Sign in to follow this  
SteveO

99 mile ride to Nate Harrison Grade and back

I hadn't been out on the 650 for quite a while, so I decided to ride out to Rincon and ride up and down Nate Harrison Grade. I had to put on my rain gear in Escondido. There was fog and drizzle all the way up. On the way down, the clouds started to lift and I could see where I was going. Almost all of Nate Harrison Grade is lined with wild flowers! I don't know the names of all of them, but there were lupines, four colors of monkey flower, deerweed (my favorite), and many kinds of "yellow" flowers.

Mountains are great for wildflowers because they can bloom at different times at different elevations. That makes the timing a lot less critical. Anyway, if you need an excuse to go ride Nate Harrison Grade, now you have it.

Steve

I dunno how you guys do it, look at flowers and rattle off names. I'm lucky if I can tell they are flowers and not weeds. I'm prolly screwing that up too...

I dunno how you guys do it, look at flowers and rattle off names. I'm lucky if I can tell they are flowers and not weeds. I'm prolly screwing that up too...

One man's flower is another man's weed...

lots of what we call wild flowers ARE weeds, but they sure make the country side gorgeous for a nice spring time ride....gotta love so.cal. :air_kiss: