Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerin Hammon

Carlsbad to Scorpion Bay-NO CHASE TRUCK surf trip

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I want to get back to my roots and explore Baja on a self contained bike with my surfboard.

3 riders so far, I want to spend a week surfing, rideing and camping. I plan to depart in about 10 months.

post-465-1215400147_thumb.jpg

Surf_bike_Steve_Mkellar.bmp

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Two thirds of the way down Baja is one of the most talked about surf destinations on the peninsula. On the outskirts of the sleepy fishing village of San Juanico lies the legendary Scorpion Bay. It takes the better part of two days to get here, so plan your travel dates and route accordingly. The most direct route is taking the north road in where Highway 1 meets San Ignacio, but depending on the road conditions the east road or the south road might be a better option. All three roads are dirt so a truck or SUV with four wheel drive is recommended. It is advisable to ask about current road conditions on BajaNomad.com, as a little insight could save you a lot of time.

Scorpion Bay has definitely changed over the years. Heaps of new development has changed the once desolate points into a bustling surf camp, complete with a restaurant, bar and restrooms right on the water. What hasn’t changed is surf itself: Three perfect point breaks in a row that fire off right handers on a big south swell. During a big south, Scorpion Bay is everything you could ask for….minute long rides, warm water, prevailing offshore winds and plenty of fresh fish to eat after your marathon sessions. Perhaps the hardest thing about Scorpion Bay is staying occupied when the surf is small, because it is hot, desolate and dusty with not much else to do unless you have a camper with a TV and DVD player. Bring a longboard for the smaller days to keep busy. If you are feeling adventurous when the points are not on you can hike north and find some reefs that will pick up more of a west swell, although they tend to blow out by the late morning hours due to the prevailing north winds.

Sounds like a pretty cool adventure!!!

I'm envious!

It's always cool when your ride is for more than just riding...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Epic series of 6 different righthand pointbreaks, some of which connect on the right swell making for a very long ride.

The 1st 3 points are the most accessable, with #3 being the best. The others are harder to access, and are less crowded, but still very good.

Minimum 100-300 mile drive over rugged dirt roads, so bring plenty of your own supplies if you make the 800+ mile drive from California.

Requires a big S-SW swell to show - but a giant swell from the N or NW can sneek in also. Usually best in the summer, but can get crowded also.

Very epic when it's on, it has it's magic days and magic crowded days too.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Located just a few kilometers north of Ensenada, San Miguel is an amazing right hand point break. When it is firing, San Miguel is a fast, lined up, hollow wave that serves up tube rides and long perfect walls for aggressive shortboard surfing. This is without a doubt one of the best righthanders on the West coast. Because of easy access and visibility from the toll road, San Miguel is often crowded and has some heavy locals that are not the most welcoming bunch. Be respectful when you are out there. The bottom is rocky and full of urchins, so booties are definitely recommended. At low tide the rock walk can get really painful if you just have bare feet. You can camp on the beach for a fee or rent a trailer just up the beach. Be wary of leaving your gear in the open if you choose to camp. Surfboard and wetsuit theft has been a problem in this area for

Guest Hammerin Hammon

78 kilometers south of Ensenada on Highway 1 is the turnoff for the sleepy fishing village of Erindera. A fairly well maintained paved road takes you the remaining 26 kilometers into town. The main road takes you right to the water, and you can head north to the point from there. Once you get to the other side of the point there are a variety of reef and beach breaks until you get to Punta Cabra. This area is open to everything from a southwest to a northwest swell and is pretty consistent. Good for intermediate surfers and up.

78 kilometers south of Ensenada on Highway 1 is the turnoff for the sleepy fishing village of Erindera. A fairly well maintained paved road takes you the remaining 26 kilometers into town. The main road takes you right to the water, and you can head north to the point from there. Once you get to the other side of the point there are a variety of reef and beach breaks until you get to Punta Cabra. This area is open to everything from a southwest to a northwest swell and is pretty consistent. Good for intermediate surfers and up.

