of resorts to stay at. Party all night at Papas and beer. Our next trip will be during spring break. Watch for our post and come ride with us.

post-465-1173072584_thumb.jpg

post-465-1173072750_thumb.jpg

post-465-1173072801_thumb.jpg

post-465-1173072877_thumb.jpg