Crawdaddy

Back to Stuper-Stition

Whoever's going out there, I need to head to Plaster City on Sunday, and prerun new routes from Evan Hewes by the Plaster Plant, to south of I-8 and then to Ocotillo.

I will be GPS'ing and hopefully rollchart mileage too.

All,

Drove out to Superstition Mountain today via Huff/Wheeler road. Took my Xterra in case I needed the 4WD and never switched out of 2WD. Wheeler road is open, dry and driveable. And while there are a few places where water was previously washing across the road, I saw nothing more worse than 3-6" ruts a couple of times. While my wife didn't enjoy hitting them at 25-40 mph, there wasn't a problem. Wheeler road is rock solid dry and passable, but there are a few spots where it is damp/muddy on the side of the road.

Crawdaddy. Drove all the way to your camping spot and had no problems. I could have made it in my Civic, but would have just had to cross a couple of washes slowly. I can't foresee any issues with you getting out there if you decide to make it out there. There were a couple of trucks in your spot. Looks muddy, but it is dry and solid:

IMG_0073.jpg

Roughest part of the road just near your spot:

IMG_0072.jpg

Also, the dry lakebed to the south of Wheeler ain't so dry any more:

IMG_0077.jpg

And a short vid of the "lake". I am sure it is only a few inches deep, but still strange to see out at Sups:

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac84/wj...nt=IMG_0076.flv

Ran into some of the guys setting up the course for the D38 race. Looks like the rain cleaned up most of the trails out there. Good luck to anyone racing. I will be out there to watch on Sunday.

Take care,

Jim

Thanks for the recon Jim - unfortunately I see no way to bail out of work early tomorrow & I'm not interested in scrambling to get out there by 10pm only to fold the tent and bail Sunday morning. So I'm officially bailing out of my own ride (lame as that is) - My friend Dave will be out there in the usual spot - pretty sure Slowdown (Ron) is bailing too - I may do a day ride on Sat or Sun - we'll see, lot's goin on