Yeti

Another knee bites the dust.

I found out today that I have a "bucket tear" in my right medial meniscus. Waiting to go see the ortho but my internist says it looks bad enough that I'll need surgery.

Looking on the internet (always a good idea right :lol: ) I have seen recovery times anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months!! ;)

Please wish me luck!! No riding makes me very, very cranky.

$#!+

that sucks...how did it happen?

reminds me of a thread i wanted to start... which I will right now

And I thought landing on my head was bad :lol:

Good luck Yeti, hope you pull through this and are able to mount-up again soon ;)

Honestly, I'm not completely sure. It had been hurting a bit for about two weeks but no biggie and I was able to run and ride. Then a week ago Saturday I was running and it was twinging while I was running. I stepped off the path to go around some slower people and I felt like someone stabbed me. I was able to hobble back to my car but it's been KILLING me ever since. I finally got an MRI on Monday and the results today. I will not be a happy camper if I hear I can't ride for a while. :lol:

Oh, and thank you very much for the well-wishes!!

I guess it may finally be time to try and cure the GS's head gasket leak and to give the pig some tlc.

I found out today that I have a "bucket tear" in my right medial meniscus. Waiting to go see the ortho but my internist says it looks bad enough that I'll need surgery.

Looking on the internet (always a good idea right :lol: ) I have seen recovery times anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months!! ;)

Please wish me luck!! No riding makes me very, very cranky.

If all they do is scrape the cartilage, you should walking normally in a week, and you should be about 90% in a month. It takes about a year for all the soreness to go away.

Sometimes they can repair a tear in the cartilage depending on where it is. If they repair it, you have to take it easy longer.

I've had two knee operations. They're not that big a deal as long as you don't have torn ligaments.

Dr. Chao did arthroscopic on my torn medial miniscus and scraped cartlidge on jan 9 2008. I rehabed a few days on drugs they gave me and back to work monday jan 14 and started riding my harley to work on wednesday jan 16 but I have told myself to stay away from my dirtbikes till the desert dash so I hope to be 100% or at least close to 100% to have a good time. We all have little differences in our injuries that makes rehab different hopefully yours will be routine. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about that Bud, your recovery will depend on how bad it is and how much work they do to you.

My Medial miniscus was torn and displaced so bad they had to cut it all out. When they were done I ended up Bone on Bone so I had to wait for the end of the bones to harden up a bit so I could walk which made recovery take longer .

I hope yours is not as bad and wish you a speedy recovery!

Dr. Chao did arthroscopic on my torn medial miniscus and scraped cartlidge on jan 9 2008. I rehabed a few days on drugs they gave me and back to work monday jan 14 and started riding my harley to work on wednesday jan 16 but I have told myself to stay away from my dirtbikes till the desert dash so I hope to be 100% or at least close to 100% to have a good time. We all have little differences in our injuries that makes rehab different hopefully yours will be routine. Good luck.

Just got back from physical therapy and they said I was doing so well they put me on once a week PT instead of 2 times a week. Im already at 85% flexation.

Just got back from physical therapy and they said I was doing so well they put me on once a week PT instead of 2 times a week. Im already at 85% flexation.

Glad to hear it!! That's the kind of encouragement I need!

I see my ortho Monday morning and want to schedule surgery ASAP so I can get back to riding ASAP. I just smacked my knee into a table and almost hurled. I should probably call the Waaaahmbulance huh?? :lol2:

I rode the ktm to work today,couldnt resist but told myself "No Wheelies" or squirly stuff that may reinjur my self. :blink:;)

I rode the ktm to work today,couldnt resist but told myself "No Wheelies" or squirly stuff that may reinjur my self. ;);)

AWESOME!! I rode the GS in today myself. (You weren't gettin off the 5 north about 7:30 this morning too were you?)

My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. Based on the MRI my doc (Dr. Schultz) says it looks like the tear is in the avascular part so he'll just remove the torn cartilage. I'll be weight bearing (with crutches) right away - so I can go to the Supercross Saturday night!! - and 90% back within 3-6 weeks.

My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. Based on the MRI my doc (Dr. Schultz) says it looks like the tear is in the avascular part so he'll just remove the torn cartilage. I'll be weight bearing (with crutches) right away - so I can go to the Supercross Saturday night!! - and 90% back within 3-6 weeks.

avascular? I guess that means little or no blood flow. That's both good and bad. Good because you come back sooner. Bad because the doc can't repair the damage.

After a day or two of sitting in bed, a week of limping around, and a month of wishing your knee would stop bothering you, you'll back on the bike!

I rode the ktm to work today,couldnt resist but told myself "No Wheelies" or squirly stuff that may reinjur my self. ;);)

AWESOME!! I rode the GS in today myself. (You weren't gettin off the 5 north about 7:30 this morning too were you?)

Wasnt me on I-5...this morning. I live in north county and work in NC. Im on the 78 at about 5:40 am on the harley or KTM .Ditch the cruthes as soon as possible for less rehab time. I think the word is called atrephy?

GOOD LUCK.

Wasnt me on I-5...this morning. I live in north county and work in NC. Im on the 78 at about 5:40 am on the harley or KTM .Ditch the cruthes as soon as possible for less rehab time. I think the word is called atrephy?

GOOD LUCK.

That's what my doc said too. But I figure walking around the stadium might be too much without 'em though.

2Wheels, I was discussing that conundrum with my wife. Do you take fast recovery or long-term health of the knee? Ultimately, I don't get a choice though, the doc has to go with where the tear is.

2Wheels, I was discussing that conundrum with my wife. Do you take fast recovery or long-term health of the knee? Ultimately, I don't get a choice though, the doc has to go with where the tear is.

A repairable tear is better as far as I'm concerned, but hey, there's a lot to be said for faster rehab. No tear is best of all.

A repairable tear is better as far as I'm concerned, but hey, there's a lot to be said for faster rehab. No tear is best of all.

Well, I had the surgery yesterday. It was not a repairable tear, so he removed the torn part. Last night was no fun but I'm feeling much better this morning. I'll be off it all day today and tomorrow but will be at the Supercross tomorrow night on crutches. :rolleyes:

Last night was no fun but I'm feeling much better this morning.

You didn't get percocets or vicodins? I was feeling fine the day after my surgeries. Well, for as long as I could stay awake anyway. One vicodin and I'd feel fine for 15 minutes then conk out for about 8 hours.

Last night was no fun but I'm feeling much better this morning.

You didn't get percocets or vicodins? I was feeling fine the day after my surgeries. Well, for as long as I could stay awake anyway. One vicodin and I'd feel fine for 15 minutes then conk out for about 8 hours.

I got Percocets, lots of 'em, but they weren't working for some reason. It was just this nasty deep ache. ut about 3am it finally went away and it's been all good today.

I got Percocets, lots of 'em, but they weren't working for some reason. It was just this nasty deep ache. ut about 3am it finally went away and it's been all good today.

I guess everyone reacts differently. With me, they didn't make the pain go away, but just one vicodin had me so high, I didn't care about the pain. Then after a little while, my eyelids got droopy and I nodded off.

Anyway, good to hear you're on track to getting better.