Sign in to follow this  
Gbus Crisis

Strom in the Desert: Saturday October 25

I'm going to take the Wee out towards In Ko Pah/McCain/Ocotillo/Plaster City on Saturday and ride around on roads and trails called Nancy or Sally. I don't know the areas all that well so mostly it'll be casual exploring with a minor goal of challenging myself without hurting myself.

I invite any other big bike riders to join me -- or better yet, guide me -- on this little adventure.

Howdy Ken,

My Wee (same years as yours!) is still stock in all the places that matter. It has crash bars and luggage racks and hand guards, but no skid plate. I'm the recent second owner of the beast so I'm not entirely sure if the tires are stock or not. They sure aren't knobbies, though.

The skill level of the ride will be beginner. Maybe 'brave beginner'. I'm thinking fire roads and trails that look like fire roads. No scary inclines or drop-offs. If we do rocky roads the rocks will not be much bigger than golf balls. Maybe up to tennis ball size -- maybe. If we find a wide, flat spot I might practice spinning and locking of the rear wheel, but don't plan to take any trails (or ride at speeds) that require that technique.

"Beginner" sounds so beginnerish. I like to refer to the type of ride that you are going on as "easy and scenic". It sounds more attractive, like a resort brochure. :(

I would be good with a really early start as I was reminded of a commitment with my step daughter. Maybe even something closer in involving fireroads, etc. Just have some time limitations. Could do another day unrestricted or modify the plan.

"Scenic" sounds good. Just too much sticking out on the Strom and I've managed to keep all parts in place so far.

Ken

Easy and Scenic. No matter what the ride turns out to be, those words will be in the ride report. ;) I'll try to use the word 'resort' as well. Hopefully it won't be prefaced with 'last'.

Ken: My last couple of weeks and weekends have been heavily scheduled and regimented, not something I want to continue this weekend. So if we could trade "early" for short, maybe we could ride Thing Valley one direction or both, then you could head off to your appointment while me and the implied others continue on east?

Joe: No time and place yet. I don't have a route planned and I'm not pressed for time on Saturday. I figured enough people would chime in that would all get decided by committee.

Since that's not working out very well . . . :huh:

For places to meet I'll suggest:

1) The park-n-ride off of I-8 at Lake Jennings Road

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Park-n-Ride+...165,-116.881699

or

2) Pine Valley Parking Lot

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pine+Valley+...8161,-116.53297

Meet at one of those all gassed up at 9:00? We'll go east from there.

Lake Jennings Park & Ride 9:00 AM.

I'll be there and ride as long as I can. Others can continue to their scenic, resort like ride.

Ken

I know the park and ride lot at Lake jennings. If i dont get beat up from Fridays ride i will be there. I also have to take my inlaw to hooters for his bday friday night at 7. He has never seen a hooters..