EddieEarl

KTM - Bound Forks & Re-Alignment

I took a slow 2nd gear digger / "tip-over" the other day and when I got back on my bike it felt like I was riding sideways.  I figured the bars were bent so I gave it the old fashioned tire kick to straighten them out and finished the ride.  When I got back home I gave the bike a once-over and noticed my front fender was really out of alignment ... I'd never noticed something like this before:

20160605_122939.jpg 

I loosened up all 8 fork tube / triple clamp pinch bolts to re-align, but I still could NOT get the fender back straight.  I took off the fender, examined it, and concluded it was NOT bent.  I was stumped.  I'm not mechanical engineer.  Just a vet rider capable of common sense and able to turn a few wrenches.  So, I asked myself, "What in the hell would be making this happen?"  Then it hit me.  THE FORK TUBE HEIGHT up in the triple clamp.  I checked, and sure as shniggle they were REALLY uneven. Check it out.

The left fork (only a small portion of the 2nd lobe was showing):  

20160605_124050-1-1.jpg

The right fork (MUCH higher ... a little of the 3rd lobe was showing):

20160605_124058-1-1.jpg

I made both of them equal, torqued everything back to spec, and voila!

20160605_132423.jpg

Just thought I'd throw this post in here in case any other Orange riders run into the same issue.  As I understand it, these KTM's (which I love BTW) have forks which can get "bound up" and twisted pretty easy.  So, in the process of re-aligning don't forget to check the fork tube height in the triple clamp.

Happy Trails,

- Troy

2 minutes ago, Suspenders said:

Bottom triple clamp torque 17nm is important or inner fork tube damage can occur.

George, thx for input.  I keep hearing different things.  KTM shop said 15 bottom and 10 top, and manual says 20 bottom and 15 top.   I went with manual - do you think I'll be good?

You will be fine. 15 to 17 newton meters not ft. lbs. range on bottom is good. Top one not so vital. Just do not want to constrict the middle of the tube creating an internal binding when the forks are moving.