Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

Stripped engine block bolt hole

The lowest most forward block/case bolt hole is stripped. I guess time took its toll and the threads are now on the bolt, and not on the block where they belong. What is my fix? Do I take it to a shop and have them heli coil new threads? Do I need to split cases and replace gasket?

The lowest most forward block/case bolt hole is stripped. I guess time took its toll and the threads are now on the bolt, and not on the block where they belong. What is my fix? Do I take it to a shop and have them heli coil new threads? Do I need to split cases and replace gasket?

You can buy a helicoil kit and fix it your self. Most kits come with everything you need to repair the stripped thread. As far as gaskets, If it doesn't leak do not open it up. If it does because the bolt try to repair the bolt threads before splitting the case.

My 2cents :D

new threads? Do I need to split cases and replace gasket?

MOST OF THE TREADS ON THE CRANK CASE ARE LONGER THAN THE BOLT TREAD ON IT , TRY A LONGER BOLT,IF YOU HAVE 3 TIMES THE DIAMETER OR AT LEAST 2 , INSTALL A NEW LONGER BOLT AND LOCKTITE

IF you have to replace it, I've read (ThumperTalk) these are much better than the heli-coil. I have tried neither and am only passing along another alternative.

http://timesert.com/

Free info and you get what you pay for...

Best of luck!

Troutte