Sign in to follow this  
2Wheels

WHAT? Another Otay Mtn RR?

No, I won't bore you guys with more photos of Otay Mtn. Only this one of snow-capped mountains 100 miles or so away since you usually can't see that far.

20100305Tecate-Jacinto.jpg

I think the mountain on the right is Mount San Jacinto. That's the one with the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway on the east side of it. The one on the left should be Mount San Gorgonio which is around Big Bear north of I-10.

So if you go to Tecate for lunch, does that make it a Baja ride? Nah. That can't count.

20100305TecatePolloFeliz.jpg

Here are our bikes outside of Pollo Feliz in Tecate. Pollo Feliz is like Pollo Loco. Lunch was about 5 USD/plate. I liked it and I consider it worth trying out if you're in the area. To get to Pollo Feliz, go straight for about 3 or 4 blocks after you cross through the Port of Entry. When you get to the street the Plaza is on, make a right. After about a mile, start looking for Pollo Feliz on the right.

Well, that's about it. I think everything else has been talked about and photographed in numerous ride reports.

I love Tecate for lunch. I go to Trace Amigos Taquerillia on the left side of the park as you come down the hill of the border crossing. There is a great bar called Diana Bar or Bar Diana and Mario runs it, its on the right side of the park, its got pooltables and big screen TVs for sports and nascar.

I'll have to give Tres Amigos a try next time I go to Tecate. I'll have to check out Diana's Bar sometime too.

Another Tecate restaurant I like is Los Pinos which is also on the east side of the plaza. I like it for its caldo. It's not the best caldo I've ever had, but a lot of Mexican restaurants don't serve it since it takes a few hours to cook. They have to cook up a batch in the morning and whatever they have has to last for the rest of the day. When they run out, they run out.

For those who don't know, caldo has stew meat, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, garbanzos, and some cut-up pieces of corn on the cob. They serve it as a soup, but it's more like a combination soup/stew.

Sounds like a fun ride, You have to have a passport to enter tecate don't you? i need to get one.

I thought I read something somewhere about needing a passport to enter Mexico, but I can't remember where. You need a passport to come back to the United States so it wouldn't be a big deal if you need one to get into Mexico. You'd be carrying one anyway for your return to the USA.

I thought I read something somewhere about needing a passport to enter Mexico, but I can't remember where. You need a passport to come back to the United States so it wouldn't be a big deal if you need one to get into Mexico. You'd be carrying one anyway for your return to the USA.

Mexico will take anyone :lol: It's only upon return that you'll be checked, scrutinized, asked to bend over, etc :lazy:

Speaking of return trips, how long/quick is the return line on a bike via Tecate crossing? I've never rode across the border before...

I've only been checked going into Mexico through a land port of entry twice. Once I got a red light and the inspector just gave my passport a quick glance and waved me through without even asking any questions. I had my passport because the passport rule to return to the United States was already in effect. The other time, when I was going south with a couple of motorcycles in the back of my truck, I got a green light, but they waved me into secondary. They wanted to see the registration to the motorcycles and looked them over pretty carefully and even checked serial numbers on the bikes. I think they're checking for stolen bikes going into Mexico.

We split traffic coming back and only had to wait for the motorcycle messenger who got there right before us.

We split traffic coming back and only had to wait for the motorcycle messenger who got there right before us.

How do you ultimately get in line when you're splitting lanes at the border crossing? Do you go up front and run through right before the next person waiting or do you cut in when a gap happens as close as you can get to the front?

We follow the motorcycle messengers (those guys on the 125 cc bikes) up Calle Ortiz-Rubio.

Yo I want some pollo! 8-[]

Nice photos looks like fun amigo.