Any thoughts on this bike? I saw one at Rocket in S.D. 07 model (brand new design), and seemed nice... However, apparently is really more oriented as a do it all road bike (not really dirt).. It seems like older model was a little more dirt friendly... Do you guys think the dirt part compares to a R1200 GS (weight and suspension), or this is totally a road bike with no comparison... I was just curious...

Yes, the Tiger is very street oriented. Can't comment on the BMW comparison though.

My suggestion is a Ducati (Cagiva) 900 Elefant....the BEST DAMN DUALSPORT EVER MADE !! :)

Yes Kevin, it's BETTER than your $9000 Dakrap single cylinder.

We need a couple more local Elefant owners, then this can become the Elefant Forums :)

And you can pick one up for about $3500 to $4500.

O.Key Randy, I guess U like Ducatis! I have never seen your Ducati Elephant, hope you can take it on a ride or to Desert Dash so we can all take a look... I have never seen one in my life (except for a pic you posted once). By the way, would the Triumph, Ducati Elephant, be comparable to the Ducati Multa-strata 1100?? I also like the looks of the multistrata, but I understand is really a street bike....

Any thoughts on this bike? I saw one at Rocket in S.D. 07 model (brand new design), and seemed nice... However, apparently is really more oriented as a do it all road bike (not really dirt).. It seems like older model was a little more dirt friendly... Do you guys think the dirt part compares to a R1200 GS (weight and suspension), or this is totally a road bike with no comparison... I was just curious...

I know everything about this bike ... well maybe :D

I'd have one in my stable now, but have a pending property purchase. Anyway, it's my next street bike, so I have done LOTS of research so I think I can tell you what's up:

First, you can read a lot about it here:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4506.aspx

Not to mention that there are quite a few road tests out now. All with GLOWING reviews!

Triumph went completely backwards on their "Adventure" attempt since it never really hit the mark anyway. They changed just about everything but the name, so now it's basically a street rod with the Seed Triple engine (115 HP, or uncorked with their other can = 125 HP). Tall suspension for a street bike, USD forks, remote pre-load rear, radially mounted Nissin calipers, new frame & swing arm, upright riding position, luggage (now sold separately)

Nutshell: Relaxed riding position one up or two. Commuter, tourer, track-terror. This is my kind of motorcycle!

Any thoughts on this bike?

I know everything about this bike ... well maybe :D
Impressive endorsement Brett. Can you give us a quick run down of the process of narrowing this one down? What your criteria was (I see that you don't expect it to be a full dual-sport). Did you consider others in the class (in current production that is), like the Aprilia Caponord, Cagiva, BMW or Suzuki for example?

The old Triumph's were great. In my opinion, the new one's are not that. Just go and look at the craftmanship and it it obviouse-it is crude. Before I bought my BMW, the Tiger was the bike for me with its triple. I have heard alot of reliablity and parts issue's with the Triumph line. Also, the dealer network is not that strong. Just my opinion, but you will not find alot of old Triumph guys endorsing the new Triumph's as they are not the same!

Did you consider others in the class (in current production that is), like the Aprilia Caponord, Cagiva, BMW or Suzuki for example?

The Capanord is really in a different class. It's a longer. lower powered bike with a twin that does SOME off roading. Not true sport forks, brakes, power, etc. Kinda like the OLD tiger (ending in 2006). As I mentioned, Triumph has gone COMPLETELY backwards on that attempt, at their own admission, opting for a 100% street bike. As such, the components are as close to pure sport as you can get, but with an upright riding position suitable for around town, two up touring or track blasting.

Are you referring to the GS & DL? Then much of same applies. However, if I had to own only one motorcycle, it would be the GS.

The old Triumph's were great. In my opinion, the new one's are not that. Just go and look at the craftmanship and it it obviouse-it is crude. Before I bought my BMW, the Tiger was the bike for me with its triple. I have heard alot of reliablity and parts issue's with the Triumph line. Also, the dealer network is not that strong. Just my opinion, but you will not find alot of old Triumph guys endorsing the new Triumph's as they are not the same!

I shoulda known, since it's not called the BMW Tiger :P

Be careful when you say that something new is not good. Just remember how old you are & how long ago you bought the Dakar :P Have you seen the 2007 Tiger, read all the road tests, & know all the differences? It's a street bike now, Kevin. It's also got the world renown Speed Triple engine! New frame & swing arm - fully adjustable USD forks - Radial brakes - 17" sport sizes for & aft - etc. etc.

So based on actual knowledge of this 2007 model, your problems with it are what?

Unfortunately, this sign belongs to someone else :(

Posted Image

So based on actual knowledge of this 2007 model, your problems with it are what?

Unfortunately, this sign belongs to someone else B)

Posted Image

My problem with it is that it is a street bike-not a Dual Sport!(and that its not made in Germany/HA)

Posted Image

Definitely a eurobike. Looks like a cross between a V-Strom (ergos + high exhaust mount) and a Bandit (inline 4 + added Horsepower) with perhaps some shedded weight and some added grin factor... should be a blast!!

You are right... it does have an influenced from the V-Strom, but much nicer... B) I think the price is about $1000.00 more than the V-Strom... so not to bad... Not sure this is the bike I want.. So it seems this bike is really street only, or probably comparable to the V-Strom as far as its dirt capability?? I wonder if they have demo rides like the BMW dearlership.....

So it seems this bike is really street only, or probably comparable to the V-Strom as far as its dirt capability?? I wonder if they have demo rides like the BMW dearlership.....

The new Tiger is dirt capable to only one very small degree, it has slightly longer suspension than most street bikes. Buy it as a street bike or don't buy it.

Triumph used a pre-delivery-program similar to that used by Yamaha for the FJR known by the acronym PDP. Although bike orders for 07 ceases Dec 31, the program is more flexible than Yamaha's. So dealers will be getting bikes that they themselves ordered, not just that customers ordered. I see little chance of a test ride under theses circumstances. The bike at Rocket was ordered by a customer who now may not be picking it up. Rocket has not even put oil or a battery in it & I doubt they will.

The bike at Rocket was ordered by a customer who now may not be picking it up.

Get it. Nice paint/color... B)