Sign in to follow this  
graydog

Foolishness....

Yesterday I broke just about all the rules for prudent riding and every lesson of the search and rescue training I have gained....while I knew my bike was in good shape and I had prepared for the ride I rode alone, took a bike too big for a small trail, rode in heat that exceeded even what I thought was ample water and simply underestimated that a 65 year old body in good shape is not what it used to be.

It was one of those days when I justed wanted to ride and doing the Corral Canyon loop on the KLR650 seemed short of the mark. I have done Wrangler before and didn't see why I couldn't do it again. The north half went well with my hitting up/down berms and drop offs without a hitch. At the Bobcat Meadow intersection I considered calling it a day but decided the south run would make it a full afternoon, especially since family obligations will keep me from riding for a few weeks. About half way thru at a climb with a rock maze I dumped the KLR and used up a lot of energy and water getting upright again....down a drop with more rocks/soft dirt a bit later I slipped sideways and caught a peg on a good sized rock and dumped her again. This time the recovery was more involved and I used up more energy and water getting going...or tried to. I began to realize I was really tired and hot...full ride gear will do that. I couldn't right the KLR and just sunk into exhaustion about a mile or so from the intersection with the loop trail. About this time I had to really re-consider my belief in angels when to young, strong and refreshed mountain bikers came down the trail and got me going again....but not for long. Having gone thru my two litres of water, which should have been plenty for a three mile run, I was slowly losing coordination. Down again....they elected to shadow me until the loop and they got me up....only to drop it again on a loose uphill where I went off the trail and was lucky to catch on the lip rather than slidding a long ways down....at that point one of the bikers who also rides moto off-road offered to ride the KLR to the loop with me riding his MTB....long story short they got me out and rode off letting me rest. I carefully rode to Four Corners and home.

I relate this to remind/encourage others not to repeat what I did no matter how tempting the option, how sure you are and how simple the ride may seem. I got very, very lucky and will not do that again....I still want to ride single track, but it will be with a smaller and lighter bike....it will always be with someone else and I will look at the challenge with updated eyes.....if getting older is learning and honoring your limits I found mine and recommend others do so with less risk. Pushing the envelope has its risks and thrills, teasing fate is less wise. Licking my wounds and giving a whole lot of thanks....graydog

Yesterday I broke just about all the rules for prudent riding and every lesson of the search and rescue training I have gained....while I knew my bike was in good shape and I had prepared for the ride I rode alone, took a bike too big for a small trail, rode in heat that exceeded even what I thought was ample water and simply underestimated that a 65 year old body in good shape is not what it used to be.

It was one of those days when I justed wanted to ride and doing the Corral Canyon loop on the KLR650 seemed short of the mark. I have done Wrangler before and didn't see why I couldn't do it again. The north half went well with my hitting up/down berms and drop offs without a hitch. At the Bobcat Meadow intersection I considered calling it a day but decided the south run would make it a full afternoon, especially since family obligations will keep me from riding for a few weeks. About half way thru at a climb with a rock maze I dumped the KLR and used up a lot of energy and water getting upright again....down a drop with more rocks/soft dirt a bit later I slipped sideways and caught a peg on a good sized rock and dumped her again. This time the recovery was more involved and I used up more energy and water getting going...or tried to. I began to realize I was really tired and hot...full ride gear will do that. I couldn't right the KLR and just sunk into exhaustion about a mile or so from the intersection with the loop trail. About this time I had to really re-consider my belief in angels when to young, strong and refreshed mountain bikers came down the trail and got me going again....but not for long. Having gone thru my two litres of water, which should have been plenty for a three mile run, I was slowly losing coordination. Down again....they elected to shadow me until the loop and they got me up....only to drop it again on a loose uphill where I went off the trail and was lucky to catch on the lip rather than slidding a long ways down....at that point one of the bikers who also rides moto off-road offered to ride the KLR to the loop with me riding his MTB....long story short they got me out and rode off letting me rest. I carefully rode to Four Corners and home.

I relate this to remind/encourage others not to repeat what I did no matter how tempting the option, how sure you are and how simple the ride may seem. I got very, very lucky and will not do that again....I still want to ride single track, but it will be with a smaller and lighter bike....it will always be with someone else and I will look at the challenge with updated eyes.....if getting older is learning and honoring your limits I found mine and recommend others do so with less risk. Pushing the envelope has its risks and thrills, teasing fate is less wise. Licking my wounds and giving a whole lot of thanks....graydog

Wow glad to hear you made it out alright and without injury. It's hard to be so tempted to just want to ride and then we get this reminders of how fragile we really are.

HHMMmmmmm, sounds familular.

Glad you are OK graydog!

Let's all ride our own ride, and ride with friends always! :ph34r:

John- the difference in both cases was the other people there to help out...

In phantom, I would not have gone that far by myself, but I was confident in my skill, and the group dynamic...and the fact woody could be in trouble...if my bike was in the ditch and I was alone, I wouldve started hiking immediately...

Graydog knew the trail, but $#!+ happens...

Raise a glass to our band of brothers (I'm drinking an Amerikan Beer) motors or not...glad to hear you're all right Carl

Glad to hear you are okay. This story illustrates one of the reasons that I joined SDAR. I had some bad situations and an injury or two while out by myself, plus I like to ride with other people most of the time. When I ride alone, I always make sure it's on trails that won't be a problem. (Okay, I like to ride trails that won't be a problem when I am with other people, too....)

Thanks all....looking back on the day I remain very thankful to the two guys who rescued me and as I was mountain biking in the Lagunas with buddies this morning I just had to shake my head at how dumb the whole event was given my life experiences and knowing better...OK, the other guys did share similar stupidities collectively committed. I guess if we had everything lined up it wouldn't satisfy our adventure needs. The big insight for me is that I just don't do heat at this age like my mind remembers I used to...lessons learned, now back to our regularly scheduled passion for riding...with others, of course. carl

The big insight for me is that I just don't do heat at this age like my mind remembers I used to...lessons learned, now back to our regularly scheduled passion for riding...with others, of course. carl

I know what you mean. It seems like I could really take summer heat well up till about last year and then it was pretty much all over for me. I still ride in the summer, but not nearly as much and I tend to take it pretty easy, and I usually carry a lot more water and energy gels with me than I used to.