Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerin Hammon

New BMW. video

Hmmn, they've received pretty good reviews. 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on a dirt bike?? :rolleyes:

Once they're street legal in CA I might have to take a closer look.

Walker1 and I checked the one out that they had down at the BMW demo days. I thought it was 50 state street legal, but I guess it is only 49 state legal. It was a nice looking bike, I think the biggest down side to it is going to be the 1.8 gallon tank. Being under the seat, I think it will be difficult and costly to make a bigger tank sutible for dualsporting. Ken

Walker1 and I checked the one out that they had down at the BMW demo days. I thought it was 50 state street legal, but I guess it is only 49 state legal. It was a nice looking bike, I think the biggest down side to it is going to be the 1.8 gallon tank. Being under the seat, I think it will be difficult and costly to make a bigger tank sutible for dualsporting. Ken

Yeah, that's the other downside. I'm sure it won't take long for someone to figure out how to increase that. Maybe by the time it's CAA legal . . .

I guess it depends on how much room there is under the seat like that. Could almost be easier than a normal tank if under the subframe there is plenty of room. Not sure why BMW would go so small on something thats a dual sport bike tho (thats as small as my WRRs tank which kind of sucks)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Hmmn, they've received pretty good reviews. 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on a dirt bike?? :drinks:

If you change the tank, it voids the warranty. You will fill the tank 900 times or 3 years and still be under warranty.

Hmmn, they've received pretty good reviews. 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on a dirt bike?? :drinks:

If you change the tank, it voids the warranty. You will fill the tank 900 times or 3 years and still be under warranty.

We need a "sarcasm" smilie, I almost thought you were serious and was going to go into my whole Beverly-Song Warranty Act spiel . . . :cray: :lol:

In all seriousness, I do wonder what people are going to do to increase the gas capacity on those?

The aftermarket will come through eventually... they always do

This is a tougher nut than a regular gas tank, but necessity IS the mother of invention.

Next is revised EFI mapping. I do believe EFI is the future, and people will figure out solutions... I'll jump on the bandwagon as soon as it's been out 5 years, and the problems have all been solved; of course, by then, I will be the slow guy on the old bike... again :drinks:

This is a tougher nut than a regular gas tank, but necessity IS the mother of invention.

Next is revised EFI mapping. I do believe EFI is the future, and people will figure out solutions... I'll jump on the bandwagon as soon as it's been out 5 years, and the problems have all been solved; of course, by then, I will be the slow guy on the old bike... again :drinks:

EFI mapping is not an issue its already done on countless street bikes. The real issue right now is we don't have o2 sensors on bike systems so we cannot actively monitor air fuel ratios. The bike has a plug to change the map and put out more power already.

Heck my WRR has a powercommander on it which is an EFI programmer you can tune with a laptop or on the fly

Some of the new KTMS and other BMWs also have underseat tanks tho for weight so its not that rare of a thing looking forward it puts the weight lower and around the pivot point of the bike

EFI mapping is not an issue its already done on countless street bikes. The real issue right now is we don't have o2 sensors on bike systems so we cannot actively monitor air fuel ratios. The bike has a plug to change the map and put out more power already.

Heck my WRR has a powercommander on it which is an EFI programmer you can tune with a laptop or on the fly

Some of the new KTMS and other BMWs also have underseat tanks tho for weight so its not that rare of a thing looking forward it puts the weight lower and around the pivot point of the bike

I should've been more clear on the mapping... I know they already do it with street bikes. they already have the best maps for each bike figured out, and you can get access to this info, and download fairly easily... I don't think they have this for the dirtbikes, yet... but, you're right... with an O2 sensor, and the right software, it'll be easier than changing jets

We have 3 maps from Powercommander for my bike

1 map by a dude named WKboarder who got dyno tuned, and now a couple other dyno tuned mappings but they don't cover the full range of mods

This is a beautiful bike, just like my X! BMW has great media marketing, love their videos, and pictures of their bikes off-road... But pure off-road bikes are not BMW's strong point or experience. Apparently they are experimenting in this area with the 450 cc class. I give it a "10" on looks! :wacko: Hopefully it is a good bike that will make it in this tough market... :tease: