meatmord

Coolant question

When I was riding yesterday in the desert I saw some goldish (I'm colorblind) fluid come out of a tube under my skid plate. I smelled it and it wasn't gas...today I tracked the tube to the top of my radiator.

Since the air box and transmission oil were both horribly filthy, I figured I'd do the coolant too.

Some questions:

(1) when I drained the coolant, the same golden fluid came out. It was pretty clean. But, I was fairly alarmed to find that only 4-6 ounces drained. It might have been a little more than that, but not much. Is that a normal amount to expect upon draining? The bike was running fine at the end of the day, and fired up no prob when I got home, but I am wondering if its possible I did any damage...in the event i was riding around with too little coolant.

(2) I just filled filled the radiator with new (also gold) fluid to the point where I can see it at the top of the radiator, about 1/2 inch below the rim where the radiator cap goes. Is that too much? If so, do I need to drain some? Or will it eject all that is excessive on its own when I warm her up?

Thanks guys.

So, first of all, the fluid dripping from your bike probably was coolant. This is not uncommon, especially while running the bike extra hard, i.e. while racing etc. Or when it hot. It's made to overflow like that when the fluid temps goes higher than usual.

You should check your fluid level regularly. Just remove the radiator cap when the bike is cold. The fluid should just be covering the top of the radiator fins. Anymore than that, and you'll experience overflow again when the bike is hot. So if you overfilled it, no problem, just run it and it will regulate itself to the correct level.

When draining the fluid, you have to remember that there is not only fluid in the radiators themselves, but also in the radiator hoses and inside the engine. Some bikes have a small fluid drain plug on the engine...not sure about yours though. If you only got 5 to 6 ounces out, you either didn't drain the motor and lines, or the fluid level was really low and further investigation is warranted. The coolant system should take somewhere near 1 liter total.

yea she took about a liter when I filled her up. When draining I rocked the bike as far to each side as I could expecting more to flow at at some point, just never did. Thus my concern.

thanks.

Gold fluid in the cars, blue in the bikes.I have Engine Ice in the KTM 950, 540 Beta 520 and son in laws YZ450. Some say it's better and I agree. :big_boss:

And good advice!

You should check your fluid level regularly. Just remove the radiator cap when the bike is cold. The fluid should just be covering the top of the radiator fins. WITH BIKE LEVEL.