Sign in to follow this  
StealthDingo

Ocotillo Sand Storm

Not a ride report since the bike was at home in a bunch of pieces (sad face) but was anyone out in Ocotillo Friday night?

I headed out in the jeep friday evening to test out some new camp gear and do some shooting the following morning. Set up at around 8pm (still 107 degrees) about 8 miles north of shell canyon rd in the mud hills. Made some dinner and relaxed, few beers around the fire with a buddy, not a soul in sight. At around 1 am we got hit with the nastiest sand storm Ive ever been in, out of nowhere. Demolished parts of camp and I had to pack the rest of camp up to save it from littering the desert. Since it was so dark I couldnt really tell how bad the visibility was but the sand was blowing something fierce and just kept blowing. 

Woke up early the next morning and headed to Corral Canyon to escape the heat and possibility of another nasty sandy night.

Im just curious to see if anyone else was out and experience this beast on Friday night

I was riding Saturday and notice the air quality was murky from the mountaintop I was on.  The weather service posted this for that day.  Looks like you got the brunt of a haboob.   

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION 
  National Weather Service San Diego CA 
  934 PM PDT SAT JUL 30 2016 

.DISCUSSION...FOR EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA INCLUDING ORANGE... 
  SAN DIEGO...WESTERN RIVERSIDE AND SOUTHWESTERN SAN BERNARDINO 
  COUNTIES... 

Dust was a big weather story today. Severe thunderstorms which 
  erupted over Arizona last evening, produced outflow winds which 
  spread dust across the Coachella Valley and into portions of the 
  Inland Empire with suspended dust even to portions of the coast. 
  This lead to hazardous air quality over a large portion of SoCal...

http://www.desertsun.com/story/weather/2016/07/30/overnight-haboob-leads-hazy-morning-coachella-valley/87773022/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haboob

4321948480_42a74b50ca_b.jpg

cleardot.gif