Sign in to follow this  
akrider

Hi from Alaska...

I am a new member and I joined to check out some riding info and pics from somewhere far warmer in the winter than Alaska. My dad and I both ride KLR 650s and are looking into doing a trip on the baja in Jan. Any info would be appreciated! We might just ship our bikes down and take off, but we might also look into a tour if the shipping is too much. Thanks... happy trails! Kim

welcome- one of our members recently moved to Alaska and is a state trooper; know him? I forget his name, but he's 45 or so

OK- that was a joke.... seriously; yeah we do rides in Baja during the winter and have a baja forum dedicated to baja.

Shipping your KLR's would be mucho expensive, I would think, and there are some companies that do tours and provide bikes (bikes better suited to baja; XRs and DRZ's)

welcome, again -_-

I was going to suggest that you just ride the bikes down. Then it hit me…January….Alaska …snow…ice, etc. Boy I can be stupid sometimes. I agree that it might be cheaper to rent bikes then ship them both ways.

January can be very cold in San Diego. There might be a day that the sun could be hidden by a cloud. There have been some Januarys when I had to wear a jacket over my tee-shirt. I remember one January in San Diego that I had to wear pants instead of shorts. It was cold! I think it got down to the high 50’s. :D

Ok I’ll quit pulling your chain. -_- Baja should be pleasant in January. It is warm during the day but cold at night. Lots of great rides down there, our local deserts are pretty good at that time of year also. I think you will have a great time in Baja and here. If you need any information on where to rent bikes for Baja or the different routes feel free to ask. We have a wide variety of experience in our membership. Somebody will be able to answer your questions. Heck, Hammer could even tell you the best surfing spots in Baja. You might even find someone here who would like to ride with you. One hint already, have a passport. You will not need it to go into Mexico but you may need it to get back into the U.S.

What part of Alaska are you from? I hope to ride to Alaska next summer. Maybe we could talk about that when you come down. Lets us know when you are going to be in town and I’ll buy you a beer. :D