Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerin Hammon

650L vs. KTM.990vs. KLR 650 which is better

Guest Hammerin Hammon

:lol: Quote: 650L vs. KTM990 Posted on T.T.

Originally Posted by craig hammon

Some of my friends, are switching over. I hate Orange bikes, they cost to much, and fall apart.

What do you guys think.

Craig.

I think some of your friends have more money than... well heh...

Lets see, first the XRL:

Been on the road in one version or another for 20 years. Proven reliability. Plenty of power for on road use. Plenty of power for casual off road use. Suspension (when tweaked for your weight) is capable of decent off road performance, a few jumps here and there (It's not an R). Change the oil and adjust the chain (after the basic uncorking) and have fun for the next 20 years. Oh, you'll have to change a few tires in that and adjust the valves (maybe heh) a COUPLE times in that 20 years.

OK the KTM:

Well, it costs 2 times as much. It does have a lot more power but a usable difference? Not much unless you just want to blast zero to sixty or above legal limit on the frwy. Adjust the valves A LOT. Much more maintenance. Jump it a few times and see what my friend did with a cracked frame ( we just casual ride in the Cali desert). But you do have that ORANGE thing going for you. I can't say how it will look 20 years from now but you can imagine. I think a better comparison would be klr vs ktm heh

If your going SM then the KTM would prolly be better except for the breakdowns and the maintenance and the price and the weight.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Originally Posted by craig hammon

Some of my friends, are switching over. I hate Orange bikes, they cost to much, and fall apart.

What do you guys think.

Craig.

Just be a friend...add a rack to you bike so you can help your friends carry back the pieces that fall off of their pumpkins

Guest Hammerin Hammon

:D Ron and I did one short dirt pass in Colorado at 11,000 feet, and we came to the conclusion our

bikes were too freakin' heavy for 2 weeks of off-road :lol:

So what about the transalp or the africa twin then craig?

Theres a lady who rode a TW200 from alaska to argentina so you can make any bike work long distances but how much time at 65+ feels comfortable on a 650L as opposed to a 990 KTM?

Is a 1985 Toyota pickup with a 4 banger a better truck than anything newer simply because it has 300,000+ miles on it, is simple as ----, and gets the job done but with none of the creature comforts of newer trucks?

Seems like the same logic. The 650L is a great bike, its just a great 20yr old bike you can buy brand new while some of us like to actually see technology advance. But then again surfers are not known for feeling the need to change from the old ways.

Maybe you should modify an old VW pickup for your business instead of whatever new fangled thing you use now I bet it would be superior in everyway just like a 650L :lol:

What do you guys think.

Craig.

:D Ron and I did one short dirt pass in Colorado at 11,000 feet, and we came to the conclusion our

bikes were too freakin' heavy for 2 weeks of off-road :lol:

Slut - Thanks again for posting the photo/message below a long time ago.....sums things up pretty well.....

aw_jeez.jpg

bunwpancakecc1.jpg

*image provided courtesy of dirt dame

Theres a lady who rode a TW200 from alaska to argentina so you can make any bike work long distances but how much time at 65+ feels comfortable on a 650L as opposed to a 990 KTM?

Is a 1985 Toyota pickup with a 4 banger a better truck than anything newer simply because it has 300,000+ miles on it, is simple as ----, and gets the job done but with none of the creature comforts of newer trucks?

Seems like the same logic. The 650L is a great bike, its just a great 20yr old bike you can buy brand new while some of us like to actually see technology advance. But then again surfers are not known for feeling the need to change from the old ways.

Maybe you should modify an old VW pickup for your business instead of whatever new fangled thing you use now I bet it would be superior in everyway just like a 650L :lol:

The NEW GUY is all over Hammer.... Jaynen... this is Hammer's monthly "I love my 650L thread"

for those of you that are wondering where Hammer got those quotes... He posted the question

on THUMPERTALK... where SINGLES are KING :D

IN... wait for it... The HONDAY XR650 forum! :D

and he got a lot of agreement... huh... go figure. :)

Craig; busted... ask the question at KTM talk and see the responses...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Maybe you should modify an old VW pickup for your business instead of whatever new fangled thing you use now I bet it would be superior in everyway just like a 650L :D

The NEW GUY is all over Hammer.... Jaynen... this is Hammer's monthly "I love my 650L thread"

for those of you that are wondering where Hammer got those quotes... He posted the question

on THUMPERTALK... where SINGLES are KING :D

IN... wait for it... The HONDAY XR650 forum! :D

and he got a lot of agreement... huh... go figure. :D

Craig; busted... ask the question at KTM talk and see the responses...

Hey, I looked at the bike, I liked it, I almost bought one. I wish I had 1 bike that did everything realy well. I realized the KTM.990 wouldn't, but my 650l already did and at less than half the cost. To me thats big. More money in the bank, more time in the water, at the beach,with my hot wife, and on my bike. :D

The coments I got, set my feelings in STONE and I :lol::D all day today.I do LOVE my 650L, SORRY, THANKS, LATER,

Craig. :):D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I had a talk today with another rider, we both had thought about the 990, but for the type of rideing we do the DRZ. KTM.640LC4 and XR650L are KING, we ride were reliability,light weight, easy maintanance is more important than comfort and bling, bling. We both agree the 650L and 640LC4 are dead even but we both question the reliability of the KTM. There are less things to break on the air cooled bike.

