ShocknAwe

Pine Valley Night Ride 9.3.09

My friend Troy and I arrived at the Pine Valley cul de sac around 7:35 p.m. to find about six other night riders suited up and ready to go. Sorry for being late guys and thanks for your patience in working out a few mechanical issues. Eight night riders hit the PV fire road a little after 8 p.m. with a full moon in the distance. BC330 led the way with Chris running sweep. My 2 smoker had a loose wire that put the headlight out, so I used my NiteRider helmet lights instead. We took the fireroad to a rocky trail, which I had ridden before in daylight, but proved to be challenging at night. Troy and I called it an early night because of the inadequate lighting (his brights weren't working either) and work in the morning. We took the fireroad back to the staging area. It was good to get back out and ride. Thanks to all for being punctual. Now I am pumped for a longer ride and look forward to hearing the details of the rest of the night.

BC330 Night Ride Intro - 45 seconds

What a GREAT ride we had. Sorry you guys couldn't do the whole ride, Paul and Troy. Another EPIC SDAR ride. Night riding under a full moon on some fun trails with a few slab sections thrown in to connect it all together. We left the staging area at PV cul-de-sac at 8:30pm after about 30 minutes of repairs to Paul's 200 and arrived back at 12:30am. I logged 63 miles on my odo. I don't know all the trails we did but there where some new ones for me. Most of it was pretty dusty but there was one nice new trail that was mainly sandy and still wet from one of the recent isloated showers in the area. Places we rode included Bear Valley Road, Kernan Cycle Trail, Corral Canyon Road, Morena Village, La Posta Road, Thing Valley, Sunrise Highway and Pine Creek Road.

Here are few pics for your enjoyment.

Here is Matt and Chris ready to ride.

post-4114-1252086824.jpg

Here is my bike and Brent ready to ride.

post-4114-1252086841.jpg

Here is Troy and Paul thinking they are ready to ride.

post-4114-1252086866.jpg

This is some guy named Hammer that said he was banned from the site but not from riding so we let him tag along.

post-4114-1252086882.jpg

And then there was Paul and Troy doing some maintenance stuff on Paul's 200 before we started on the ride.

post-4114-1252086897.jpg

A couple of shots of the guys and bikes at Corral Canyon Road and Kernan Trail intersection.

post-4114-1252086915.jpg

Chris is checking the tire pressure on Brent's front tire using the fist/pound method.

post-4114-1252086931.jpg

A group shot of the Hard Core 5 at the SDAR Adopt-a-Trail sign at the entrance to Kernan Cycle Trail.

post-4114-1252086948_thumb.jpg

Awesone ride, had a full on blast. Lots of new trails and for my first night ride it was great after a bit of a slow start. I was a little unsure of how the ride would go early on because it quickly turned into a memorable(spelling?) time. Thanks to everyone esp BC330 for leading and showing up some of his home turf. DRZ

Thanks to all for joining in. It was great to be out on a weekday night. Bummer that Shock, and Troy had to turn back, but maybe next time we do a night run, you guys can roll out. So I showed the boys some fire roads, and trials around Campo, and Lake Morena. Trails that I grew up ridding, and also running from the local athority on. All in all we had a great ride, decent trail conditions, and AWSOME weather. The crazy part was at the end, we all stopped and gathered back up at the end of pine creek rd, and old hwy 80. We hooked a left on to the hwy, not even 50 yards after the bridge a 3-point buck just about took my front fender off! :o I think he frightend me more than I did him. But that was it, no injuries, no one left for dead.... good ride, Thanks Again to all, see ya again soon :lol:

BC

Thanks to all for joining in. It was great to be out on a weekday night. Bummer that Shock, and Troy had to turn back, but maybe next time we do a night run, you guys can roll out. So I showed the boys some fire roads, and trials around Campo, and Lake Morena. Trails that I grew up ridding, and also running from the local athority on. All in all we had a great ride, decent trail conditions, and AWSOME weather. The crazy part was at the end, we all stopped and gathered back up at the end of pine creek rd, and old hwy 80. We hooked a left on to the hwy, not even 50 yards after the bridge a 3-point buck just about took my front fender off! :o I think he frightend me more than I did him. But that was it, no injuries, no one left for dead.... good ride, Thanks Again to all, see ya again soon :lol:

BC

Nice ride Brent - thanks for organizing and leading.

You couldn't dial in the temperature any better and the extra light from the ~full moon helped too. I have to say that I was thinking about deer jumping across the main paved road in the Mtns - we've all seen what happens to cars when they collide with deer.

Night riding is a different experience - I was definitely more focused as your vision is obviously reduced. Night riding opens up 12 more hours/day of riding opportunity - looking forward to the next one. I want Brent's night system though.

sdmxr