Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Big Bear Trail Riders Bar 10 Ride - APRIL 25-27

Figured I oughta start a new thread on the Bar 10 ride since I started rambling about it under a thread about the Ridgecrest 300 ride....

Go here for the info: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...amp;#entry18160

THIS IS A BBTR MEMBERS RIDE.....(it's only $25/yr to join and the $$ goes to a good group/cause)

Figured I oughta start a new thread on the Bar 10 ride since I started rambling about it under a thread about the Ridgecrest 300 ride....

Go here for the info: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...amp;#entry18160

THIS IS A BBTR MEMBERS ONLY RIDE.....(it's only $25/yr to join and the $$ goes to a good group/cause)

The date for this ride has been changed to April 25-27. I'm 98% sure I'm going with my friend Anthony.....I'm thinking I'd like to head to Vegas on Thursday night the 24th, ride over in Red Rocks and/or (?) on Friday morning the 25th (I have GPS tracks from the tail end of the LA-B-V ride - I never got to ride in Red Rocks because I was running late on the 2nd day.....it's supposed to be a beautiful area) then head up to Mesquite, NV. Friday late afternoon/early evening......do the ride Sat/Sun.....maybe stay in Vegas or Stateline again on Sunday night, and drive home Monday.....

FYI, this is a "kid/non-plated bike" friendly ride......Here's the info on bringing kids/non street plated bikes directly from BBTR:

Hello Chris:

Miguel asked me to reply to your inquiry below. We have quite a few non-plated kids’ bikes along on this trip. The parents must truck the non-plated bikes to the outskirts of town, about 2 miles from the hotel, drop off the bikes and return the truck to the hotel and ride their plated bike back. We always have an adult stay with the kids while their parents are doing this. Then on the return trip the parents and kids usually ride together and when the dirt trail turns to paved road, a parent will stay with the kids while the rest of the parents ride to the hotel, pick up their trucks and return to pick up the kids.

The ride in is about 90 miles and the ride out is about 105 miles and there are no gas stops so if the bikes do not have that kind of mileage you will need to carry gas. The Bar-10 sells gas for the return trip but if you have a 2 stroke you will need to bring oil.

I would not recommend bringing kids that can not complete each day’s ride because the truck route into the Bar-10 is about 80 miles of dirt road from St George, Utah. The more experienced parents have in the past set up waypoints to have a truck with gas, lunch and tie downs to meet them about half way to refuel bikes, kids and pick up anyone too tired to complete the ride. I do not think they ever have had to pick a kid up yet. The last couple of years no one set up a stop like this. If you want to do this I can make a suggestion for the location of the stop and set a waypoint for the track that comes in from St George. It is only about 5 miles out of the way for the truck route. Frank

Alrighty!!! I just signed Mickey and myself up for it - Looks like it'll be a good one! As of 12:50pm, 4 Mar, there are already 26 out of 70 people signed up(limited by lodging accommodations at the Bar-10 ranch). If you're on the fence you might want to commit soon.

Here's the link: BBTR Bar-10 Ride

Crawdaddy,

Red Rocks sounds nice, but we'll probably just head up to Mesquite on Friday since Mickey's not on a plated bike.

Alrighty!!! I just signed Mickey and myself up for it - Looks like it'll be a good one! As of 12:50pm, 4 Mar, there are already 26 out of 70 people signed up(limited by lodging accommodations at the Bar-10 ranch). If you're on the fence you might want to commit soon.

Crawdaddy,

Red Rocks sounds nice, but we'll probably just head up to Mesquite on Friday since Mickey's not on a plated bike.

You'll find my name on the "confirmed list" :lol:

Good Deal.....glad you and "the Green Mohawk Boy" are gonna be able to make it too......

I did some Columbo work, and this is what I came up with: (If I was gonna do it on my own)

MAP - No Waypoints

MAP - With Waypoints

(yeah I'm bored at work...)

I did some Columbo work, and this is what I came up with: (If I was gonna do it on my own)

More Columbo......saw this article on the Communist News Network (CNN) this morning.....not sure what a difference it'll really make to the scenery when looking down from the North Rim.....but I'm looking forward to finding out....