I surfed Erindera last year when it was 6 foot + and that wave was definitely hollow..

Is hammer copy and pasting or does his grammer, spelling and puncuation markedly improve when he talks about surfing? <_<

Sounds like a great trip, wish I was that into surfing or just in to surfing to begin with. Enjoy.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Seven Sisters

Welcome to the mexbound.com guide to Baja surfing Seven Sisters. Thanks to our San Diego roots, we’re able to provide you with firsthand, detailed information on Surfing in Baja. Before you leave on your next adventure south of the border, be sure to purchase Mexican Auto Insurance from mexbound.com, the surfer’s choice. Remember, mexbound.com is "the first choice for the smart traveler."

The famous "Seven Sisters," area of Baja has probably some of the best surf you will find anywhere. The famous "Seven Sisters," which is a series of right point breaks that stretch from Punta Cono all the way to Punta Rosarito, "The Wall." The winter winds create an upwelling in the water, making these perfect points freezing, the water temperature is sometimes as much as 10 degrees colder than San Diego. At famous "Seven Sisters," It is not rare to see guys in 4mm suits, with booties; you may even see guys in hoods.

Punta Cono -Right point break that breaks best on Winter West swells.

Punta Maria - Right rock reef point. Needs a strong West or Northwest.

Punta Lobos - Really good right point reef break. Needs a West or Northwest swell.

Punta Negra - Good right point reef break. Needs a West or Northwest swell.

Punta Rocosa - Right rock reef point. Needs a strong West or Northwest.

Punta Santa Rosalillita - Perfect right point break. Best on a big West. To get completely away from the crowds head to Bahi Santa Rosalillita, which begins after the point. Here you will find a bunch of reefs with no one in site.

Punta Rosarito - The Wall is located 18 miles south of Punta Santa Rosalillita. It is a consistent right point break that takes most swells, but it breaks best on a West and Northwest. The Wall is Legendary for its power and size.

Surfing Seven Sisters

The famous "Seven Sisters," 400 miles down Mexico Highway 1. To get to these breaks it is best to go to Punta Santa Rosalillita and head either North or South. The roads to the beach are decent, but some breaks require 4-wheel drives to get to. Most of these breaks offer camping on the beach.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Sounds like a pretty cool adventure!!!

I'm envious!

It's always cool when your ride is for more than just riding...

You have a great bike for this trip.

We will also be drinking, playing cards, fishing, snorkling, spearing fish to eat with a Hawaiin sling, cooking and could use a somone to take photo's and navagate.

Craig. :good: You also have ten months to learn how to surf! ;)

Is hammer copy and pasting or does his grammer, spelling and puncuation markedly improve when he talks about surfing? :good:

Sounds like a great trip, wish I was that into surfing or just in to surfing to begin with. Enjoy.

hit the nail on the head... he's a plagiarist

sounds like a great trip, but I must admit... I would rather take the truck; extra boards, and some creature comforts... including a bike in the back... call me a wimp;

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Is hammer copy and pasting or does his grammer, spelling and puncuation markedly improve when he talks about surfing? :D

hit the nail on the head... he's a plagiarist

sounds like a great trip, but I must admit... I would rather take the truck; extra boards, and some creature comforts... including a bike in the back... call me a wimp;

Been their done that. :D

Maybe I should find someone to ride my bike and surf for me,,, NOT!

I can walk across the street and surf every day. B) Lets think outside the box guys. ;)

I keep sugesting a forum SDAR HARDCORE! :good:

I Was at the beach this morning surfing, and was told that one of my friends, who is a Carlsbad building inspector and surfer, hasn't been at the beach lately because he and his wife are on a long hike (From the Mexican boarder to Canada.)

Now that makes my little surf trip look like a day at the BEACH in comparison.

I have friends who stay on the beach surfing and living off the land for months at a time. A week is nothing when you are doing what you love. B) Scorpion Bay

Hammer. :D

Was at the beach this morning surfing and was told that one of my friends who is a Carlsbad building inspector and surfer hasn't been at the beach lately because he and his wife are on a long hike (From the Mexican boarder to Canada.)

