I've had my XR since May and after two off-road rides with SD adventure riders I have decided that I am going to get the suspension mods done before I hurt or kill myself riding. I have had a few bikes in the past but they were set up strictly for dirt. I do prefer a stiffer suspension set up to begin with so getting the right compromise set up for on and off road is my goal with my XR.

According to a few weight / spring rating charts I have looked at the optimal weight for a rider on the stock XR650L suspension is only 178lbs! The sag in the rear is supposed to be somewhere from 90 to 100 mm.

I weigh 220 and with that Mongo 6 gal tank on my bike, I figure the combined load with a full tank of gas and me on the bike is approaching 260lbs (with gear).

That explains allot ! I have not been riding with the most confidence having a mushy and sluggish handling bike.

I am going to remedy this by re-springing and re-valving both the forks and the mono shock. if any of you XR riders are interested in seeing it done you are welcome to contact me and come over to the house and watch or participate when I get all of the parts in.

Thanks: Good point on considering the bike's unloaded weight seperate from being loaded. In trying to explain my reason for going with the suspension upgrade I referred to the load (me, gas & gear) that the bike has to cary effectively since the max weight suggested in the owners manual is about what the bike weighs dry.. I plan on going with Eibach 47kg springs up front and a 12kg on the monoshock.

I am 260lbs and will be needing to modify the suspension on my L as well :o Too bad the 12.0 is the heaviest rear spring available, according to their chart i need a 12.7!

Anyway, I am interesting in heading over to lend a hand and see how its done!

Guest Guest

Hey guys. I was have a hell of time riding my stock bike. Suspension was not up to par, along with my riding skills. I am 6 5 300 so needed retuning desperately. I went to Precision Concepts in Temecula. Price was OK not great. Bike on the other hand was fantastic. First thing I did was get it in the air and when I landed it was like hitting pillows!! Unless you know what your doing it might be better to let the professional do it! See you guys soon. 650l's are the Sh*%!

Got the new springs in! I still have not got the service manual I ordered from XR's only so I changed my mind on doing it myself.

I like a challenge but I like being alive too, I decided to play it safe and go with Precision concepts on N. Johnson in El Cajon using my new Eibach springs.

After I get the pig back together they will set the sag properly (I was told at no additional cost) and I will be good to go!

Total damge is going to be around $400 + the $242 I spent on the Eibach springs.

A little on the expensive side but I am confident that my pig will handle allot better and I have heard from numerous people that their work is solid and reliable.

Looking forward to riding with SDAR again soon!

Aaron

New Suspension set up is Rockin! The bike sucks up the rough stuff nicely and is soooo much tighter on the road as well. For all you XR riders out there, you cannot go wrong with the Eibach sprngs and Precision Concepts work on the forks!

It is worth every penny!

I finally got my service manual so If you need tech info feel free to contact me.

Ride On!

Thanks Aaron

I am curious, what are YOUR specs?

I am 6'3" and 255lbs (without gear) and definitely need to stiffen up the ride!

Problem is, according to the weight chart all the springs offered top out around 230 or so.

Any feedback on this?

K