Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

And finally; a street ride 01/04/09

New Years weekend and I think we got just about all of it in, as far as riding motorcycles goes. Thursday was a dualsport ride. Saturday was trailriding the two-strokes. Today was freeze-yer-butt-off street riding in the mountains. That's some kind of a two wheeled trifecta. :)

It was an afternoon ride. I would get to ride the bike after I finally had enough money saved to put on new tires, chain and sprockets. The shock absorbers that I had were trashed too, but I dug up the OEM ones in the garage, and they worked fairly well (excellent in comparison to the blown ones that had been on the bike). The tires were 11 years old; so was the chain and sprockets. There was a pile of rusty grease balls and chain O-rings piled up inside the sprocket cover when I took it off. Dreadful stuff, but that's all over with now. Never dreamed that I would put Kenda tires on any street bike that I owned, but they turned out to be an inexpensive, yet good performing product that I can trust in the corners.

So the bike was all fixed up and felt real good. So did I, so I suggested that we ride up to Palomar Mountain when Jeff had dropped by on his Honda. It was going to be cold up there, so I knew I should wear lots of fuzzies under my leathers. It was colder than I thought, even though I have ridden up there in the throes of Winter before. I guess I am just getting old. But, I didn't let getting old slow me down and had a good time in the twisties. I think I went faster to get across the mountain and out of the cold, actually. :D I used my Kendas all the way out to the edges of the tread.

After that, We stopped at the Henshaw Grill to thaw out a bit and have a snack. Then it was off down the road to Mesa Grande. We also took the Old Julian Highway road into Ramona. Good fun, even if we did freeze half to death. :D

Kawasaki and me with Lake Henshaw in the background.

100_1477.jpg

What the heck have we here?

100_1482.jpg

Good old American West camel ranching! :D

100_1480.jpg

I wonder what trendy products they are deriving from camels these days. :)

Anyway, it was a good way to end our biking trifecta New Years weekend.

you know you are crazy :) blasting thru palamar, snow on the edges and wet or maybe frozen spots on the pavement

no slips, thank the Lord. didn't see manyother bikes up there today? thunderhawk running great, good day :D

Camel Dairy Info. We always head out to the desert via Old Julian Highway and the camels have been there for the last several years.

Strange....I've been out that way quite a few times in the past couple of years and never noticed them before today. :rolleyes:

Your not getting old! At least that is what I have figuered out reading about all your rides. Your not old, it was just dam'n cold!!

I just remembered that this guy was shooting pix on Palomar that day. I found his shots of Jeff and I. Some day when I have some money again, I'm going to order a picture from this guy since he does such a fine job. And if I see him early enough, I'll try to lean over further, too. <_<

meonZR.jpg

Jeff.jpg

Just remember, if you lean over further, you have to go faster also. Otherwise, you will run off the inside of the road!

Steve

I just remembered that this guy was shooting pix on Palomar that day. I found his shots of Jeff and I. Some day when I have some money again, I'm going to order a picture from this guy since he does such a fine job. And if I see him early enough, I'll try to lean over further, too. :rolleyes: