Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

An afternoon on the lake

I decided to get in a bit of fishing while everybody was out riding Desert Dash. I figured that Saturday was going to be the only nice day of the weekend, and while I like dirt riding in the rain I hate sitting in a boat while the sky pours down on me. Pretty bad stuff, especially if the fish aren't biting. So it was off to Lake Hodges with my li'l tin bote, The Lucky Bassturd II.

Not too many people out on the water. And not too many people getting bit, either. It's still kind of early in the season, the water is cold and murky yet and the real bite doesn't start until April, although it'll begin to pick up around the middle of March. The fish are still in prespawn mode and largely holding off of main structure. But I am lazy and I don't want to fight the wind trying to position myself in the chop off of a main point and fish 20 to 30 feet deep. There are usually some fish at shallower depths as well. Finding them and getting them to strike is another story. I throw a pig n jig here and a junebug colored Palmtree there, run a Boogiebait through the sticks and pitch a number of things near the bridge. I stop at some main points in behind the narrows and throw some dropshot and texas rigged worms, but no takers. Finally, I just put my feet up and tour the lake, as I have not been out on it since the fire roared through back in October. I finish off the evening trying to entice some early crappie to pick off a chartruese curltail grub jigged through the stick-ups near the fishing dock. I couldn't even get a nibble from one of those normally easily fooled rocket scientists. So I called it a day and headed back to the launch ramp, as it was getting cold and dark.

100_0493.jpg

These little guys were enjoying some kind of a shoreline lunch....I couldn't see what.

100_0497.jpg

Another day of relaxing without any silly bass to get in the way of me relaxing. :o This photo proves my feet were there.(Heh heh, R.O.)

Maybe next time I go, I'll be able to show off a portrait of a black crappie or a largemouth bass :o

Looks like you're making pretty good use of your time off.

Well now, I have been busy looking for work too, and I have a promising lead that I hope will pan out by next Wednesday, but it is the weekend after all :o .

you ever try kayak fishing

No, I don't have a kayak. But I have float tube fished.