Sign in to follow this  
Beezzz

Anza Borrego "Hey Rich" post your pics

REMEMBER YOUR FIRST DUAL SPORT RIDE?

My first trip out on the '02 KTM 520 and my first dual sport ride. FUN, FUN, FUN. I rode with Husky4me on his TE 450 '06 (for sale, great bike) , an anonymous member "Rich", who I met on the trial with his XT 225 from Butterfields Ranch to Oriflammne to Banner to the Squeezz and the drop off and back to the Ranch. FUN. FUN, FUN. New territory is always of interest and the day was 75 degrees and sunny with beautiful scenery everywhere. Rich was a solo rider well prepared with 3 days of rations, survival tent, 2 gallons of water, sat phone, chain, levers, tools, jackets and everything else a solo rider should carry. Very impressive survival insurance. I carried a quart of water and small tools. I acted and looked like a first day outer. He rode with care. I rode like it was my last day on earth. I gave the 520 KTM a good first day test. That 520 is a large power long bore, with smooth tractor pull. We all had a great time. The squeeze and the drop off are more technical than the pictures imply. Technical is fun. I can't wait to go again. Dual sport riding; dirt riding without "whoops", can it be?

Beezzz

Yes Beezz, we had lots of fun that Saturday evening! I was able to enjoy riding the Husky again, and it was lots of fun!

I guess, what I need to do is more riding... ;)

Rich was a nice guy, and showed us how to be well prepared for solo adventures. I waited for him some time on Sunday, but then left to check out Salton Sea for the first time. There's lots of riding going that direction, but the actual lake stinks bad once you are there...

Sorry about no pictures, but my little camera is not working, and I was too lazy to bring my big camera with me.

Your KTM 520 is poerful and fun! You should probably keep it for the desert adventures and dual sport rides...

Will post pictures next time we ride.

Martin B.

Hey guys I just got my login validated on friday. I have a ride report 90% ready bit I scored the burbank gig and I'm super busy workin 7 days a week. maybe later today I'll be able to post the report with pics.

Rich

I'll be able to post the report with pics.

Rich

Welcome RichXT.

Beezzz

Here are the pics with brief comments.

The Route

post-13401-1238980504_thumb.jpg

About 60 miles total.

Camp

Leaving

Heading out after a quick lunch provided by Beezzz's wife.

North on S2

Almost to the turn off. I was in sweep posotion all day and got lucky, no cars behind me at all.

Bike Swap

Beezzz wanted to try the Husky

Oriflamme Creek

Very green and lush in an otherwise dry brown landscape.

Near State Park Line

I was waaay behind so I stopped for a pic near the water crossing near the park border.

Pinyon Mountian

Smooth sandy uphill fun.

The Squeeze

It looks scarier from this side.

Beezzz Going Up The Squeeze

Us "more experienced" dual-sport riders chose not to go down the Squeeze as we were not going all the way.

Snake!

This guy was on the trail on the way out. I almost ran over him because he looked like a branch.

Thx for posting! Glad to see my sorta neighbor out there. Good Job BEEEEEEEEZ :)

Thanks for posting Rich! :) Let's see if we can get together for another ride out there before it gets too hot! Beezzz, you, and I, and anybody else who wants to join us. Maybe we can do some of the Desert Dash Route.. I'm checking my weekend schedule for this month....

If I'm not working this weekend (04\11) I'm gonna check out the Egg Mountian/Mortero wash area south of where we went last ride. Hopefully the weather report is right and it will rain a little on friday night. I'll findout about work on wed. Not too many weekends left to ride the desert before it gets HOT.

Thanks RichXT for posting the great pictures. They add a lot to the post. Too bad they not all of me.

I look forward our next ride out there. Not sure if it will be this weekend or not. Let's check the weather towards the end of the week.

Beezzz