Sign in to follow this  
erik_26

Super Tenere Clutch pull

Hello,

So I am wondering how to best go about lightening the clutch pull on my 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere. It is a hydraulic clutch. I really start to notice how heavy it is when stuck in city driving. Around my neck of the woods, there is a stop light or stop sign just about every 10 feet or so it seems. I have awesome luck as I typically get to stop at all of them. Sitting at a light for 2 minutes, no joke, waiting for my turn, if the light sensors even detected me, it can start to get pretty fatiguing in my hand after a while.

What  am not clear on is if I need to upgrade the hand lever return spring in the master cylinder or if I need to go after something else? I have felt other hydraulic clutches on bikes at the stores and it seems like there are several out there that seems to have a lighter easier pull.

Maybe I just need to man up, eat more spinach and grow a pop-eye left forearm?

• Like 1

First thing I would recommend is a flush and bleed of the clutch fluid.  I need to do mine as well so maybe we could set up a time to work on them together.  

I never really paid attention to mine, but it feels equivalent to most of the other bikes in my garage, with my XR400R being the lightest clutch pull and it’s a cable clutch.

27 minutes ago, tntmo said:

First thing I would recommend is a flush and bleed of the clutch fluid.  I need to do mine as well so maybe we could set up a time to work on them together.  

I never really paid attention to mine, but it feels equivalent to most of the other bikes in my garage, with my XR400R being the lightest clutch pull and it’s a cable clutch.

That sounds like a good idea.

What is your availability like? I am free almost every day between now and next Monday. I just have to take my boy to the DMV tomorrow and find sometime to practice driving with him.

Judging by your videos, can I invite myself over to your place? Hahah. It looks like you are far better setup than I.

23 minutes ago, erik_26 said:

That sounds like a good idea.

What is your availability like? I am free almost every day between now and next Monday. I just have to take my boy to the DMV tomorrow and find sometime to practice driving with him.

Judging by your videos, can I invite myself over to your place? Hahah. It looks like you are far better setup than I.

Yeah, we can work out a time to come on over but I'm heading to Alaska for about a week....so it will have to be after that.  Good idea, we can make a video out of it!  I really don't know if flushing and bleeding it will help but it certainly won't hurt.  At that very least we can compare the two bikes to make sure yours doesn't seem different.  

43 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Yeah, we can work out a time to come on over but I'm heading to Alaska for about a week....so it will have to be after that.  Good idea, we can make a video out of it!  I really don't know if flushing and bleeding it will help but it certainly won't hurt.  At that very least we can compare the two bikes to make sure yours doesn't seem different.  

10-4, sounds good.