stevehof

Trail Reports? Have you been here

I have a friend that owns a GS1200. We've talked about doing Grapevine Canyon from top to bottom. Is this GS-able?

I'm also interested in the ride that goes from Warner Springs to Anza. The trail starts just north of Warner Springs as Puerta La Cruz Truck Trail up past Indian Flats into Chihuahua Valley. It looks like the road/trail up to Anza takes off about N33 24 10.21 & W116 41 14.19?? There also seems to be an alternate route branching off about 1.6 miles up from this coordinate. This road goes east and then north to the Anza area. I’ve been up to Chihuahua Valley on Puerta La Cruz and that part of the road would be OK for the GS. It’s the routes out of Chihuahua Valley up to Anza that I’m unfamiliar with. Are either of these roads/trails passable on a big dual sport and a rider with average skills or are they actually knarly 4WD trails?

Lastly, is the Chariot Canyon - Rodriquez Canyon - Oriflamme Canyon route down to S2 traversable for a rider with average skills on a big dual sport?

Specifically, are there any steep rocky/rutted climbs or descents on any of these routes?

Steve,

Grapevine is doable for a GS1200......nothing technical, just the standard sand in parts on the lower side. Rodriguez TT has a few spots where you have to maneuver around some rocks, but nothing too severe for the average rider. Oriflamme canyon has a few more spots on it that require a little bit more attention(loose rock....sharp turns) but if you take it slow and easy...no problem. Both the Rodriguez TT and Oriflamme/Mason truck trail come out at the same place at the bottom.....there are some sand sections, and a few sand curves that can bite you if you're not paying attention. All three of these trails would be fine with patience and proper line choices. Good luck and enjoy the cool scenery.

Rick