paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Just a tip: we had a rider in the group this weekend who used a cheap system- I think it was a motocom? that sounded terrible. Apparently the reception and audio were fine, but the transmission was really over-modulated and LOUD. You could see when he transmitted at a stop- other riders were grabbing their cables to pull the plugs. Very garbled and not anything you'd want to listen to for any period of time from a riding buddy.

I'm all for cheaper solutions to the BD kit but that one was not it.

Pryme, motocom, midland, autocom, starcom, scala...etc (as well as bluetooth designs) are all helmet kits that have a problem with wind, and exhaust note or ambient noise (even if VOX is not used). Only way around it, is a full-face street helmet AND bike windscreen. wink.gif

There's a reason the high-end units (expensive) do not have this problem, as it's all in the mic. Also, the connectors (Nexus) are more durable... and it too brings up the cost.

The "cheap" units are good for Dad, and Son... as they ride around camp, at SLOW speeds. But for when the fast group goes out for a ride... the high-end costly units need to be used, or as mentioned... you'll see guys pulling their helmet connector apart... and you might be told to listen, and not speak!! (LoL)

wink.gif

.......................Does anyone have the programming software available for the 270R?

Yes sir!

(I'm sure you got it handled already, but yes... I have software and cables to program several radio brands/models.)

It's also found here if you'd like to purchase it yourself; http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/

... or for the FT-270 specifically (also works with VX-170); http://www.rtsystems...upage=ADMSFT270

Let me know if you ever need any assistance, I'm happy to help

................... and I just remembered a question I had. The headset I bought has a port that I can plug an Ipod in, but the RacerX guy said the music plays even when receiving, is there a way to change that? Or maybe an inline switch on the Ipod wire so I can turn the sound off manually?

I know this is an old post...

But for those who listen to music while riding, and want a solution so they can add a radio system... and have the music mute, when receiving... I've got that solution!

There is a small box, that can be used for this. The box is a "BOOSTAROO" from radio shack.... it's being used by two of my friends, and it works great.

... it does add more wires to your system (and you do need 2 more Y splitters; 1 male, 2 female 3.5 jack), and it's best to keep them all zip tied and neat in a camelback pocket, or Ogio Vest Pocket (as we do) to eliminate trouble on the trail.

I got my radio from HRO, but got my headset and cords from Rugged Radios. Found it to be a good kit and believe they either do or used to supply Baja Designs. Not saying anything bad about BD. They seem to rock with everything they do. Just offering another alternative. And it might be the same stuff.

Helmet kit $57

Harness $50

PTT $38

Jumper with single connection (vice BD two) $25

Got all of this for a total of $190 delivered to my house, tax and shipping included.

Sorry to bump a year-old 20 page thread, but I have quick question for those of you "in-the-know".

Quoted from FN earlier in the thread

The current kit I recommend is:

Yaesu VX170 or the NEW! VX270r [edited to correct foolish error]

Yaesu CT91 cable

The Baja Designs 65-0001 radio kit without radio.

The Baja Designs Yaesu adapter cable.

Optional: The Smiley 5/8 wave Antenna

That's about all you need. Racer-X can also put a similar kit together for you, but their warranty is pathetic. Baja Designs has always been real good about replacing parts that have failed (and they do, sometimes) and have constantly updated their stuff for reliability. The latest helmet kit I've seen even has a little cable for an iPod- you may wish to ask them about that

Is this still the current recommendation? Although I am not riding, I'd like to have a radio set-up before desert dash. Yes, I plan to get the required licensing as well :coolio:

I'm glad this topic has been brought up again... driss was asking for some details, and the best I could offer him was: I bought what paul told me to buy

that being said; diego at baja designs was very helpful when I told him which pieces I had, and what I wanted to do... he was helpful again 3 days later, when I had to replace the cord that came unattached from the radio, and got stuck in my rear wheel... $70 gone within an hour :angry2: secure your stuff

Thanks all for the input. Johnny, I'll PM you when I get my radio so we can set up a day to load the software. Good info on the Boostaroo too, as I've had one laying around the house for a couple of years not being used.

