Gbus Crisis

Acrylic Windshield Cutting

I need about three inches cut off from my CalSci windshield. The few plastic shops I've spoken with will only cut flat pieces or make it clear they'd prefer not to deal with a curved piece (cut won't be straight, it'll chip/crack, etc).

Can anyone refer me to a local shop that can/will do this?

Thanks.

I need about three inches cut off from my CalSci windshield. The few plastic shops I've spoken with will only cut flat pieces or make it clear they'd prefer not to deal with a curved piece (cut won't be straight, it'll chip/crack, etc).

Thanks.

theres a couple guys who are pretty handy with a dremel tool at genalyte.... :lol:

Thanks.

theres a couple guys who are pretty handy with a dremel tool at genalyte.... :lol:

That's how I would do (try) it. I would tape it up good to protect it, use a cut-off wheel to rough it out and use a belt sander to get the finish profile. The cut-off wheel will be difficult because it will probably melt more than cut. Personally I don't know any one that would take the responsibility for cutting yours, other than maybe a water jet shop, and they would probably charge quite a bit. There are also some hot wire cutters that might work well. Good luck with it. Ken

Call a Harley shop. I had my windshield cut 3 ". Duck tape it good on both sides and use a fine tooth jig saw blade at high speed???The Harley shop will refer you to someone.

You could also use one of the fine tooth dremel circular saw bits. That might do better than a cutting disk, though they do have dremel disks just for plastic.

I've cut old helmet visors before to make a lens cover for my on-bike camera set up on my track bike back when I was running trackcam.com.

+1 on what Ken said, tape it well, rough cut, then sand to final profile. You can also get a nice bevel on the edge.

I've cut down the plexiglass windshield on my Shadow a couple of times. Did it right on the bike as the mounting holds it in place.

Tape the cutting area up with a couple layers of masking tape. Tape a wide enough area to protect from the sawing. Mark the line on the tape you want to cut and us a jig saw with a medium pitch toothed blade. You want 3 or 4 teeth in contact with the plexiglass so the thickness of the windshield determines the blade pitch. Use a speed on the jig saw that is not to fast or the cutting will heat up the plexiglass causing it to melt and gum up the works. After cutting use a file to smooth out the edge and round it or whatever shape to match the rest of the windshield. If the edge is polished then you can use a propane torch to polish it (be careful not to burn it) or some other method.