Sign in to follow this  
RogerTOWM

1 Day Ride in Baja ** Friday 4 April 2008

A friend and I will be doing a one day Dual-sport run in Baja on Friday, April 4, 2008. We will meet at 8 in the morning gassed and ready to go at the payless shoe store in the little strip mall in Tecate.

EDIT the shoe store is at 405 Tecate Road, right on the way to the border.

We will ride the paved road from Tecate to La Rumorosa then ride the dirt road to Laguna Hansen. We will ride back to La Rumorosa and have lunch at one of the truck stop restaurants.

This will be a Novice “slow” ride. We hope to be back in Tecate by 5pm. My friend speaks fluent Spanish and has been on these roads before. Now if we can only teach him English we would be able to talk with him. :lol:

Anyone interested in going with us?

A friend and I will be doing a one day Dual-sport run in Baja on Friday, April 4, 2008. We will meet at 8 in the morning gassed and ready to go at the payless shoe store in the little strip mall in Tecate.

We will ride the paved road from Tecate to La Rumorosa then ride the dirt road to Laguna Hansen. We will ride back to La Rumorosa and have lunch at one of the truck stop restaurants.

This will be a Novice “slow” ride. We hope to be back in Tecate by 5pm. My friend speaks fluent Spanish and has been on these roads before. Now if we can only teach him English we would be able to talk with him. :lol:

I'd like to go with you, but I have a similar ride planned for Saturday. Myself and frostkerry are going to Laguna Hanson, but we're leaving Hwy 2 at El Hongo, taking the Compadre Highway south to El Compadre, and going to Laguna Hanson from there. The Compadre Highway is a good dirt road. I've never been on the road from El Compadre to Laguna Hanson, but since frostkerry is on a KTM950, we'd just turn around and go back if it gets too difficult.

I'm just wondering if there's any way we could join up and all go together.

3-6-08 edit

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't read your post carefully enough and I thought your ride was for this Saturday, March 8.

I'd like to go with you, but I have a similar ride planned for Saturday. Myself and frostkerry are going to Laguna Hanson, but we're leaving Hwy 2 at El Hongo, taking the Compadre Highway south to El Compadre, and going to Laguna Hanson from there. The Compadre Highway is a good dirt road. I've never been on the road from El Compadre to Laguna Hanson, but since frostkerry is on a KTM950, we'd just turn around and go back if it gets too difficult.

We can change our route and destinations no problem. But I am going to Sacramento for “Lobby Day” on Monday the 7th. If Randy has a dualsport ride on that Sunday I’ll need to drive up to Sacramento on Saturday. My friend Jorge may have a problem with Saturday as well (family). I think we are pretty firm with going Friday, I’d talk to him but I don’t speak Spanish. :lol: Let’s see what Randy has planned for Lobby Day before we rule it out.

I could go either day, but I don't want to go on both. Kerry can go only on Saturday. Maybe some other time.

email sent

---------------------------------------------

3-6-08 edit

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't read your original post carefully enough and I thought your post was for this Saturday March 8.

We are still planning on going on this ride Friday as long as it doesn’t rain. Is anyone going to meet us at the Payless Shoe store 405 Tecate road on Friday the 4th at 8 in the morning? :)

3-6-08 edit

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't read your post carefully enough and I thought your ride was for this Saturday, March 8.

If you are on roads, none of it will be too difficult even for adventure bikes. It's the secret single track that is the most fun though!

If you are on roads, none of it will be too difficult even for adventure bikes. It's the secret single track that is the most fun though!

The main road going south from Santa Veronica to Ojos Negros is a graded road that you can take passenger cars on. We turned off from that road near El Compadre. I think we were on part of an old race course. Some of the whoops on it looked like trophy truck whoops with soft sand. We didn't turn back though. We made it all the way to Laguna Hanson. I would have turned back though had I been on the 950. The next week, Kerry bought one of the new WR250's.

20080308StaVeronica004.jpg

After Laguna Hanson, we took the easy road back to La Rumorosa and pavement back home from there.

There are so many cool places to go and trails to explore just 30 short minutes from San Diego. After my first trip to Baja last July, I was hooked.

WaterCrossing.jpg

From a ride back in March. Here the road runs parallel to the stream.

LanceCrossingWater.jpg

Here, the road was the stream.

MatthewAfterWaterCrossing.jpg

We were sopping wet by the end of this ride. We could have gone swimming with our clothes on and not gotten any wetter.

DrippingWet.jpg

Peace, brothers and sisters.