If you go and buy the radio, I'd be happy to remove the mars/cap and add about 80 channels if you'd like. Those channels are "race" channels that include freqs for racers like McMillan, RGordon, Herbst, and key freqs like Mag7, BajaPits, Weatherman.... if your asking "why would I need those?". You really don't, but if you ever go to Baja for a race (or to Primm, or Laughlin), you get to listen in on the action using your radio as a scanner.

If all you're going to do is listen, no need to modify your radio - the mod only allows you to transmit on those frequencies (It will recieve everything without modding). Keep your radio legal and don't mess with this. It only opens you up to accidentally transmitting on a frequency you shouldn't (firefighting/police/etc).

If all you're going to do is listen, no need to modify your radio - the mod only allows you to transmit on those frequencies (It will recieve everything without modding). Keep your radio legal and don't mess with this. It only opens you up to accidentally transmitting on a frequency you shouldn't (firefighting/police/etc).

Good point about the "listening". However, on occasion there is the need to transmit on those frequencies... so why not open it up (other than it being against the law)?! coolio.gif ... even your local ham radio store will remove the mars/cap from a 2M radio if you ask nicely. That being said; If someone transmits on a freq they shouldn't be TX'ing on... then maybe "that person" shouldn't own a radio in the first place?! rolleyes.gif

Thanks all for the input. Johnny, I'll PM you when I get my radio so we can set up a day to load the software. Good info on the Boostaroo too, as I've had one laying around the house for a couple of years not being used.

10-4!

I bring mine along sailing as a backup for the main marine unit. You can map the marine channels. You can alos use frequencies slightly higher than the 2m band that are less likely to interfere with the ham guys.

No worries... I'm not trying to soapbox, and I agree, there ARE valid (albeit illegal) reasons to open up a radio - but if all you're wanting to do is listen, no need to do that. Opening a radio only allows you to transmit on all frequencies it receives.

One good reason (still illegal to modify a ham radio) is to access the "DOT"/MURS frequencies - frequencies in the 2 meter band that require no license to operate.

DOT Frequencies Link

MURS Frequencies Link

I'm pretty sure the RED, PURPLE, BLUE, and GREEN frequencies are all in the range of an opened VX-170.

One good reason (still illegal to modify a ham radio) is to access the "DOT"/MURS frequencies - frequencies in the 2 meter band that require no license to operate.

MURS Frequencies Link

I'm pretty sure the RED, PURPLE, BLUE, and GREEN frequencies are all in the range of an opened VX-170.

The main station I use and "tuned" for is 151.940...and yes the VX-170( (mod'd) works just fine on it. :D

.............You can alos use frequencies slightly higher than the 2m band that are less likely to interfere with the ham guys.

Besides my initial reasoning, which is mainly due to "race" channels being in the 150.XXX to 159.XXX ranges.... my second reason, is just for that as you listed. I run right in the middle (154.XXX) on desert rides and never do I interfere with anything... but an occasional fast-food drive-thru!! ph34r.gif

I know you guys are somewhat tongue-in-cheek with those responses. But I would NOT use a random frequencey "just because it's outside the ham bands". Nor would I use a random frequency even if it's WITHIN the ham band (and I have a license). While 154.570 (blue dot) and 145.600 (green dot) are both open frequencies, that doesn't mean that frequencies between those two are open. You might have a drivethrough :lol: or even a law enforcement frequency sandwiched in there - or you might cause interference on alarm systems, etc.

That's why people shoud get their licences and operate within the rules. These radios have the ability to do stuff you're not supposed to do, unlike a FRS radio where you "set it to channel 3 and jib-jab away".

I'm actually thinking about modifying my master VX-170 file to include these DOT frequencies. While still not legal, it's probably better than stepping on the ham bands with unlicensed users like people have been all along. (along with not stating callsigns every 10 minutes, etc)

I know you guys are somewhat tongue-in-cheek with those responses. But I would NOT use a random frequencey "just because it's outside the ham bands". Nor would I use a random frequency even if it's WITHIN the ham band (and I have a license). While 154.570 (blue dot) and 145.600 (green dot) are both open frequencies, that doesn't mean that frequencies between those two are open. You might have a drivethrough :lol: or even a law enforcement frequency sandwiched in there - or you might cause interference on alarm systems, etc.

