Sign in to follow this  
SteveO

Thursday 2/19 ride + gates

Thursday, I took the bike out to the Desert View off of Hwy 79, just south of Julian. I planned to ride Mason Valley TT to Rodriguez Spur TT. I found the Mason Vly entrance had a locked gate with an "area closed" sign on it. Also, it was covered with fresh snow.

After some wandering around, I went down to Banner and entered there. A little ways up the trail, there was a closed, unclocked gate, which I opened, went through, then closed. On the gate was a sign that said "Locked gate ahead". Further on, I came to a barbed wire gate which I opened, went through, then closed. After joining up with Mason Valley TT, I proceeded down to Hwy S2. Again, I encountered another closed, unlocked gate. This gate across the road was part of a fence that looked like it might surround a ranch. Apparently most of the traffic didn't go through the gate, but took a detour down the wash, so I did the same. When I got to S2, I saw a sign that said "Oriflamme Canyon".

My general philosophy on gates is if they are unlocked and there is no sign saying "Private Road", I can go through. Does anyone here disagree?

Before heading back up Mason Valley TT (which runs through Oriflamme Canyon?), I headed up S2 to the unnamed point where I think the last night ride started. I headed about seven miles east until I came to this place.

DSCF0016.jpg

I stopped to check it out and found a line down it, but figured I had only a 50/50 chance of getting back up on the first try, so I ate lunch and then returned. Is this the place called the Squeeze?

Steve

Yes, that last picture is of "The Squeeze" on Pinion Mountain road. If you had kept going, you would have made it to "The Drop" also known as "Heart Attack" hill, and finally to the desert floor near Split Mountain road and Ocotillo.

Funny you should mention Mason Valley truck trail, I hadn't even heard of it until the other day in this post.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4094

Anyway, I figured I would take a look at it on my way out to the Desert Dash....maybe a good shortcut to get to Butterfield Ranch. Not much of a shortcut with a locked gate and a foot of snow. This is just north of Cuyamaca Lake. Does anyone know when this gate was last open? The sign said something about being closed due to fire hazard.

snow003.jpg

snow004.jpg

snow005.jpg

:blink: a couple of riders that shall be unnamed... I'll call them huffy and pestopilot, rode an unnamed trail, that I will refer to as brantom trail on Friday, and went from a location I'll call Gutterpeeled Ranch and ended up at a place I call rucky five ranch...

They ended up in that much snow