Sign in to follow this  
vistacarider

Big Bear water crossings

09/02/06 Ride.

I thought I better post my pics from last weeks ride since we have a rider down. I was up in Big Bear again last week while the rest of you were out dodging trucks :P ...well I had to dodge a few myself and almost got hit by a quad comming around a blind corner. :ph34r:

My buddy wanted to do some water crossing after seeing the pictures of my wife and I riding up in Big Bear. I took him to where my wife and I crossed and he had no problems. Then we decided to go down around the Lake Arrowhead area and cross Devils Hole. I had never been there before. I only knew of the place because a guy in a jeep marked up my map one day with all the spots I should ride.

It was hard to find the entrance trail it was all rocks and sand.

Posted Image

The water level was low because it is so late in the year, I saw video of people crossing in June and they had to tape up there air boxes.

Posted Image

Check out how clear the water is.

Posted Image

My buddy wanted to go first.

Posted Image

Who put those rocks under the water :P

Posted Image

Well that was the end of that.

Posted Image

We got the bike out of the water and it would not start. I rode my bike across so I could take some time to look at his bike. He took video of me going across. I wish I knew the camera had video I would have took video of him going across...

Here is the video of me crossing:

Water Crossing Video

After that I worked on the bike for two hours, changed the spark plug, dried out the air box, put the front wheel in the air and drained the water out of the exhaust. I finally got the bike kick started but any throttle and the bike would choke and die.

By this time it was 7:30 and we had not seen anybody for a while, when some people walked up on us. They said they almost stepped on a rattlesnake. I was tired of working on the bike so I went to go see it.

Posted Image

That is the 4th rattlesnake I saw in two weeks up there.

Lucky for us the people that almost stepped on the snake had a 4 wheel drive truck down the trail and some rope. It took three of us to push and pull the bike back through the stream and through the rocky trail.

We finally got back to our truck at 10 P.M. The next day I cleaned out the carb, adjusted the fuel screw and replaced the inline fuel filter. The bike rides better than it ever has.

Vistacarider, this is what I call a real water crossing!! :D:D:D

Posted Image

I finally made it up to Big Bear with my family. Uploaded my r.v. and headed up to Big Bear last Friday. We had lots of fun! We drove the jeep up some trails like Butler's Peak Outlook, etc....

Posted Image

We went to Crab Flats Camp and did some riding all the way to the night (I needed green sticker for the kawi). There's lots of areas to explore. I'm looking forward to more trips, but not sure I'll pull my rv with my little liberty any more up on I 330, I had to stop during the way up as I over heated my transmission :D

Posted Image

Vistacarider, this is what I call a real water crossing!!

Well, you did manage to stay dry which is more than I can say for my buddy and I.

I had a truck lined up for last weekend but could not get my bike running :D

I finally fixed it Saturday evening and ended up doing a night run at McCaine valley from 6 PM - 9 PM. Since I had to pick my buddy up from the airport at 11 PM.

Glad to hear you had a fun time... I will be up there riding Saturday :D