The first reply I got was dead on 100% correct. I couldn't agree more! :D

OK the KTM:

Well, it costs 2 times as much. It does have a lot more power but a usable difference? Not much unless you just want to blast zero to sixty or above legal limit on the frwy. Adjust the valves A LOT. Much more maintenance. Jump it a few times and see what my friend did with a cracked frame ( we just casual ride in the Cali desert). But you do have that ORANGE thing going for you. I can't say how it will look 20 years from now but you can imagine. I think a better comparison would be klr vs ktm heh

If your going SM then the KTM would prolly be better except for the breakdowns and the maintenance and the price and the weight

This picture is of Steve, 250 miles from the nearest KTM dealer :D wondering why his bike smelled like it was burning up. :D:)

Come ride with us some day and you will see what I mean.

Craig.

post-465-1218849595_thumb.jpg

Craig.

I will take you up on this. Lets get on our bikes-Hammerhead on his antique 650L an myself on the BMW650GS. We will ride up the coast to Canada-over to Montana through South Dakota and Colorado. From there to Moab Utah to Vegas and home. We will ride street, hwy, dirt, forests, rain, fog, rocks, , Mtn Altitude snow and Death Valley altitude sand. We will do this two up and loaded. When your wimpy air cooled bike overheats in Death Valley, or wont run at Pikes Peak, or wont keep up on the tarmac, wont handle the long hours in the saddle you will see what I mean. I have done this route, and the 650L wont make it(except in the back of a truck). By the way, have you checked your rear wheel bearings lately-they are not sealed(unless they have changed the design) and tend to fail when ridden in water!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Craig.

I will take you up on this. Lets get on our bikes-Hammerhead on his antique 650L an myself on the BMW650GS. We will ride up the coast to Canada-over to Montana through South Dakota and Colorado. From there to Moab Utah to Vegas and home. We will ride street, hwy, dirt, forests, rain, fog, rocks, , Mtn Altitude snow and Death Valley altitude sand. We will do this two up and loaded. When your wimpy air cooled bike overheats in Death Valley, or wont run at Pikes Peak, or wont keep up on the tarmac, wont handle the long hours in the saddle you will see what I mean. I have done this route, and the 650L wont make it(except in the back of a truck). By the way, have you checked your rear wheel bearings lately-they are not sealed(unless they have changed the design) and tend to fail when ridden in water!

[/quotte)

This thread is KTM. 990 vs.XR650l What are you smokeing!

I would love to, as long as we start at that easy hill in San Diego,that you crashed 3 times on, and that, XRBum and I had to help you drag your bike up. :D:lol::) I was in awe watching your BMW hit the ground, like that. :D

Craig.

For that ride I will blow your doors on a Honda ST.1300 ABS.

Call it the bike that perfectly fills the gap between Honda's flagship Gold Wing tourer and our stable of championship winning sportbikes. The ST1300 is designed for the long haul. With sleek, full-coverage bodywork, an adjustable windscreen and removable luggage, this smooth, agile, V-4-powered machine is also built to make getting to your destination fun

gine Type 1261cc liquid-cooled longitudinally mounted 90° V-4

Bore and Stroke 78mm x 66mm

Compression Ratio 10.8:1

Valve Train DOHC; four valves per cylinder

Induction PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit, four-36mm throttle bodies, 8-holes per injector

Ignition Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping and electronic advance

DRIVE TRAIN

Transmission Five-speed

Final Drive Shaft

Or this fine reliable Honda.

The Shadow Sabre is the perfect bike to get you to places you've only dreamed of cruising. From its 1099cc, 45-degree V-twin pumps serious power and the kind of torque everyone wants in a big cruiser. And when it comes to styling details, with its combination of brilliant chrome and scintillating paint schemes, the Sabre is flat-out stunning.

Craig.

Call it the bike that perfectly fills the gap between Honda's flagship Gold Wing tourer and our stable of championship winning sportbikes. The ST1300 is designed for the long haul. With sleek, full-coverage bodywork, an adjustable windscreen and removable luggage, this smooth, agile, V-4-powered machine is also built to make getting to your destination fun

Induction PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit, four-36mm throttle bodies, 8-holes per injector

Ignition Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping and electronic advance

DRIVE TRAIN

Transmission Five-speed

Final Drive Shaft

Okay, we will start in Yucca Valley and take the dirt through Big Bear-over to Lucerne OHV area then to Ridgcrest via the Husky Monument and take the Dirt through Goler Wash to Death Valley. From There through Titus Canyon and the Racetrack to Cerro Godo via Lone Pine(this is all dirt). Then Street to Bishop-------ooops-I dont think your Honda ST1300 would make that first section and your 650L wouldnt make the second part. Sober up Hammerhead! You should be a politician as you actually act like you believe what you say. I am going to get a pizza and talk to the pizza box as the box will listen with reason better than Hammerhead!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Craig.

