Just a little heads up for military members and those associated with them. Per the OPNAVINST 5100.12H all military members are required to have completed the offroad training for either ATV's or dirtbikes prior to operating a privatly owned dirtbike or ATV. Up here in Lemoore we are running in to a legal issue with this. Our OHV track on base (doesn't everyone have moto x tracks on base?) has been shut down to all members unless you have documented proof of offroad class completion. Additionaly, no one(civilians or active duty) can ride on military offroad facilities without the class either.

I see the writing on the wall here. With all the offroad injuries, the military is trying to enforce the mandatory training. Get yourself to the class and be in compliance with the instruction before you have an accident offroad and get hammered for not obeying an instruction.

The safety center up here has the class and with a little research you can find out who provides this class (free) in your area. Get with your local safety center for info. This class should be free to military members and your command is authorized to give you time off to attend.

I'll look into it, I'm taking over as the command motorcycle safety rep so I've dug into the instruction quite a bit. The 5100.12 used to say that OHV training was required if operating an OHV on a base and recommended if you use your off road toys elsewhere, I don't know if that has changed. Since you are lucky enough to have a track on the base that would be why they are enforcing the rule.

I'll look into it, I'm taking over as the command motorcycle safety rep so I've dug into the instruction quite a bit. The 5100.12 used to say that OHV training was required if operating an OHV on a base and recommended if you use your off road toys elsewhere, I don't know if that has changed. Since you are lucky enough to have a track on the base that would be why they are enforcing the rule.

Yep, check 1.14(e)

it says somthing to the effect of all active duty with privatly owned ATV's/ dirtbikes must have the course.

Yea the OHV onbase is a good target for 100% compliance on every regulation. No worries if you just take the class and wear the gear.

Yep, check 1.14(e)

it says somthing to the effect of all active duty with privatly owned ATV's/ dirtbikes must have the course.

Yea the OHV onbase is a good target for 100% compliance on every regulation. No worries if you just take the class and wear the gear. Spent an hour on it yesterday! Sweet.

So it hasn't changed (yet). I signed up for that class four times, it was cancelled before I showed up two times and cancelled after I showed up the other two, once for rain and once because I was the only guy there with a spark arrestor. Now the only place they have the class is on Camp Pendleton so it's not very convenient. Did you do the class? Was it decent?

Yep, check 1.14(e)

Yea the OHV onbase is a good target for 100% compliance on every regulation. No worries if you just take the class and wear the gear. Spent an hour on it yesterday! Sweet.

So it hasn't changed (yet). I signed up for that class four times, it was cancelled before I showed up two times and cancelled after I showed up the other two, once for rain and once because I was the only guy there with a spark arrestor. Now the only place they have the class is on Camp Pendleton so it's not very convenient. Did you do the class? Was it decent?

We have a class scheduled for May 2nd, I'm attending that one.

Yes, I know I just said I was on the track recently....ok here it goes, opening can of worms. A street legal dual sport bike is not technically an OHV. Per the safety center up here a "dirtbike" that the 5100.12 instruction refers to is an OHV non highway legal vehicle that if registered in CA would have a green or red sticker. I have the MSF experienced rider course within the past 3 years and am operating a highway legal vehicle, so technically I'm compliant with all military instructions.

Yes I'm taking the class asap so as not to have any issues at all with this. The 5100.12 specifically applies to ATV's and "dirtbikes" but since I am riding on a military OHV park I should get the class, even though I'm not operating a "dirtbike". Hell I had the BMW on this track and it is for sure not a dirtbike or OHV. Better to go the extra mile, take the class and not dwell in grey areas or loopholes. The man will smack you down sooner or later.

Would this be a good place for a plug for Dirt Safety LLC? Your choice for dirt bike training. We are MSF certified and have a class this Saturday the 25th in Campo.

Our class meets the requirements for dirtbikes in OPNAVINST 5100.12H :lol:

It's a good plug, I should talk with the Navy Region Southwest motorcycle safety coordinator and have them contract with you to get this class up and running for military members.

It's a good plug, I should talk with the Navy Region Southwest motorcycle safety coordinator and have them contract with you to get this class up and running for military members.

The program is in place and operating. It is FREE to military and may have a waiting list. It is MSF and ASI sponsored. My class is not free and I have classes every month with no wait. :lol:

Use your chain of command to obtain this training through the Navy or Marine Corps.