Sign in to follow this  
sandiegoland

Just Some Desert Riding - 12/23/06

Just as planned, we did a little desert riding on X-Mas "Eve-Eve". 77 miles, almost all washes with a variety of different sands and whoops. Good practice, and more importantly for some of us, good exercise!! I'm feeling it today... :unsure:

carguy (John), xr650l bum (Mike) and I met up at Ocotillo. There we met Craig and Steve from Carlsbad, a couple of plated riders who had heard of the Desert Dash. We told them a bit about what SDAR was about and invited them along for the day. It turned out to be a great group and we hope to see them back out for the Desert Dash along with our other informal weekly rides.

Posted Image

An early casualty from the whoops. carguy's refridgerator hanging on for dear life!

Posted Image

Steve winds up for a shot at the dune on the north side of Superstition.

Posted Image

...and away he goes!!

Posted Image

A tad bogged down. Not this time...

Posted Image

Craig comes back down, after a good show to the top with the BRP!

======

Posted Image

Water is scarce, but shows its force everywhere in the desert.

Posted Image

The art of the desert. Ever changing.

======

Posted Image

Steve and xr650l bum take a quick break before our trek back west.

(it's steeper than it looks -- blah, blah, blah...)

Posted Image

Why is xr650l bum smiling? :D

Because he has everything he needs to get this tire fixed!! (no tube repair possible - valve stem tore off a near new heavy duty tube)

Posted Image

Steve and Craig making their way through a narrow wash.

Before we took off home we all grabbed a bite at N32 44 09.5 W115 59 38.2. Good day for the desert!

Ya just never know how many riders will show up. I expected 1 and rode with 4. If we waited we could have had 3 more.

Posted Image

No plans this time, just ride in the desert and turn where you feel like. Then let someone else lead for a while.

Gearing up for the ride. Thats me waiving in the mirror.

Posted Image

It's amazing how many trails there are out here. This is on the back side of Superstition.

Posted Image

We took a break and let Steve lead for a while on his KTM.

Posted Image

Alot of the ride was washes like this one.

Posted Image

The end of another wash. Then off to look for more woops.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then when you least expect it, A flat. I am telling you Mike changed his rear tire faster in the dirt than I did in my carport with a motorcycle jack. Less than 30 min. mostly without help. Just Craig acting as a kickstand.

Good Job!! :D BTW xr 650l bum is the go to person for info on the "L".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another great ride with friends. Some cold ones after with dinner at a local diner made for a great day. A little sore after slamming the BRP down a couple of times, but will have to ride that route again. :unsure:

Sure is nice to finally start meeting a lot of you guys and put a face with the names. Carguy(John) and Sandiegoland(Craig) were great riding partners. Would of been lost for days out there! Thanks for holding the bike Craig. I will be making the crutch kick stand this week. Like Craig said it was a work out. Being out both days I am feeling it. The crash did not help much. I think I have seen enough sand until the Desert Dash!!! We'll see. Cant wait until next time. Great write ups. Thanks again!