Sign in to follow this  
2Wheels

Vanishing Point

This is how I negotiate curves on unfamiliar roads. Is it overly-cautious? Maybe it is, but I feel comfortable with it.

http://home.comcast.net/~alan.s.moore/vp/vanish.htm

some examples

http://home.comcast.net/~alan.s.moore/vp/v.../vpexamples.htm

More on the vanishing point from some British websites

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/roads/sa...der-safety3.htm

http://www.mikewaite.co.uk/factsheets/the-...nd-dead-ground/

Guest Guest

2-wheels.. thanks for this information... when I said "overly cautious" I meant it in a good way... It's always better to be cautious.. I guesss I should not mention the "overly" part, but you know how it goes when you post.. I am a believer of "riding smart" and do everything possible to stay out of trouble while having fun.. And you are right, I did not really meant "overly" so I'm going to remove that part.. You obviously ride a smaller bike also, so you have to ride slower.. on single track you are pretty fast, and on jeeep trails you slow down, for good reason... thanks again for bringing to us good articles on smart and safe riding.. :ph34r: Also, I guess we have to all ride according to our skill level and experience.. For example, I'm not too experience on the road, and taking on curves going fast on pavement.. I was feeling unsafe going at Kevin's speed when riding covering your back.. kevin has much more experience with his Dakar taking road trips, but I'm pretty new.. That is why you had to wait for me at one point (besides not being able to see with my bad lighting)... taking a curve on the 65 mph road too fast can also get me in big trouble, if I don't have the experience.. also my dirt oriented bike is not really designed for that...

This is great info 2Wheels. I have never thought about it so literally, Well done! I must agree completely, this is a good receipe for riding safely, as well as agressively (to the limit that your skill level and hardwear can accomodate).

Talking about blind curves (specifically in offroading), we all take many chances riding out fast on dirt... there are lots of blind spots where we just hope for the best (like a russian rulet).. anyway, I came accross this post, and thought it would be good to post it to remind us all about the danger and also the responsibilities we have for our families... http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthrea...ead.php?t=21739

Good info two wheeled guy , enjoyed the tech reading a great reminder on how to survive in an asphault jungle. May we all ride to a very old age.

Brian

KLR 650

Remember, Always ride at YOUR Comfort level, not the other guys. Dualsporting is not a race, it is a ride and and adventure. We dont mind waiting, its all about getting back safely and having a good time.Kev

Guest stevensyanora

corners ....you enter them slow and leave them fast..and like kevin says ubove all Ride your Ride...and go home safe Posted Image

............ I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT.............

.Posted Image

Dennis, that is a very unusual Dirt bike riding shirt you are wearing. Is that a Fox 2008 Model? How is your recovery coming/Kev

. GEE KEV,,, It's kinda obvious its a Thor-Moto...

Posted Image

.PUT THE BEER DOWN, KEVIN...AND GO HAVE A NICE STRONG CUP OF COFFEE.

..And while your up, it's time to take out the trash..

Posted Image

Recovery going slow, and ran out of the Vicodins,

So I switched over to your kind of medication..

Posted Image

BUT IF I MAY BE SERIOUS , " JUST THIS ONCE "..

I really put alot of thought into stevensyanora post above, I never thought of that and it really makes alot of sence... I dont think I could ride around all day being so cautious that I never get a least a little race'ee....but with his suggestion, I could ride alot safer, but still ride the way i'm used to..enter the corners slow, and when the vanishing point is gone , and you can see everthing ahead of you, then get goose'ee if you want...I think everyone gets a little rev'ed up at some point during a ride..

So a big thanks to you Steve'n yo

And to 2wheels for starting " another " great thread...

Kaw'ee

All things happen for a reason. Your accident will eductate many, just too bad you had to be the educator!

By the way, I love that refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest stevensyanora

Hope you recover soon Kaw ee so I can meet you ,in person . Im hopeing your recovery will be quick ,and painless as possible , I know what you are going through ...Ive been there . Love your pictures ,That cloud was sweet..talk to you later ...Steve :huh: