bruceh

aluminum hand guard woes

I recently bought a pair of Moose Racing aluminum hand guards and some plastic covers for them.

I made the mistake of drilling the holes for the screws that secure the plastic covers before I test fitted them to the handlebars. When I test fitted them I found that the aluminum bar needed to be slightly bent to get them to line up with the handlebar attachment. As I was bending the guard it cracked in two right where I drilled the screw holes. crap! :unsure:

I was able to fit the other side just fine and then drill the screw holes.

So my question is, should I get these welded back together or should I just buy another set for $40?

Anyone on the forum know how to weld aluminum and be willing to make a quick repair?

i was able to fit the other side just fine and then drill the screw holes.

So my question is, should I get these welded back together or should I just buy another set for $40?

Anyone on the forum know how to weld aluminum and be willing to make a quick repair?

Some aleations of aluminium are heat treated, weld it jus will make look complete, but will not offer the same result, you can weld on AC courrent arc weld machine ,( welco 26 )i dont think that weld is a good idea, and by the labor of the welder , if i were you i will buy a new one.

I recently bought a pair of Moose Racing aluminum hand guards and some plastic covers for them.

I made the mistake of drilling the holes for the screws that secure the plastic covers before I test fitted them to the handlebars. When I test fitted them I found that the aluminum bar needed to be slightly bent to get them to line up with the handlebar attachment. As I was bending the guard it cracked in two right where I drilled the screw holes. crap! :unsure:

I was able to fit the other side just fine and then drill the screw holes.

Just buy the replacement, It will most likly cost 40 to weld. I would weld it for you, but the spool gun is $500 and straight Argon & bottle $150 and $40 for the wire. I will stick to Steel.

Once you drill the aluminum, you've created a weak point in it, and that's where it will break. I would buy another set.

Here is my input about aluminum guards.......I personally don't like them. If you drop the bike hard and it bends the handguards, it's really difficult to bend them back to their original shape on the trail, which could inhibit your riding if they're bent.

I've always preferred just the plastic ones, they protect well (not 100%) and they retain they're shape easily. You should carry spare clutch and brake levers all the time, in case you break one anyway.

That's just my opinion :)