DRIVE TRAIN

Transmission Five-speed

Final Drive Shaft

Okay, we will start in Yucca Valley and take the dirt through Big Bear-over to Lucerne OHV area then to Ridgcrest via the Husky Monument and take the Dirt through Goler Wash to Death Valley. From There through Titus Canyon and the Racetrack to Cerro Godo via Lone Pine(this is all dirt). Then Street to Bishop-------ooops-I dont think your Honda ST1300 would make that first section and your 650L wouldnt make the second part. Sober up Hammerhead! You should be a politician as you actually act like you believe what you say. I am going to get a pizza and talk to the pizza box as the box will listen with reason better than Hammerhead!

:D:D:D Why don't we start by doing an Iron man, than carry our bikes to the top of Big Bear. :lol::D:):D

Be easy, your going to hurt yourself. If you couldn't climb a little rock hill in the dark with 3 tries, good luck :D:D:D

Be easy, your going to hurt yourself. If you couldn't climb a little rock hill in the dark with 3 tries, good luck :D:):lol:

Okay Hammerhead-I called you out-are you going to show up and ride the offer I proposed, or sit and hide behind your keyboard? That's what I thought(keyboard)-Thank you.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Be easy, your going to hurt yourself. If you couldn't climb a little rock hill in the dark with 3 tries, good luck :D:):lol:

Okay Hammerhead-I called you out-are you going to show up and ride the offer I proposed, or sit and hide behind your keyboard? That's what I thought(keyboard)-Thank you.

Meet me in Carlsbad, tomarrow morning.

I believe the ride I proposed started in Yucca Valley. As a courtesy I will meet you at the I-15 Deer springs road Park-n-ride and drag your sorry but to Yucca Valley to make sure you don't get lost or break down. We will start the first dirt section from Pioneer Town. I am game! I might be a little warm for your air cooled bike in Death Valley on Day 2(sunday), but my water cooled fuel injected BMW will be just fine. What time do you want to meet????

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I believe the ride I proposed started in Yucca Valley. As a courtesy I will meet you at the I-15 Deer springs road Park-n-ride and drag your sorry but to Yucca Valley to make sure you don't get lost or break down. We will start the first dirt section from Pioneer Town. I am game! I might be a little warm for your air cooled bike in Death Valley on Day 2(sunday), but my water cooled fuel injected BMW will be just fine. What time do you want to meet????

I want to kill you quikly, on some technical trails. why waist alot of my valuable time. :D:D

Lets make a long loop at Ocatillo, and we can race. Lets invite everybody from SDAR. We can race till someone gives up. I'm not into the Cannonball Run. :lol::)

I want to kill you quikly, on some technical trails. why waist alot of my valuable time. :lol::lol:

Let me recap. You talked a-lot of the capabilities or your antique Model T 650L. I called you on this, and proposed a ride that you said you could do better and faster. I have excepted the challenge to prove other wise and have set a date and time that you have agreed upon. Now, you have now changed your mind. Like I said-just hide behind your keyboard. I am going to go and talk to my pizza box!! My bike, unlike yours has been outside of Carlsbad. This horse is beyond dead!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I want to kill you quikly, on some technical trails. why waist alot of my valuable time. :lol::lol:

Let me recap. You talked a-lot of the capabilities or your antique Model T 650L. I called you on this, and proposed a ride that you said you could do better and faster. I have excepted the challenge to prove other wise and have set a date and time that you have agreed upon. Now, you have now changed your mind. Like I said-just hide behind your keyboard. I am going to go and talk to my pizza box!! My bike, unlike yours has been outside of Carlsbad. This horse is beyond dead!

I dont have the time to ride around the world. But have NO FEAR. meet me in Carlsbad. Your bike overheated because it was jetted wrong, or ridden slowly ;) It is AIR COOLED, ride fast, no problems. :D

I dont have the time to ride around the world. But have NO FEAR. meet me in Carlsbad.

Thats what I thought. I also noticed that the picture of your bullet proof Honda 650L next to your sign on name appears to have blue smoke coming from the exhaust. You better get that fixed before your next BIG ride from Carlsbad all the way to the beach. I would recommend the Auto Club as a backup. I think my point is made as I am out of here!!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I dont have the time to ride around the world. But have NO FEAR. meet me in Carlsbad.

Thats what I thought. I also noticed that the picture of your bullet proof Honda 650L next to your sign on name appears to have blue smoke coming from the exhaust. You better get that fixed before your next BIG ride from Carlsbad all the way to the beach. I would recommend the Auto Club as a backup. I think my point is made as I am out of here!!

Thats a CR500 2 SMOKE :lol::lol: There is no reason to ride around the world when I have a 20 mile loop, 20 miles from my house, that I know you and your BMW cant ride. Ya What are you smokeing, lets race around the world. I will take you on, in Baja Lets race the 1000 coarse. I would love that we can each put 500.00$ in 1,000.00 to the winner ;) Mak it worth it.

Lets do it. I have a Company, and Comercial Insurance is expensive. Raceing on the street is Illegal and stupid.

Craig. Thats what I thought.