Manmade flood roars through Grand Canyon

I'm trying to make reservations at the Falcon Ridge Hotel for Friday night. The BBTR flyer says it's $99 per night with their group ID, but I found this site: Mesquite-hotelsonline.com that let me make a reservation for $84 per night. Now I'm not really a cheapskate, but I hate to pay $15 more and get the same thing. They have a BBB and Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce membership and they say their reservations are guaranteed, but I've never used a service like that before (I guess they're sort of a travel agent)...

Think that site is legit??? If I call the hotel directly, I'm pretty sure they'll try and talk me into their system since they get $15 more that way...

I'm trying to make reservations at the Falcon Ridge Hotel for Friday night. The BBTR flyer says it's $99 per night with their group ID, but I found this site: Mesquite-hotelsonline.com that let me make a reservation for $84 per night. Now I'm not really a cheapskate, but I hate to pay $15 more and get the same thing. They have a BBB and Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce membership and they say their reservations are guaranteed, but I've never used a service like that before (I guess they're sort of a travel agent)...

Think that site is legit??? If I call the hotel directly, I'm pretty sure they'll try and talk me into their system since they get $15 more that way...

Interesting.....I called the hotel directly when I made my reservation........told them I was with BBTR and wanted one of the 30 rooms they blocked off for the club........didn't even ask about the rate.....maybe I shouldv'e asked'em to match the $84 "internet" rate

Interesting.....I called the hotel directly when I made my reservation........told them I was with BBTR and wanted one of the 30 rooms they blocked off for the club........didn't even ask about the rate.....maybe I shouldv'e asked'em to match the $84 "internet" rate

Yeah - the flier says $99. This place looks like it's a "travel agent" of sorts - not the hotel's own website (I couldn't get their site to work). I think they buy up rooms from the hotels in bulk then sell them out to the public with a markup. I tried hotels.com (I think they work the same way) and they showed $120, but this place says $84. I went a booked it, we'll see if we have a place to sleep when we get there Friday night I guess!!!! We may ask to crash on your floor :rolleyes:

Crawdaddy,

BAR 10 Event Registrants List has grown from 26 to 40 in the last 3 days......jump off the fence and commit if you're interested in riding with us to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (NO LICENSE PLATE REQUIRED!).....and, if you must, stop in Vegas on the way out/back......that's what Anthony and I are doing..........it's not something we want to do.......it's something we HAVE to do.........but sssssshhhhhhh......quiet........it's a secret :scratch_one-s_head: ...... :D:D:D

Just sent out my email, I'm in <_< Gonna try and drag Steve out on his KTM and a buddy of mine from Vegas will ride my KLX. I'm SUPER excited about this trip. Lookin forward to riding with ya Chris.

Just sent out my email, I'm in <_< Gonna try and drag Steve out on his KTM and a buddy of mine from Vegas will ride my KLX. I'm SUPER excited about this trip. Lookin forward to riding with ya Chris.

Good deal......only ~20 spots left......move fast.

Like I said above, I plan on riding the standard "Red Rocks" section of the LA-B-V ride on Friday the 25th before heading up to Mesquite. You're welcome to join me and Anthony.....but you'll need a bike with a plate to ride in that area.

Still not convinced? Here's the e-mail from my Dual Sport/GPS mentor Gil that convinced me to sign up......

Chris,

This is a great ride that you will want to do at least once. Not a ball buster technical ride but terrific scenery and staying at the ranch is pretty cool. There is some good rocky technical options on day 2 that I did that went up in the forest. I think we went by butch and sundances hideout somewhere along the way and there is the old trumbull schoolhouse to see as well. I highly recommend this ride and give it 5 stars. I am including a gps track that you can ride right out to the edge of the canyon and also check out some old cabins at pa's pocket you want bar 10 2 view track. Most people think the grand canyon is all fences, flashbulbs and japanese tourists but the north rim is nothing like that. You won't be disappointed.

Gil

Gil rides ALL THE TIME....EVERYWHERE.....the guy is a dual sport animal......if he rates it a 5 star ride it's a sure winner :)<_<

BAR 10 Event Registrants List has grown from 26 to 40 in the last 3 days......

Up to 49 now.