My guess is they started right here:

campo04.jpg

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Was at the beach this morning surfing and was told that one of my friends who is a Carlsbad building inspector and surfer hasn't been at the beach lately because he and his wife are on a long hike (From the Mexican boarder to Canada.)

My guess is they started right here:

campo04.jpg

Maybe my ride should also start there. It would make for a good picture (bikes with surfboards though) :good:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

My second costomer of the day used to race in Baja. He now helps team Honda at the races held south of the boarder.

He told me all about Scorpion bay.

It is a surfers paradise (he said) you will have the best time. The wave is incredably long. I have never seen such clean TUBES in my life. I will help you with the best route to ride with your board, their is a resturant now and a coffe shop on the beach with free internet acces. Their are great rides you can do within ten miles of Scorpion Bay. I asked, (can they be done on a KTM 950, He said only if the guy is a realy good rider, then he told me you will love them on your XR 650 L. :good:

How does the bike do at speed with the board? What is the fastest you can go safely? How'd you rig it up, or is it made for a motorcycle?

Sorry for the rapid fire questions...

My second costomer of the day used to race in Baja. He now helps team Honda at the races held south of the boarder.

It is a surfers paradise (he said) you will have the best time. The wave is incredably long. I have never seen such clean TUBES in my life. I will help you with the best route to ride with your board, their is a resturant now and a coffe shop on the beach with free internet acces. Their are great rides you can do within ten miles of Scorpion Bay. I asked, (can they be done on a KTM 950, He said only if the guy is a realy good rider, then he told me you will love them on your XR 650 L. :good:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

How does the bike do at speed with the board? What is the fastest you can go safely? How'd you rig it up, or is it made for a motorcycle?

Sorry for the rapid fire questions...

It is a surfers paradise (he said) you will have the best time. The wave is incredably long. I have never seen such clean TUBES in my life. I will help you with the best route to ride with your board, their is a resturant now and a coffe shop on the beach with free internet acces. Their are great rides you can do within ten miles of Scorpion Bay. I asked, (can they be done on a KTM 950, He said only if the guy is a realy good rider, then he told me you will love them on your XR 650 L. :(

100 + with wife and luggage on back of bike. (Carver surf rack bolted to billet rack) I will try to post pictures of how to install this rack on different bikes. These racks are very popular in Cost Rica and Bali and now here in Carlsbad.

I forget my board is with me except when everyone is pointing at me and my wife when we ride by.

A fourth rider is now in on this ride. He is not into this site, but is an awesome rider and great surfer.

Here is a picture of him at Amago. He is Scott Seargent (AKA) the Pit Bull!

I planned this ride for next year so there will be plenty of time to plan a good route, prepare the bikes, and to do physical training, so that I will be able to ride and surf all day, every day for a week or more. :P

Bikeslut and others, I have found a house and or Palapas at the bay and plenty of resorts to stay at, the half way point, we can rent if you arent into camping. I still want to ride there, and get by with 1 surf board. I do carry resin and glass for ding repair. :P

post-465-1215665500_thumb.jpg

That's a sick setup. That's going to be a killer trip. I surf from Del Mar to Ponto(Live in Del Mar, work in Solana Beach). If you're ever down here in solana beach, stop by my store and I'll buy you a pint next door at Pizza Port...

I Was at the beach this morning surfing, and was told that one of my friends, who is a Carlsbad building inspector and surfer, hasn't been at the beach lately because he and his wife are on a long hike (From the Mexican boarder to Canada.)

There's a great book out now called "Cactus Eaters" about a guy and his girlfriend who hike the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada. It gets pretty intense as there is no way to carry enough water with you so you have to rely on guidebooks telling you where to find water to pump out and filter as you go. If you don't find it, you are screwed.

Last summer my 70 year old dad did the Continental Divide Trail on his KLR all the way from the Mexican border to the Canadian border. He wants me to do it again with him next summer.