That's why people shoud get their licences and operate within the rules. These radios have the ability to do stuff you're not supposed to do, unlike a FRS radio where you "set it to channel 3 and jib-jab away".

I'm actually thinking about modifying my master VX-170 file to include these DOT frequencies. While still not legal, it's probably better than stepping on the ham bands with unlicensed users like people have been all along. (along with not stating callsigns every 10 minutes, etc)

You are correct, I'm tongue-in-cheek in most of my responses... but with a true hint of seriousness in ALL my posts. blush.gif *chuckling*

... I think the FEW of those using 2M radios outside of the bands allocated, aren't going to do too much damage. But, being 2M radios are becoming more and more popular, there will be a day (license or not) that some users will be "in trouble" for their actions. Not saying it's "OKAY" by any means... and I'm not advocating it. I just don't think a "license" alone is going to solve the issue (but it will help and educate). Even if I have a license, and use it ON the proper bands... I'm sure it's still going to be similar, just then I won't have a reason to play ignorant if I step on someone I shouldn't be. ph34r.gif

... This isn't the forum to debate what's right and wrong. But I hear your point loud and clear, as I'm sure others do as well.

No worries... I'm not trying to soapbox,

No worrying, I agree with you. I wish more members were licensed so we could increase the use of repeaters for an extra safety margin. Your points are both fair and correct.

BTW: If one mods a radio, one cannot "clone" to an unmodded radio. Or vice versa.

BTW: If one mods a radio, one cannot "clone" to an unmodded radio. Or vice versa.

Then I say mod away :)

In the 150 - 155mhz band you are not in much danger of stepping on a law enforcement freq. Almost all of the agencies have moved to uhf trunking. Also if you're running an HT with a rubber duck and moving the range is pretty limited so there's not much chance of seriously stepping on somebody's toes continuously. Frankly if you're illegally in the ham band you probably have more of a chance of being beaten to a pulp by a disgruntled ham operator than the fcc. BTW - I am licensed.

In the 150 - 155mhz band you are not in much danger of stepping on a law enforcement freq. Almost all of the agencies have moved to uhf trunking. Also if you're running an HT with a rubber duck and moving the range is pretty limited so there's not much chance of seriously stepping on somebody's toes continuously. Frankly if you're illegally in the ham band you probably have more of a chance of being beaten to a pulp by a disgruntled ham operator than the fcc. BTW - I am licensed.

True, most of the cops have. But I've still heard plenty of firefighting stuff in the VHF range. Plus, there are other agencies that haven't spent the money to go to a trunked system.

San Diego Scanner Frequencies Link

All I'm saying is take a few minutes to do some research on the interweb and use a legitimate frequency. Don't just randomly plug in a number and start jabbering away. I agree, the chance of getting caught is slim, but interfering with someone else's operations is just being rude.

I still think the best way for SDAR users to go is to move to the DOT frequencies since so many won't get licences. I didn't realize how many lazy people would just buy the radios and not spend $5 and take an hour on a Saturday to get legal. Makes me wonder how many riders don't have MC endorsements on their driver's licences. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder how many riders don't have MC endorsements on their driver's licences. :rolleyes:

Hey I've got one of those! To be honest I hate tests, Id much rather take a class and learn something not just study a bunch of questions so I can pass a test. Knowing that answers doesn't mean I know the material.

Ive sat down a couple times and read up for the test but there is so much I don't understand or that I questions about...

Any suggestions for classes?

True, most of the cops have. But I've still heard plenty of firefighting stuff in the VHF range. Plus, there are other agencies that haven't spent the money to go to a trunked system.

San Diego Scanner Frequencies Link

All I'm saying is take a few minutes to do some research on the interweb and use a legitimate frequency. Don't just randomly plug in a number and start jabbering away. I agree, the chance of getting caught is slim, but interfering with someone else's operations is just being rude.

I still think the best way for SDAR users to go is to move to the DOT frequencies since so many won't get licences. I didn't realize how many lazy people would just buy the radios and not spend $5 and take an hour on a Saturday to get legal. Makes me wonder how many riders don't have MC endorsements on their driver's licences. :rolleyes:

Good points. In the desert there's really not much risk of a problem but I can see if you use it here in the city it might be. I think you're suggestion to stick to the DOT freq's is a good one. Also the MURS frequencies are pretty low risk.

