Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Mammoth to Bodie Tracks

From Jerry Counts public/open library on GPsXchange:

This ride goes from Mammoth to Bodie then to Lee Vining for lunch and gas then back to Mammoth. It's very difficult with miles of soft sand around Mono Lake followed by a very rocky jeep road up to Bodie. The easy way is also soft but not as bad.

Although it opens up in late May or June, it is another great fall ride because of all the colors you will encounter and the lower temperatures in the sand sections. The ride starts from the intersection of Main and Sawmill across from McDonald's in Mammoth. You can park and unload in a parking lot by the sewer dump just inside Shady Rest camp ground.

FYI - DEEP sand east of Mono lake.....not a beginner ride if you take the main route.......and easy way dodge to Bodie is also included.

Mammoth.Bodie.txt

From Jerry Counts public/open library on GPsXchange:

This ride goes from Mammoth to Bodie then to Lee Vining for lunch and gas then back to Mammoth. It's very difficult with miles of soft sand around Mono Lake followed by a very rocky jeep road up to Bodie. The easy way is also soft but not as bad.

Although it opens up in late May or June, it is another great fall ride because of all the colors you will encounter and the lower temperatures in the sand sections. The ride starts from the intersection of Main and Sawmill across from McDonald's in Mammoth. You can park and unload in a parking lot by the sewer dump just inside Shady Rest camp ground.

FYI - DEEP sand east of Mono lake.....not a beginner ride if you take the main route.......and easy way dodge to Bodie is also included.

Crawdaddy,

Deep Sand as in Arroyo Seca del Diablo or Upper Fish Creek? Or Deep Sand like Short Wash near Thimble Trail or Upper Rockhouse Canyon?

Dave

Crawdaddy,

Deep Sand as in Arroyo Seca del Diablo or Upper Fish Creek? Or Deep Sand like Short Wash near Thimble Trail or Upper Rockhouse Canyon?

Dave

I can't remember which of those two areas is worse :rolleyes::D . I don't know if I can give you that degree of fidelity.......let's just say it's "pretty deep/thick stuff" in places so if you don't like sand take the easier route.....my general rule in sand - squeeze the tank between the knees, bump up a gear to reduce spin, and apply more throttle to lighten the front :D:D:D