DigDug

Post Town Hall Meeting Ride - 22 Mar 08

Well, we had a great meeting with congressman Hunter and decided that since we had our bikes with us, we'd better put them to use!!! A group of us met for some Mexican then split with some of us heading up to Corral Canyon. The rangers were at the Kernan Cycle trail road crossing, checking spark arrestors and registrations on bikes as we headed up. There was a guy behind me that got turned around (presumable for an MX bike without a spark arrestor). A quick look at our stock pipes and we were on our way.

Once at Four Corners we split up into "hardway" and "easyway" groups. The "hardway" group consisted of KTMRad, Mickey, and myself. Here's a few shots from an AWESOME afternoon of riding!

At the staging area:

img0040mediumgn7.jpg

Mickey led and we figured we'd warm up on a few easy trails. We rode Corral (trail #2) to the Corral Canyon campground, then Bobcat (trail #6) up to the Bobcat Meadow campground. From there, none of us had ridden Greenhorn (trail #4) so we decided to check it out. SWEET TRAIL!!! One of the few true single-tracks up there.

Here Mickey leads us down Greenhorn:

img0041mediumcm5.jpg

KTMRad seems to like it:

img0043mediumad7.jpg

Great trail!!! I'm going to ride it quite a bit more in the future I think!!

Then we hit the southern half of Wrangler (trail #1).

The one major obstacle on Wrangler:

img0045mediumqa2.jpg

From the top, we took a left onto Bronco Peak (trail #3)

Here's a few shots going down the lovely rocks:

img0046mediumdp6.jpg

img0051mediumuo9.jpg

img0053mediumhf7.jpg

img0058mediumnw2.jpg

Somehow, KTMRad took a left when we took a right. He snuck out of the steep, rock downhill.

Here, Mickey shows us his "Endo" skills (not on purpose):

img0062mediumfp9.jpg

This is how he "landed" it:

img0063mediumxs3.jpg

More loose, rocky downhills:

img0066mediumja0.jpg

The boulder field at the bottom:

img0073mediumzj1.jpg

We met back up with KTMRad, took a short break, then decided to make a quick run up to the lookout tower via the Spur Meadow Cycle Trail.

We rode it at a pretty good clip, and had a BLAST!!! At the top of the trail:

img0074mediumwu9.jpg

A few shots from the top of the hill:

img0077mediumtz1.jpg

img0079mediumho1.jpg

We saw that Norm was up in the tower and climbed up to say hi and get a few pictures:

img0081mediumjr6.jpg

Here's Norm, KTMRad, and Mickey:

img0085mediumwr4.jpg

For those of you who haven't met him, Norm is the fire watch. He's been doing that job for decades and seems to really love to get visitors. He'll invite you in, ask you if you'd like to have a seat and share stories all afternoon long.

Looking back down to the Four Corners staging area:

img0087mediumhv2.jpg

Mickey crawling down the tower:

img0088mediumbn6.jpg

From there, back to Four Corners to load up and head out. A nice short, but action packed afternoon of riding. It was fun to keep up a good pace and cover some fun trails on such a wonderful afternoon!! Thanks KTMRad for tagging along!!!

The "easyway" group (Gery XT-225, Luke, & sandiegoland) took the asphalt jumps up to the peak, then headed down Spur Meadow Cycle Trail (good thing we didn't "meet" the "hardway" group coming up!)

post-101-1206250339_thumb.jpg

At the bottom we picked up the easy trails from the campground back to 4-Corners. Well, almost the easy trails. I promised Luke no rock crawling, so we had to double back on one of the off-shoot trails... if we had come down this way the other direction we might've ended up a Suzuki cupcake with Yamaha frosting!! ;)

post-101-1206250365_thumb.jpg

Luke looked pretty happy that we picked some good learning trails...

post-101-1206250493_thumb.jpg

From there I introduced Gery XT-225 to Kernan Cycle trail, and Luke bypassed and met us at the bottom. Gery stopped for a second on the way down and showed me his plan to replace the kickstand if it ever falls off! ;)

post-101-1206250533_thumb.jpg

Man that little 225 can keep up on the road! Yamaha knows how to make a 6-speed dual-sport!! :)

Coral_Canyon_Tracks.txt

It really made a big differents seeing our San Diego Adventure Riders participating and supporting to any Off-Road Coalition meeting. Once again, we showed to our Congressman Duncan Hunter our best supports. Great agenda...

A lunch and ride to Coral Canyon OHV follows after the meeting. At first, I was really hessitate to join the ride after seeing massive enduro bikes and SDAR dressed like a Pro-Racers on the parking lot. Until Sandiegoland approaches me and ask me to join and promisses that novice riders like me are also welcome to ride with them. For now... all I can say is we all had a BLAST at the Coral Canyon single track trails.

After all, not too bad for a novice riders for only scratching my left front fender on that technical high wall downhill ruts. We also had fun along Hwy 94 heading back to San Diego. Thanks so much for letting us to tag along.

;) Ride safe,

Gery

Coral_Canyon_Tracks.txt

It really made a big differents seeing our San Diego Adventure Riders participating and supporting to any Off-Road Coalition meeting. Once again, we showed to our Congressman Duncan Hunter our best supports. Great agenda...

A lunch and ride to Coral Canyon OHV follows after the meeting. At first, I was really hessitate to join the ride after seeing massive enduro bikes and SDAR dressed like a Pro-Racers on the parking lot. Until Sandiegoland approaches me and ask me to join and promisses that novice riders like me are also welcome to ride with them. For now... all I can say is we all had a BLAST at the Coral Canyon single track trails.

After all, not too bad for a novice riders for only scratching my left front fender on that technical high wall downhill ruts. We also had fun along Hwy 94 heading back to San Diego. Thanks so much for letting us to tag along.

;) Ride safe,

Gery

Please enjoy more photo stories below...

P1160497.jpg

Congressman Duncan Hunter supporting the off-road community...

P1160507.jpg

Great turn-out... San Diego Adventure Riders giving best possible support to off-road coalition meeting...

P1160511.jpg

SDAR socializing at the parking lot after the meeting...

P1160514.jpg

We decided to have lunch and ride to Coral Canyon OHV after the meeting...

P1160519.jpg

Spark Arrester Required

P1160586.jpg

Trail Map...

P1160516.jpg

Getting ready...

P1160518.jpg

DigDug and his KTM...

P1160522.jpg

Craig and his DRZ400

P1160525.jpg

Randy and his KTM