dirt dame

Happy New Year ride 01/01/09

I had some work to do this morning and I also wanted to sleep in and I also wanted to go to the sale at Cycle Gear and I also wanted to go for a dualsport ride. I sort of did all of it. Slept in till 7:30, had breakfast, did some bike work, then Jeff arrived and we both went over to Cycle Gear and bought some stuff, but not too much. Tires for the TE were my main concern and I bought a set for as good a price as I was ever going to find, I think. After that, I got suited up and pulled the KLX out of the garage (the TE still has some radiator problems.... B)) and off we went to Ramona.

It was a fairly late start and a beautiful day up there. We went up Orosco Ridge trail and found a somewhat short but challenging abandoned trail that was quite scenic as well as damaging to my Kawasaki. :P. Turns out that I'm not so good at getting over fallen trees. Jeff had to help me take the bike over this one tree on the way down the trail and then on the way back up, but not before I managed to rip the fork guard off of the right side of the machine on a rather stout branch.

We also went up Lusardi trail. I have heard that it goes all the way through to a paved road, but we found what I have found in the past, a heavy duty, locked gate a few miles in. So, we rode back down and went up into Ramona for some milk shakes. By then it was around 4:00, and so it was time to head home. My odometer told me that I had put 86 miles on the bike when I rolled into the driveway this evening :)

A lot of the trails have changed since the last time I rode them. I think some of the trails have been rerouted and many sections have been widened and graded. There were a bunch of target shooters out enjoying the nice weather today also. For something close to home, ya can't beat riding this area, especially after some rain has dampened things up a bit. It was a good ride for the first day of the new year. B)

Stoopid tree is eating my motorsickle. :) There were several downed trees across this trail.

CIMG3608.jpg

Jeff rescued it for me. The fork guard is still intact in this shot.

100_1451.jpg

No more expensive and brittle fork guard left after we climbed out of the canyon. :)

100_1456.jpg

A beautiful start to the new year.

100_1459.jpg

There were lots of washed out areas on the trails. Too bad I don't have a shot of me jumping one that came up unexpectedly! :P

100_1453.jpg

Well, that's about it for now. :)

Looks like a nice day up there.

Never ridden Ramona area. Is Lusardi just closed after storms or ?

I have never seen the gate unlocked up the trail and I have ridden the trail since 1991. I see tracks going around the gate, but the land on the other side of that gate appears to be private property. Some people who ride don't seem to "notice" private property and locked gates.

People used to tell me about great "secret" fishin' spots too. I'd ask them if it was legal to go there and fish, and they would always answer "yes". Then I'd go out to the spot and the whole pond or lake would have a fence around it and an overabundance of "no tresspassing or fishing" signs all over the perimeter. People often seem to do the same thing with trails. :unsure: