Sign in to follow this  
Levvy

Picking up my first DS soon - secondary expenses?

Hello everyone, I've been a street rider for 7 years or so and I plan on getting my first taste of the dirt in a few months. I already know what bike I'm going to get (KLR) but I'm wondering what other expenses I should plan for. None of my street touring gear is really suitable for off-roading/adv. touring, so new boots, gloves, jacket, etc are a given. What else should I put aside $$ for? How often are you guys replacing your tires? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Levvy Posted on Sep 13 2006, 04:57 PM   Hello everyone, I've been a street rider for 7 years or so and I plan on getting my first taste of the dirt in a few months. I already know what bike I'm going to get (KLR) but I'm wondering what other expenses I should plan for. None of my street touring gear is really suitable for off-roading/adv. touring, so new boots, gloves, jacket, etc are a given. What else should I put aside $$ for? How often are you guys replacing your tires? Anything else I'm not thinking of? 

There are so many things to think about. Gear==Some of us like to have spare parts with us just in case, Hydropacks {WATER+WATER} are a must(I feel 3lts. min. I use "Camelbak") spare tube and tools to fix the flat, survival gear, communication of some sort(SAT phone, cell, two way, just in case).Every ride I rethink my supplies. The duration of the ride always changes, be perpaired!!Get your Dual Sport and ride with some of us. It will help you see what you may need for gear.Welcome Aboard! :ph34r:

two way radios?! Whatever for??? .........oh............ that little issue out in the desert, huh?.... yeah.......... I'm going to have to ask you to all bring two way radios......... yeah........ that would be great............

Levvy Posted on Sep 13 2006, 04:57 PM   Hello everyone, I've been a street rider for 7 years or so and I plan on getting my first taste of the dirt in a few months. I already know what bike I'm going to get (KLR) but I'm wondering what other expenses I should plan for. None of my street touring gear is really suitable for off-roading/adv. touring, so new boots, gloves, jacket, etc are a given. What else should I put aside $$ for? How often are you guys replacing your tires? Anything else I'm not thinking of? 

There are so many things to think about. Gear==Some of us like to have spare parts with us just in case, Hydropacks {WATER+WATER} are a must(I feel 3lts. min. I use "Camelbak") spare tube and tools to fix the flat, survival gear, communication of some sort(SAT phone, cell, two way, just in case).Every ride I rethink my supplies. The duration of the ride always changes, be perpaired!!Get your Dual Sport and ride with some of us. It will help you see what you may need for gear.Welcome Aboard! :ph34r:
Definitly get a source to carry water. Try to avoid the "Camelbak" brand, as they are heavy into endorsing the "Sierra Club" and there view. There are lots of other brands that are similiar/Kev