mtnmanseth

2 day Baja Blast - Feb 13 and/or Mar 5?

Jim, you're out for the weekend of the 5th and along with the rest of the guys we hope your wife heals up fast, but what day are you referring to for the long day ride out of Tecate and meeting at 7:30am? I might be up for that.

I am talking about Sat, March 5th. I can be gone during the day, but need to be home at night.

Roger that. So, I'm a complete baja noob as you're about to see. I know there's Ramona's, Mike's, Coyotes ... from what I understand Coyotes in on the coast and Mikes / Ramonas is a little more inland and elevated ... up in a pine forest, right? Can you give me an idea for mileage from Tecate to Ramona's and back via the Pines and RSV? And, what does RSV mean? I've heard of the 'Compadre Trail', but not RSV. I'll look for tracks on the forum to see if that'll give me an idea.

I am talking about Sat, March 5th. I can be gone during the day, but need to be home at night.

Roger that. So, I'm a complete baja noob as you're about to see. I know there's Ramona's, Mike's, Coyotes ... from what I understand Coyotes in on the coast and Mikes / Ramonas is a little more inland and elevated ... up in a pine forest, right? Can you give me an idea for mileage from Tecate to Ramona's and back via the Pines and RSV? And, what does RSV mean? I've heard of the 'Compadre Trail', but not RSV. I'll look for tracks on the forum to see if that'll give me an idea.

Troy, I'm putting together those tracks for you. RSV=Rancho Santa Veronica...east of Tecate. Once you see the tracks and waypoints put together everything will make sense. The one day ride is a good intro/area familiarization ride. I'll be doing that ride.

I'll be happy to make this a comfortable ride for any Baja noobs who want to come, and teach you as much as i can about how to really enjoy riding in Baja. We can even go as far as Ojos.

Jim, I'm in. Sounds like a blast. Thanks for leading. And Benny, thanks for riding sweep. Super cool of you guys.

I have a buddy who rides an '07 CRF 450X. Great rider. Bike's good to go. His name is Rob and if there's room I'd love to invite him.

Just an FYI on my bike/gear:

* On my '13 500 EXC I ride with Wolfman's (E-12s) all the time. I love those things. I have tubes, tools, food, and first aid at all times. It's really nice not to have anything on my back if possible.

* I have a couple motorolas I can bring if needed, along with a short wave Yaesu (probably overkill, yeah?).

* As you know I have a Sena so it'd be fun to test comm range every now and then.

* I use a phone app called ViewRanger for GPS and love it. Great app. I used it in the back country of Montana last fall during an elk hunt and the app not only carries great GPS signal w/out cell coverage, but you can pre-load highly detailed satellite maps while off network - really nice feature. I just put my phone in 'airplane' mode, stick it on my Ram mount, and start recording. On this trip I'd love to load up a previous track for the same trail we're going to ride to see how well it works for following a track. With the Sena I'd also like to find out if the app will talk to me while I ride. Might be kind of cool to put my phone in a pocket, turn on music, turn on ViewRanger and have my helmet tell me where to go next.

Oh yeah, I'll need to figure out where this infamous gas station is you guys meet at. Any idea of the address?

Well, let me take that back. It looks like I'm out now. Sorry to flip flop.

My older brother coaches a nationally ranked High School basketball team, and they just won their semi final game. They’re now in the finals and play the #1 ranked team in the country, for the Southern Cal championship … on Saturday night. It's about as big as it gets in high school basketball. I need, and want, to be there. Bitter sweet for sure.

I'll get with you guys next time.

Guess it's just you and me, Benny. I found some really nice two track in the pines the last time I was down, so I will load onto my GPS.

I also can confirm my tires don't have any hidden tire irons. ;-)

Right on!

We can stop at a dentista in Tecate and confirm your tires cargo with a quick X-ray. :smile_anim: