DigDug

Pre Lobby Day Dual Sport Ride

Well, now that I've finally had time to download pictures and get stuff settled in, I figured I'd kick off the ride report for the SDAR trip up to lobby days.

KTMRad, KLRoger and I met up and got on the road late Friday night. We had planned to stop somewhere along the way, grab a motel and head up early to make our 12:00 noon meeting time with KTMRad's buddies who were going to lead us on a ride. KLRoger and I decided to push on through to destination while KTMRad slept in the back seat. We checked into the Motel-6, caught a few hours of sleep and got up for an awesome ride in the mountains northeast of Sacramento.

We met up with Rad's buddies in a K-Mart parking lot in Grass Valley:

img0606rz9.jpg

A few miles of pavement to get to the dirt. The road started out wide and fast, but with each turn it got smaller and more curvy - and more fun.

img0608ok8.jpg

The road finally turned to dirt, and we came upon this cool bridge:

img0612iq5.jpg

img0613xk8.jpg

The river under the bridge:

img0614ov3.jpg

img0615xa7.jpg

Lots of dirt roads to be explored:

img0621yz6.jpg

Great views:

img0623we1.jpg

We hit this sweet road that was literally built into the side of the cliff. There's a HUGE dropoff. Look at how the rocks are stacked just right to keep this road in place:

img0625gd2.jpg

That's a long way down!!!

img0627fr5.jpg

img0629ze3.jpg

Lots of great scenery, here KTMRad poses by a waterfall:

img0643ud2.jpg

We kept winding our way up and up. Finally we got to another paved road and snow:

img0652dg8.jpg

Our guides took us to an old mining town called Forest City:

img0657pf9.jpg

The local hangout was closed for the season:

img0656un1.jpg

We decided it was time for a late lunch break so we rode to the metropolis of Alleghany and grabbed lunch and refreshments at the local bar:

img0660fm2.jpg

From there it was getting late, so we wound our way back through more dirt roads, to more curvy paved back roads all the way to K-Mart. We loaded up and headed back to the hotel to get some rest before our next day's fun.

To be continued...

We met up with Rad's buddies in a K-Mart parking lot in Grass Valley:

Yep, LOT's of great riding in that area......cool photos.....my folks live an hour due south on Hwy 49/50 in Placerville (Hang Town)

Day 2 - 6 Apr 07

For day 2, we met up with a good group of riders from Motherlode Dualsport for another great tour of the area. We met up at the local breakfast joint, chowed down, and headed off.

At the staging area:

img0664uj4.jpg

We geared up and headed off. These guys like to keep a pretty good pace on both the street and dirt roads. Here, KTMRad zips along:

img0667mp0.jpg

followed by KLRoger:

img0669dt2.jpg

We pressed on ahead, climbing and climbing until we started to hit lots of mud and snow on the roads. We got to this guy, trying to dig his truck out.

img0671ii8.jpg

We did a little maneuvering to get around the snow. Here KLRoger (with his cool old-school motocross helmet) plays in the snow:

img0676tb4.jpg

Snow-Parking the KTM (I figured everyone down here does it in the sand, I'd better try it with the snow) while Mystic Rick roosts by...

img0677if5.jpg

More sloppy roads.. <_<

img0679pe9.jpg

We stopped at this river crossing for a short break. A couple of the guys went down to the river to try their hand at a little gold-panning. I don't think they found anything...

img0680dh6.jpg

Trench dug by the river when at higher levels:

img0685cn7.jpg

For those XR owners out there - this is the guy that got the cool custom plate:

img0687tp6.jpg

We wound our way all over the mountain (sorry, I don't know the names of roads or locations - I was just following the guy ahead of me). Here's some cool trails under the power lines:

img0689gp4.jpg

We wound our way down to the town of Washington to grab some lunch. Here's the group of muddy bikes.

img0694of0.jpg

After lunch, we headed back down the mountain - through more of the snow. Here's KLRoger testing the slipperiness of the mud/snow:

img0698fp1.jpg

We had one KTM with the stock tank. Here's the DRZ donation to the empty guy:

img0700pe2.jpg

Rolling along, we dropped into this river valley. It's comprised of mostly golf-ball sized rocks that have washed down from hydraulic mines up the canyon. The river winds its way through and formed a really fun dirt-bike playground.

img0701ob8.jpg

Sitting around, taking in the view, we wondered where KLRoger was. We waited and waited, until we heard him coming down the trail. With a broken footpeg!!! The group worked together and was able to zip-tie it so he could ride the 4 or so miles back to the trucks.

img0703sh7.jpg

Off we went. This place was a blast of a playground! You could pretty much ride where you wanted to, crossing streams, climbing the banks of the river-valley. It made a great way to wash some of the mud off of both the bikes and riders.

img0705ql7.jpg

The river led us back to the trucks where we loaded up, tried to dry up as best as we could, and headed off towards Sacramento for our lobbying.

Thanks to the Mother Lode guys for showing us a great day of riding!!!!

Day 2 - 6 Apr 07

Thanks to the Mother Lode guys for showing us a great day of riding!!!!

Your welcome................Now, Where are KTMRad's photos?????????He toook a lot of them......Com'on KTMRad,,,,,,,,,Get the Sand out.

Peace

Ricky