ADAM_650L

650L carb question

I have a 03 XR650L that is bone stock except for a K&N filter. Im gonna put the de-smog kit on and pull the snorkel. I will leave the stock exhaust for now.

Can I just buy a 160 main jet and a 55 slow jet, or do I need to buy a whole kit with spring and all?

Also, where can I find a shim for the needle?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated

I did 99% of the "Dave's" carb mods to my XR before I found it at 4strokes.com and did a few more things after reading the article there.

Yes you can buy jets individually, it's a Kein Consant Velocity (CV) Carb and the jets available for it can be found at any stealership or most local shops. Vey's right here in Lakeside had what I needed.

I used a small washer I had in a collection of miscellanous parts, nothing special required just the right thickness.

I used a linear micrometer to figure the thickness of the washer I used to shim the needle. Shimming is required becuase the CV carb needle does not use a clip like the Kein flatsides and Mikuni's do.

I also drilled the slide out with the recommended 5/32" holes after reading the "Dave's mods"

With the carb mods and a K&N you will see a bit of throttle improvement but even more if you clean out the baffle flanges in the stock exhaust like Hondapilot did and you will see a decrease in gas milage as well but you will like the noticeable difference in "Grunt" :rolleyes:

Here's an excellent link on the CV carb mods: http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

I'll be home working on my pig and around the garage today so you are welcomed to swing by if you'd like a hand with it, I PM'd my phone number and address to you.

I have a 03 XR650L that is bone stock except for a K&N filter. Im gonna put the de-smog kit on and pull the snorkel. I will leave the stock exhaust for now.

Can I just buy a 160 main jet and a 55 slow jet, or do I need to buy a whole kit with spring and all?

Also, where can I find a shim for the needle?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated

I installed the Dynojet kit. No guess work needed. Here is a link,Dynojet

There is a jet for air box mods and one for exhuast. I still have my stock exhaust.