Hey Strega, now that you're a member of a Dual Sport club - ya gotta get a Dual Sport!!!! :lol:

Good to have you along on this ride!!!

Mickey and I are looking forward to the ride and meeting more of the SDAR gang!!!

I know I know =(

I guess I should sell my KLX 300, and put that $$ down on a KTM 525 EXC. At least that's what it's looking like at the moment. Buying one new is just SOOOOOO damn expensive =\

Crawdaddy,

BAR 10 Event Registrants List has grown from 26 to 40 in the last 3 days......jump off the fence and commit if you're interested in riding with us to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (NO LICENSE PLATE REQUIRED!).....and, if you must, stop in Vegas on the way out/back......that's what Anthony and I are doing..........it's not something we want to do.......it's something we HAVE to do.........but sssssshhhhhhh......quiet........it's a secret :ph34r: ...... :huh::D:D

Hurry......Only 10 slots left as of this morning......

Hurry......Only 10 slots left as of this morning......

6 slots left.....it's gonna get closed out within a week......what are you waiting for!?!?!

Fillin up fast ;) This is gonna be a BLAST!!

One spot opened up, I snagged it for my buddy Rey that I will be picking up in Vegas. Chris, you interested in doing any kind of carpooling for this event??

One spot opened up, I snagged it for my buddy Rey that I will be picking up in Vegas. Chris, you interested in doing any kind of carpooling for this event??

Strega,

I think Crawdaddy was thinking about heading up early (Thursday?) to do some dual-sporting around Las Vegas. There's also some talk about some post-Bar-10 riding up further north (maybe back to 5MOH) on Monday (Sorry Crawdaddy, I was too beat to took over the emails last night - but it sounds very tempting, I'll have to see how it goes).

Right now, Mickey and I are planning on trucking up to Mesquite Friday afternoon, you're welcome to jump in with us. I've got a 4-door pickup and I know we can fit 3 bikes, gear, and riders in my truck - but I'm not sure about the 4th (your buddy in Vegas). A Joe Hauler (if you've got one) and stuffing gear around the bikes may work for #4... With the price of diesel, carpooling would really be a great idea!!!

With the price of diesel, carpooling would really be a great idea!!!

I'll be leaving Carlsbad around noon on Thurs the 24th and heading up to Irvine to pick up my friend Anthony.....then it's Viva Las Vegas Baby!

thankyou_elvis.gifElvisroustabout.jpg

We'll be riding the Red Rocks area on Friday (street license plate required) then heading up to Mesquite on Friday afternoon/evening. I can fit one more bike/rider in my truck for the journey from here to Vegas and/or the ~70 mile drive from Vegas to Mesquite on Friday, but if possible I'd like to avoid trying to squeeze 4 riders/bikes in the truck between Vegas and Mesquite (a bit too cozy) and I'm not sure when we'll be headed back through Vegas after we finish the BAR 10 ride.

Soooooooo, either Doug or I can get you to/from Vegas and we can each take an extra bike in our trucks so neither truck gets burdened with 4 bikes (on the way to Vegas/Mesquite).....the return leg between Mesquite and Vegas might be a different story because I'm not sure when we're headed back through Vegas......does your bud in Vegas have a truck he can use to shuttle you and your bikes between Vegas and Mesquite?

I'm not sure what our plan is on Sunday night after the Bar 10 ride (beyond having a cold "B" once we finish riding :)) .....figure we'll see how we feel after the ~200 mile Bar 10 ride....I was hoping my partner on this trip, Anthony, might be able to head over to Moab afterwards since we'll already be that far east but he has other commitments begining Wed of the following week.....soooo..... we *may* make the ~3hr drive over to Salina on Sunday night and drive the final ~75 miles to 5MOH on Monday morninng, ride 5MOH on Monday, then head back towards Vegas on Monday night and drive home on Tuesday........ or we may just stay in Mesquite again on Sunday night and ride some other trails/tracks on Monday that loop from Mesquite up to St. George and back......... or we may just cruise towards home Sunday night and stay in Vegas or Stateline.........we'll see.....

How's this work for ya?

One thing is certain, you'll be easy to spot on the trail...... :):D