Makes me wonder how many riders don't have MC endorsements on their driver's licences. :rolleyes:

Hey I've got one of those! To be honest I hate tests, Id much rather take a class and learn something not just study a bunch of questions so I can pass a test. Knowing that answers doesn't mean I know the material.

Ive sat down a couple times and read up for the test but there is so much I don't understand or that I questions about...

Any suggestions for classes?

The test is pretty easy and it will open up the use of repeaters to you which could be a handy thing in an emergency situation. I try to program local repeaters into my radio whenever I go to a new area just in case I need one. Here's more info on getting a license and local classes.

http://www.arprsd.org/class_test.htm

http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license

The test is pretty easy and it will open up the use of repeaters to you which could be a handy thing in an emergency situation. I try to program local repeaters into my radio whenever I go to a new area just in case I need one. Here's more info on getting a license and local classes.

Not soapboxing (and you might have been referring to transmissions outside the ham band already), but the license opens up more than just the repeaters. You are required to have a license to transmit simplex on any of the ham bands (146.505 - the frequency most of us use, requires a license even though we're not using repeaters). I just wanted to clarify that for anyone reading thinking "Oh, I'm not using a repeater, so I don't need a license". I have been "called out" by hams on rides in the past. Most of the time it was a simple "hey guys, make sure you throw in a callsign once in a while", but nonetheless...

I'm going to work on a new frequency set on my computer to add the DOT/MURS frequencies to the programming. That way we're MORE legal (I say more, because technically you're not supposed to use a ham radio on DOT/MURS, but the likeliehood of any enforcement is much lower that way than illegal transmissions in the ham band).

I'm glad this topic has been brought up again... driss was asking for some details, and the best I could offer him was: I bought what paul told me to buy

that being said; diego at baja designs was very helpful when I told him which pieces I had, and what I wanted to do... he was helpful again 3 days later, when I had to replace the cord that came unattached from the radio, and got stuck in my rear wheel... $70 gone within an hour :angry2: secure your stuff

Thank you BIKESLUT for all the information and help you have giving me but to add my taught to this thread this is what I ended up doing after all the great informations that I gathered from everyone.

I didn't need or use the Baja design helmet kit for my set up and no PTT switch neither,I am set up completely wireless and with ivox there is no need for a PTT switch. I have no cables of any kind from helmet to radio or radio to handle bar.

I am using my Scala G4 bluetooth ear-piece with this new radio that is 1/3 the size of the one bikeslut recommended which by the way has been discontinued, the new version of it is called FT-270R but that is also ancient in technology.

I bought the new YAESU VX-8DR with an extra bluetooth module and an extra GPS module instead of buying the $250,00 Baja helmet and ptt switch. I am using the Scala G4 that I already own one set that I use on My BMW bike, The whole thing works wirelessely and with IVOX capability there is no nees for PTT switch.

Now what I need to try and I was told it will work based on the way I want to go is hook up everything thru the Garmin Zumo 550 once I get the bracket fot the KLX250S and what I will have is GPS, radio, music, cell phone and communication either with the radio or bluetooth with the passenger. There is no wires or cable replacement down the road this way. the cost out my pocket was almost the same, I spend $500.00 versus $400.00 the way bikeslut told me to do it.

By the way the guys at the Ham radio store in kearny mesa as knowledgeable as they are were not the one to suggest this setup because they said the FT-270R works good with the $70.00 helmet/PTT switch they sell but that is not what everyone said on this thread or others like ADV rider. Everyone said the only way you can have solid communication is by using the Baja design because all the others don't a have good noise canceling micro if they have it and all the $70 to $100 ones don't even have the noise canceling.

Now I am listening to everyone that wants to comment on this set up and I am working on getting licensed as I agree with some of you that suggest that we all should get licensed. There is only one way to do things right, lets all make it a resolution for 2011 to get licensed.

Driss

Is 146.505 still the simplex frequency being used on rides?

Is 146.505 still the simplex frequency being used on rides?

Affirmative.

Roger.

Yes.

Uh-huh.

Werd.