Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Dual Sport Liability Insurance

Just got off the phone with AAA to add my 99 WR400 to my policy. They say I can't insure because it doesn't have an odometer. A similar issue I had trying to register it, but DMV has laws that explicitly state "no odometer from manufacturer, no odometer required".

Can I get some info about how any SDARers have insured their grandfathered plated dirtbikes? Who is your provider? I went through 3 managers at AAA before giving up that doesn't seem like an option. I'd be especially interested in knowing if you are insured by AAA without an odometer.

GRRR!!

Thanks for any info,

Erick

Bummer you are having problems with AAA. I know trailtech makes accurate durable ride computers that have an odometer. Not too expensive and nice to have to keep track of fuel, oil changes ect.

You might try another AAA office? Good luck. Ken

Just got insured by GEICO. No prob. They don't care about the odometer because it's only liability insurance. Filled out a form online, voila!

Any yes... I think a caveman could have done it...

I actually have a TrailTech comp, but it only has a 2 digit trip counter. I told the AAA rep that my bike has 86 miles on it, not amused....

I use AAA in escondido, my crf 450r had the trail tech endurance meter for the mileage and speedo,they went with it.

I have Allstate and was able to add my '00 DRZ-400e just fine - it only had a resettable trip meter.

No problems when I added my '06 Husky, but it does have a real ODO.

If any bike was going to have a problem it would have been my '07 Gas Gas TXT 300 Pro trials bike.

Because it isn't plated it is on a different type of policy, a recreational vehicle policy of some sort. Covers theft and liability.

My wife was at Triple A (hole) insurance agent for 7 years and doesn't have much good to say about them as a company to work for. The insurance product was OK though I guess.

She's switched to being an Allstate agent before her current stint as a stay at home mom. She still licensed though and just recently completed her continuing ed to renew her license. I'll ask her about this when I get home.

Sounds like the AAA agent doesn't know what they're talking about.

I have Allstate and was able to add my '00 DRZ-400e just fine - it only had a resettable trip meter.

No problems when I added my '06 Husky, but it does have a real ODO.

If any bike was going to have a problem it would have been my '07 Gas Gas TXT 300 Pro trials bike.

Because it isn't plated it is on a different type of policy, a recreational vehicle policy of some sort. Covers theft and liability.

My wife was at Triple A (hole) insurance agent for 7 years and doesn't have much good to say about them as a company to work for. The insurance product was OK though I guess.

She's switched to being an Allstate agent before her current stint as a stay at home mom. She still licensed though and just recently completed her continuing ed to renew her license. I'll ask her about this when I get home.

Sounds like the AAA agent doesn't know what they're talking about.

I spoke to an agent, a supervisor, then an agent in underwriting. All said the same, but I wasn't convinced that they looked anything up, it was clearly info off of the top of their heads. GEICO was a 10 minute deal, I'm insured starting tomorrow. No sweat.

I like the Tripe A (hole) name, it definitley fit today...

They almost never look at the bike, didn't it have 1,567 miles on it? :)

I have my WR400 insured through Progressive, no issues at all.

Talked to my wife last night about this.

She said that AAA-hole didn't verify new vehicle ODOs or condition, but they did photograph the condition of used vehicles, including the ODO. It is not a CA requirement, it is just something that AAA-hole does.

They were also much more restrictive about many aspects of home insurance, like how close brush can be to the house. Helps keep down their claims payout during fire season . . .